IGNORED

I Bought It!! What Now??

malenurse13

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK Bobby,

You got my attention! First off, Congrats to Andrew for his "new to you" Venture! You won't be disappointed. I offer two kits for the Second Gens.

The first kit is the basic kit, which will take care of a clutch that has NOT been slipping for a while, and has relatively low miles on the engine. Here is the link to that kit:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/photopost/showproduct.php?product=62&title=second-gen-heavy-duty-clutch-spring-26amp-3b-full-disc-upgrade-kit&cat=17

If your bike has higher mileage, or the clutch has been slipping for a while, I suggest that you replace the remaining clutch friction discs, here is the link for that kit:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/photopost/showproduct.php?product=53&title=first-and-second-gen-7-new-genuine-yamaha-clutch-friction-discs&cat=17

I personally am the kind of person that likes to repair things ONCE, and get on with the riding part. If I had purchased a used bike with a slipping clutch, I would repair it one time, using both kits, and be done with it. With that being said, there has been MORE than one time that I basically spent all the money I had on the purchase of a new to me scoot, and parts money was pretty scarce. If this is the case, then install the basic kit, and when she slips again, install the second kit. Your mileage may vary. You do have the advantage of the extended riding season being as far down south as you are, so your repair "down time" is much shorter than someone like myself that lives much farther north. As always Andy, only YOU know how deep your pockets are, and weather or not you want to work on the same issue over and over again. I'll leave that choice up to you. If you have any other questions about your clutch or your bike in general, please feel free to pose the question to the forum. There are many members here that will guide you thru pretty much any repair or mod you would like to do to your bike.

Congrats again Andy, and welcome to the family!

Earl

Edited by skydoc_17
CRAYON BROKE!

• 3 weeks later...
Well, I didn't have this forum with me when I went and bought some new oil.

Here's what I got. What do y'all think??

One of the Rotella's synthetics isn't JASO MA Certified if I remember correctly. Just can't remember which one and it's clearly not labeled on the bottle that it meets the JASO MA spec. There was a discussion about it on another forum. Can't remember which forum now. This lack of memory thing can't have anything to do with age, can it?

Well, I didn't have this forum with me when I went and bought some new oil.

Here's what I got. What do y'all think??

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111703

You got it right. That's what I use also.

As for the clutch, it is likely just the spring. There are several ways to slay this dragon and many opinions on here as to the best solution. Therefore, I can only give mine. Others will surely weigh in.

The stock spring is a bellville washer type spring (think big washer that is bowed in the middle). If you want to maintain the stock style, you can replace this washer every 25-30k miles or go with the heavier Vmax spring that will last 35-40k. You will hear about a modification to the inner friction disc that replaces the half disc (and an additional half spring) with a full friction disc. I found this didn't do much of anything other than to reduce the friction zone on the clutch handle. Didn't like it - YMMV.

I moved to a Barnett conversion kit with heavy duty springs. I've got a solid 60k+ on this setup without any slipping. Currently 157k miles on my red 2000.

I believe there is a writeup on here about doing the conversion. Here it is

Good luck. Feel free to ask any questions.

RR

Edit: Skydoc17 is an excellent resource for clutch parts (and advise, and ....).

Edit #2 : Do yourself a favor and pony up the $12 for full membership here. Best money you can spend if you own a Venture.

One of the Rotella's synthetics isn't JASO MA Certified if I remember correctly. Just can't remember which one and it's clearly not labeled on the bottle that it meets the JASO MA spec. There was a discussion about it on another forum. Can't remember which forum now. This lack of memory thing can't have anything to do with age, can it?

Estella t5 synthetic blend is the one that don't have it on the back.