IGNORED

off topic dna

rbig1

Well has anyone else done the dna test to see if your human. hahahaha My aunts wanted me to take my dads sample because he cant. there into the past and where we came from. I asked them what if it comes back were not human. they fired right back we would all join the circus and get rich. :big-grin-emoticon:

Well has anyone else done the dna test to see if your human. hahahaha My aunts wanted me to take my dads sample because he cant. there into the past and where we came from. I asked them what if it comes back were not human. they fired right back we would all join the circus and get rich. :big-grin-emoticon:
I think genealogies are an old people thing. Some of my brothers are picking up the mantle from my dad and Grandpa who did a pretty amazing job chronicling the Tyler five generations of Nebraskans but not much farther back than that.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I wanted to do this but looked into it further by reading the fine print. Your info can be peddled and given to any gov't entity at any time without your consent when you buy into this. I know the old saying "If you have done nothing wrong you should have nothing to fear". I believe in the other saying "Don't give them any excuse or ammunition". :duck:I do have a sister that has spent a lot of time researching our past she says we have a descendant that came over on the Mayflower. He was probably a deckhand.:doh:

I wanted to do this but looked into it further by reading the fine print. Your info can be peddled and given to any gov't entity at any time without your consent when you buy into this. I know the old saying "If you have done nothing wrong you should have nothing to fear". I believe in the other saying "Don't give them any excuse or ammunition". :duck:I do have a sister that has spent a lot of time researching our past she says we have a descendant that came over on the Mayflower. He was probably a deckhand.:doh:

It sure deserves the risk vs benefit consideration that should be given to essentially every decision. I'm not seeing how this information can be misused but if there is any sinister way to use DNA info I'm sure the US gov is the right entity to turn that around on us.

My sis also did some legwork and traced us back to Scotland on one side and a couple other European components from the other.

My wife had a DNA test done. She is from Siberia, Russia. One surprising thing was that it said she was 5% Native American. The Russians did settle Alaska and sold it to the USA. Many Russians lived in the Washington/ Oregon area early in the history of the country as I remember.

She insisted I had mine checked so I did. I supposedly am about 94% West European with the highest percentage Irish, about 28%. It also said that with "low confidence" that I was 3% African,

Edited by BlueSky

She insisted I had mine checked so I did. I supposedly am about 94% West European with the highest percentage Irish, about 28%. It also said that with "low confidence" that I was 3% African, 1% Nigerian, I think science has well established that Homo Sapiens all came out of Africa and spread throughout the whole world so your mixture would seem to be "normal". Pretty amazing journey.

I think its a waste of money at this point in time. Notoriously inaccurate.

read this article https://www.thedoctorstv.com/articles/3863-the-triplets-put-ancestry-kits-to-the-test

do a google search for twins and triplets taking DNA test its amazing, even in those case where the testing company knew ahead of time they had twins the results showed otherwise. It also throws a lot of doubt on DNA testing in general for legal purposes. https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/06/a-reasonable-doubt/480747/

I have no doubt that the process may improve in the future. For medical purpose testing for certain marker genes for the most effective therapy does enhance survivability of a lot of conditions, but those test are done under way different conditions.

Absolutely sterile environments for the taking of the sample, multiple samples taken the test in run 20 or more times and cost upwards of $40K to the insurer! not $99.00 at "who's your daddy" or "am i royal princess" . com or other sites.

Edited by baylensman

That was an interesting read.

Randy

Yes it was.This line especially. A new technique known as low-copy-number analysis can derive a full DNA profile from as little as 10 trillionths of a gram of genetic material, by copying DNA fragments into a sample large enough for testing. The technique not only carries a higher risk of sample contamination and allele dropout, but could also implicate someone who never came close to the crime scene. Given the growing reliance on the codis database—which allows police to use DNA samples to search for possible suspects, rather than just to verify the involvement of existing suspects—the need to consider exculpatory evidence is greater than ever.

Like I said before no excuses or ammunition.

Think about it. In the not too distant future, a young healthy person has his DNA profile in one of these in one of these data banks. Now a rich person somewhere in the world has a disease that requires a very specific organ. That young healthy person who just wanted to know where he came from is never heard from again. Hey, it could happen.

Think about it. In the not too distant future, a young healthy person has his DNA profile in one of these in one of these data banks. Now a rich person somewhere in the world has a disease that requires a very specific organ. That young healthy person who just wanted to know where he came from is never heard from again. Hey, it could happen.
A really rich person could have his own Parts grown from his own DNA. Soon. We really do need to open some discussions nationally about the ethics of cloning, and on how to handle artificial intelligence that's smarter than us.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

wow. We are all over the place what can and shouldn't do. In ten years maybe less they will call it obsolete. You may have to pull a tooth or a nail to get correct id. May even have to read chip in your arm. Your being tracked with your cell phone now. You reach a certain age in future may self destruct from chip. They could even use the dead for fuel. :scared:

My nephew did the 23 and me test and got a message from a gal in California that matched them as second cousins. Turns out they are first cousins and my nieces from an older brother I never met. They had no clue that their dad had 6 half brothers and sisters. We have communicated via messenger and are hoping to get together this summer.

O come on guys DNA does not lie!!! There was also a problem with the labs down in Georgia in the late 90's which is where all of Missouri were sending DNA samples. For Paternity, Rapes and Murders. I still after 20 yrs don't trust mine but thats a horse of a different color, which I won't go into on this site.

wow. We are all over the place what can and shouldn't do. In ten years maybe less they will call it obsolete. You may have to pull a tooth or a nail to get correct id. May even have to read chip in your arm. Your being tracked with your cell phone now. You reach a certain age in future may self destruct from chip. They could even use the dead for fuel. :scared:

"soyulent green is made out of people"

"soyulent green is made out of people"

You just beat me to this one............

Wait!!! are we showing our age???

Thorn: Ocean's dying, plankton's dying... it's people. *Soylent Green is made out of people.* They're making our food out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle for food.