IGNORED

I Bought It!! What Now??

malenurse13

I thank everyone on this forum for all the good advice before buying this Venture. I'm very happy with the purchase. It was a 50 mile ride home, mostly highway. So I got a good feel for it today.

0129181137.jpg

HOWEVER...

This Venture is quite different from the V-Twin sports bike I've been riding the last 2 years. So I have some questions...

1. What speed do y'all normally cruise on the highway? Any faster than 75 or 80 seemed a bit too much for my Venture today.

2. Is some backfiring on deceleration normal? If not, what could be causing it?

3. Unfortunately, the previous owner left this bike out in the sun A LOT. The thick black hoses (air intake??) under the tank are dry rotted. There is a lot of superficial rust. What do I need to look for that I might NOT see so easily that could also be damaged from keeping the bike outside all the time??

4. The horn works half the time. I got cruise control to work only the first time I tried it. I could not get it to work again. What could be causing all the buttons and switches to be so sketchy? Could it be all the time in the sun? Could it be just old wiring? Both?

Here's a pic of the hoses that are dry rotted... Where can I find some new ones??

0129181403.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The smaller headlight on the left side is not working either. Does anyone know what bulb I need to buy to replace it? Are there any better bulbs y'all would recommend? I do a lot of night time riding and I want to see all the DEER on the side of the road!

bulb.jpg

Congrats on the new bike! Can you be a little bit more specific about what you mean when you say it doesn't handle as well after 75 or 80 miles an hour. I have an 83 that backfires whenever I downshift coming off the highway. If I just use the brakes and do not downshift it does not backfire. I have tried everything to correct that but nothing seems to work.

Congrats on the purchase! I think you're going to love it once you get it straightened out.

The only comments I can give with certainty are that 75 or 80 shouldn't have been an issue, but I know what you are talking about when you say it felt like it was too much. If the bike is in decent mechanical condition it will go faster with no problem if needed. I think what you are feeling is that it is only a 5-speed.

I had a sporadic issue with my cruise control and it was the starting circuit relay, which is located below the drivers seat under that body panel that goes side to side. Mine had become dislodged and was leaning against the hot engin and melted ... but it also affected things like the fuel pump ... so doesn't sound like the same thing.

I thank everyone on this forum for all the good advice before buying this Venture. I'm very happy with the purchase. It was a 50 mile ride home, mostly highway. So I got a good feel for it today.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111429

HOWEVER...

This Venture is quite different from the V-Twin sports bike I've been riding the last 2 years. So I have some questions...

1. What speed do y'all normally cruise on the highway? Any faster than 75 or 80 seemed a bit too much for my Venture today.

3. Unfortunately, the previous owner left this bike out in the sun A LOT. The thick black hoses (air intake??) under the tank are dry rotted. There is a lot of superficial rust. What do I need to look for that I might NOT see so easily that could also be damaged from keeping the bike outside all the time??

4. The horn works half the time. I got cruise control to work only the first time I tried it. I could not get it to work again. What could be causing all the buttons and switches to be so sketchy? Could it be all the time in the sun? Could it be just old wiring? Both?

Here's a pic of the hoses that are dry rotted... Where can I find some new ones??

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111428

1. 75 - 80 should be no problem at all, I am guessing that you are running on 3 cylinders. These things run amazingly smooth on 3.

2. some light popping on decel is very common, Any pinhole leaks in the exhaust and the decel diaphragm in the carbs are the 2 most common culprits.

3. and 4. It is very possible that the switch contacts are dirty, It is part of my annual spring maintenance to clean the switched on my 1st gen, I am not sure if yours are as easy to service. All rubber hoses are suspect, especially the rubber brake lines.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111429

HOWEVER...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111428

The intake rubbers that you show here have normal cracking for the age of this bike. These are very thick rubber and will not need to be replaced even though this cracking looks really bad. To check if you have leaks in these you can spray WD40 or similar over them while the bike is running. If it doesn't change idle speed then there is no leak and you probably have several years of life left in the intake boots.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I second the exhaust leak on decel popping, i found my leak to be off the rear header with bad copper oring. mine is first gen tho, now the big black hoses are you carb manifolds at least what i call them, this could be causing a lean condition, possible replace i would replace just because the shape there in, then I would finish that off with a good carb sync and see where you stand there. my bike would also fire right up with just 2 cylinders firing... and yes only 3 cylinders if you dont know these bikes and motors you would never know you was running 3 cylinders but once you get all 4 firing O MY LAND YEEHAW!!!!!

The smaller headlight on the left side is not working either. Does anyone know what bulb I need to buy to replace it? Are there any better bulbs y'all would recommend? I do a lot of night time riding and I want to see all the DEER on the side of the road!

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111430

Head light bulb is H4 your driving/passing light bulbs are H3

Some people upgrade to LED or daymakers.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hey, congrats on the new bike!

Good price for a bike that's running well enough to get you home with no problems aside from some high speed concerns!

From a quick glance you really don't need to add anything right now EXCEPT a good set of Kuryakin GRIPS! Lose those things we're looking at as fast as you can - if for nothing else but handling in low speed situs (remember; top heavy!!!) The difference will be instantly noticeable, AND reassuring.

If it was OUR bike, we'd run a 1000 miles as is, just to get comfortable with a bike that's totally foreign to what you've been riding. THEN go at 'er with a vengeance, and enjoy the Puttering Around.

You have one huge advantage over most of us: location - NO WAITING UNTIL SPRING!

Another thing we'd do is track down The Forum Guys in your area, and... TALK TO THEM.

Again, congratulations! We loved the way you came on board with a legit purpose, and solid list of questions, then without any dilly-dallying around, you just went and grabbed The 'Wee Beastie'!

You are obviously a Good Listener, and you'll LOVE the feedback available here.

Rgds, WRIDR

The pop on decell could be from the AIS "smog" system. Sometimes when blocked off they get a leak and pop, because it basically is part of the exhaust and pumps some of that wir into the intake. There are ways to disconnect it if it is not already. The driving/passing lights can take a PAR 36 bulb if incandescent (sealed beam) If its a bulb that goes into a housing its probably a H3. There are some LED bulbs that work, the same bulb goes in the Harley lights. While your poking around the passing lights find out if they wired thru a relay. That thing should rool @ 80 mph without even breathing hard.

Congrats on the new bike! Can you be a little bit more specific about what you mean when you say it doesn't handle as well after 75 or 80 miles an hour. I have an 83 that backfires whenever I downshift coming off the highway. If I just use the brakes and do not downshift it does not backfire. I have tried everything to correct that but nothing seems to work.

I probably shouldn't have said that. It was VERY windy on the interstate and with the fairings all attached to the front forks... that probably had a lot to do with the ride. My main problem was vibration. The bike seemed very smooth around 60-70. But when I accelerated faster than that... It seemed there was a lot more vibration. But yes, It is probably the tires or bearings. My Suzuki Intruder was the exact same way.

... I had a sporadic issue with my cruise control and it was the starting circuit relay, which is located below the drivers seat under that body panel that goes side to side. Mine had become dislodged and was leaning against the hot engin and melted ... but it also affected things like the fuel pump ... so doesn't sound like the same thing.

On my last bike, my fuel pump relay became dislodged. The bike would spit and surge with any bump on the road. Once I put the relay back in place, the bike ran MUCH smoother. I'll take a good look under the "hood" on this bike some day soon and make sure nothing is dislodged.

1. 75 - 80 should be no problem at all, I am guessing that you are running on 3 cylinders. These things run amazingly smooth on 3.

I hope I'm running on all 4!! The guy that at the dealership (bike was on consignment) said it ran just as good as any other Venture's he'd ever ridden.

BUT just in case... How can I find out for sure if a carb is not working? (feel the exhaust?) And how would I fix it?

Edited by malenurse13

Hey, congrats on the new bike!

Again, congratulations! We loved the way you came on board with a legit purpose, and solid list of questions, then without any dilly-dallying around, you just went and grabbed The 'Wee Beastie'!

Rgds, WRIDR

I would NOT have bought the bike if it wasn't for all the advice on this forum and the reassurance that 45k miles was "just getting broken in." Thank you all for your input this week.

The forum response with my last bike (tlzone.net) helped me find AND FIX every problem I ever had. Literally improved my experience with that bike by 300%.

I look forward to the same experience here.

Thanks again!

I hope this isn't a problem. The guy that at the dealership (bike was on consignment) said it ran just as good as any other Venture's he'd ever ridden.

BUT just in case... How can I find out for sure if a carb is not working? (feel the exhaust?) And how would I fix it?

It might not be the carb. First and easiest way is to feel the exhaust pipes right off the engine. If one is heating up slower than the rest than you have one that isn't firing right. From there check the plug and do a spark test. If that checks out than move to the carb. There is a post somewhere about synchronizing the carbs. Do a search in the second gen technical section.

Like said earlier, your backfiring might be the AIS system. There's a write up in the 2 gen tech library on how to plug it.

I plugged mine years ago. Problem solved.

The clutch lever on mine gave me some issues, not allowing me to set or res my cruise. The lever would come all the way out except for the last 1/16" or so. Just a tap with my finger and it was all good.

I cleaned and lubed the pivot point and that fixed it.

Just to add to the backfiring list of items, if your exhaust is too free flowing such as an open pipe you can get back fire. If a float is sticking in a carb you can get back fire and engine miss.In this case the faulty carb often overflows during idle and you may see gas dripping on the ground. Same if an enrichment valve is stuck (often refered to as the choke). A malfunctioning carb can cause a misfire that can make you think its electrical and a bike that has sat for a long time without running can often result in carb issues.

A coil that is working hit and miss can cause a cylinder misfire but gas still goes through the cylinder when the raw gas hits a enough exhaust temp in the exhaust pipe it can cause a backfire. A simple thing to check over is all the primary wiring for your ignition if the bike sees enough wet weather, you may need to open and clean all your connections. I once thought I needed to replace my ignition module but when I took it out and saw all the green I cleaned it, put it all back together and the bike has run like a dream Plugs are a cheap investment and try running the bike in total darkness to see if you can spot any arcing from the plug wires or boots. look while everyrthing is dry 1st than do it again whil spraying a mist of water all over the plug wires.

Your handling issue sounds like tires, they may be out of balance or just sat for so long that they developed flat spots and with age the rubber gets harder and less able to return to its proper shape.

Once you get the bugs out of it you will have one awsome bike.

Brightest passing lights I've had on my bike are the GE H7616. Far brighter and longer reach than the Silverstar Ultra sealed beam.

The H7616 is a Halogen "very narrow spot". This allows you to point each passing light. Set height the way you would your head light. Left passing light I have slightly right to not blind oncoming cars. The right is more towards the shoulder.

They are a PAR36 4 1/2" sealed beam with screw terminals.

Couple easy things to do :

1) Add Seafoam to the gas. It will help clear out gunk in the fuel system. Don't be afraid to add a full can of Seafoam to half a tank of gas.

2) Do a carb tune on your carbs. This might be all you need for the popping on deceleration. I've seen tuning the carbs and synching them resolve this issue. As for "plugging the AIS" others have written that this made no difference. Didn't think anyone still did it.

3) Tires - older than 7 years? Replace them.

4) Steering head - there is a right up on a quick fix for this without tearing it apart. Only way I can see it being bearings is if you had a LOT of miles on it. For the steering head to test it, put the bike on a lift (see CarbonOne's lift adapter) and turn the wheel 45 degrees to the left, hold it and release (do not "bounce" test it). If the wheel holds and doesn't move you are good. If the wheel falls to the left on it's own, you need to tighten the steering head.

5) Horn - check your ground connection on the horn and clean the switch. The horn works off the ground making connection.

6) Passing lights - I recommend the GE H7616 bulbs - very bright, very narrow beam, reasonably inexpensive. Make sure you aim them at headlight height though....they are VERY bright

7) "running on three cylinders" - Seafoam might help. It cleans with flow so you need to run the bike, different throttle positions to loosen the gunk. It will help. After going thru the tank of gas, use an infrared thermometer to check pipe temperatures. Do this in the first minute of starting a cold bike. Compare all four pipes. Could be a fouled plug too so replace them before replacing any coils or wiring.

I'm going to guess that you'll find one of the 4 exhaust header pipes is heating up more slowly than the rest. A coil failure has already been mentioned as a probable issue, although it might be a carb issue.

A heavy dose of Seafoam is a good starting point. Then run the tank w seafoam thru the engine.