IGNORED

Fridge repairman??

Yammer Dan

Late last spring my 14 yr old Kenmore fridge quit cooling. After scratching my er...head for a while I figured low on gas. Added gas still didn't work. Dug a little deeper and Start relay was out. Replaced it and it RAN!!! since then I have never been able to get setting just right My thoughts were too much gas in it. Had very poor way of measuring what I put in.. It would freeze stuff in fridge or freezer would thaw out. This morning it just went belly up. Start relay is kicking but compressor not starting up. Should I just dump the thing bite the bullet and buy a new one??? I unplugged the thing and going to let set for couple hrs. One thought I had was if I had got gas level wrong it could have finally settled in compressor and froze it up??? Would that happen?? I'm thinking I need to just dump it and buy a new one!!! If it ain't one thing its another or10!!!!

Probably be less expensive to get yours repaired. But, tempting to buy new. Decisions! Decisions! I'd probably buy new. If you had one of those home warranties, they always pay for repairs. You'd never get a new appliance. One of my neighbors has a home warranty and they keep repairing his 25 yr old heat pump. I got tired of the constant repairs on my two Rheem heat pumps at 15 yrs and had both replaced with more efficient more reliable units. I noticed the difference in the electric bill because they are more efficient. That was ten yrs ago and last year I had to call the repairman for the first time and the part was still under the ten yr warranty.

Got it unplugged for couple hrs and its probally off to store. House was built with very small fridge space and makes it hard. 34 inch width is about all we can take and the Warden likes that black wrinkled finish. Not sure that is even out there. I was trying to pile up a little cash for something special and this knocks it down again!! Ain't retirement and that dinky check fun!!

A wew fridge will probably save you $80.00 to 120 a year on electric. The new fridge also got more room inside with the same foot print. I'd suggest freezer on the bottom this time around I've had top side by side and bottom mount. By far the bottom is most convenient.

Plus i get the bonus of occasionally catching her bending over to grab a bag of veggies

Whatever you do Don't get a Samsung!

We got an upright, twin door, lower freezer compartment model 4 years ago.

We've had so much trouble with it. (the icemaker/ dispenser freezes up solid) repairman out 5 times, icemaker replaced twice, tells us "oh! Yea! this is a bad design, always have trouble with it.

Didn't tell us that when we bought it did ya???!!! Oh no! it was the greatest!... twin cooling compressors... blah! blah! just so much BS.

In my life I have never bought a new fridge. In the few times I have bought another one, I have picked up a nice one off Craigslist where someone is moving and either they were not taking it, or their new buyer had their own. What I have bought has only been a couple years old and I paid probably 20% or less for it compared to what the original purchase price was. I do realize that in your neck of the woods, a lot of stuff is just not available locally.

Randy

If you put too much gas (R12 or R134A ?)..... The overcharge will over amp the compressor and likely trip it out on thermal overload. You can try to dump a bit of it out, but it'd be tough to get it just right. Usually have to weigh it in. Hillbilly method would be to slowly dump gas until the liquid line (The line that exits the condenser) is mildly warm, and suction line is cool / cold. That should get it close.

Having said that.....I'd just get a new one.

Good luck.:banana:

Played with it and got it started. It ran for about 6 hrs but didn't cool at al. Temp in fridge 60 F. Can't find my adapter to dump more gas into it. I think I left it where Warden could put it away...:bang head: I've tinkered so much with it a new one might be smartest way to go. I've got it running fine now but it just Runs & Runs and doesn't cool.

Unplugged it for the night. I'll hunt for my adapter in the morning and dump a little more ga in it and go fridge hunting in the afternoon....:bang head::bang head:

I have learned ONE thing. I am NOT a refrigerator repairman!!!!

Edited by Yammer Dan

Without evacuating and putting in a specific weight of gas or having gauges hooked up, it is really hard to get it right. To hi or to low are both bad. If you managed to get some air in the system then the air will mess things no mater what you do with the charge level.

I have one of them fancy side by side with drawer under those and lower freezer Samsung. Would not buy another. It has been noisier than my old Kenmore since day one. When it drops a load of ice in the bin it sounds like an avalanche. For the big bucks it was new sure not worth it. I have not had to do any repairs, but the fancy display on the door has digits that no longer work. A little research goes a long way. I have been researching dishwashers and a couple other appliances my self.

Line from condenser is warm and line exiting compressor is cool but doing nothing as far as cooling. Figure it has to be Low???:think:

Curious as to how you're adding gas. Did you put a tap-a-line (in the trade they call them tap-a-leak) on it?

Typically it's the first reaction to want to put some of that Freezone in it. lol. It's pretty common to think that'll solve the problem.

,,,,,,But you gotta ask....where'd the gas go?......If it has a leak, it's not going to do much good to put more gas in if it's just going to leak out again, so to make the repair, you'd have to find and repair the leak before evacuating and recharging.

Another consideration is that if it's charged with R134a, which would be the most likely, ...R134a is a blend, and when it does have a leak, different components of the blend leak out at different rates, which changes the blend left in the machine.

Another common issue would be that the compressor is no longer pumping efficiently, and cannot produce the compression required to make the whole pressure / temperature / condensation / evaporation process work effectively.

I've been a Commercial / industrial HVAC and sometimes refrigeration guy for 30 years now, and frankly, if I have issues with the fridge, I just get a new one. The tiny systems in a modern refrigerator are precisely built and setup at a factory, and it's difficult to get that precision in the field. They're charged down to the fraction of an ounce, and I'd guess there's an ounce or so left in the hoses between the charging tank and the machine. Such a small amount of gas makes no difference in a large commercial machine, but that one ounce can be half the charge of a small machine.

I'd say you gave it a valiant effort, but so as to not risk spoiling any food, which can easily match the cost of the new 'fridge, I say go shopping for a new one.

Best of luck.:guitarist 2:

Curious as to how you're adding gas. Did you put a tap-a-line (in the trade they call them tap-a-leak) on it?

Typically it's the first reaction to want to put some of that Freezone in it. lol. It's pretty common to think that'll solve the problem.

,,,,,,But you gotta ask....where'd the gas go?......If it has a leak, it's not going to do much good to put more gas in if it's just going to leak out again, so to make the repair, you'd have to find and repair the leak before evacuating and recharging.

Another consideration is that if it's charged with R134a, which would be the most likely, ...R134a is a blend, and when it does have a leak, different components of the blend leak out at different rates, which changes the blend left in the machine.

Another common issue would be that the compressor is no longer pumping efficiently, and cannot produce the compression required to make the whole pressure / temperature / condensation / evaporation process work effectively.

I've been a Commercial / industrial HVAC and sometimes refrigeration guy for 30 years now, and frankly, if I have issues with the fridge, I just get a new one. The tiny systems in a modern refrigerator are precisely built and setup at a factory, and it's difficult to get that precision in the field. They're charged down to the fraction of an ounce, and I'd guess there's an ounce or so left in the hoses between the charging tank and the machine. Such a small amount of gas makes no difference in a large commercial machine, but that one ounce can be half the charge of a small machine.

I'd say you gave it a valiant effort, but so as to not risk spoiling any food, which can easily match the cost of the new 'fridge, I say go shopping for a new one.

Smart man,, got it all right. If I have a problem with a fridge??? out it goes, no need to spend money on a repair that won't fix it. On the other hand we have a newer used one that we have out in the garage that on occasion will freeze up the inside coil, and then it gets warm and runs and runs. We thaw it out and it's good again for months until it does it again. We don't store meat in it anymore.

Played with it and got it started. It ran for about 6 hrs but didn't cool at al. Temp in fridge 60 F. Can't find my adapter to dump more gas into it. I think I left it where Warden could put it away...:bang head: I've tinkered so much with it a new one might be smartest way to go. I've got it running fine now but it just Runs & Runs and doesn't cool.

Then just what good is it........ I'd kick it to the curb. I'd look for one of them newfangled smart fridgedators that has a TV in the front that tells you when your out of eggs and spies on you when you catch the warden going after vegables then post the video on Facebook for you...........that's what I'd do alright :backinmyday::mo money::thumbsup2:

Our 12 year old LG (Kenmoore) has the bottom freezer. It was getting louder and louder. I found a youtube video of the fan replacement process and it didn't look too bad. The fan was behind a panel in the freezer. I ordered a fan online and it took about 20 minutes to change. The hardest part was pulling the unit out to unplug the power. It is quiet as a mouse now. The house has to be perfectly quiet to hear it running.

I did add a tap and I'm not "running" completely blind on this one. I used to "Run' with a very good Fridge & HVAC man. He was great in his field (Brother-in-Law Gone now) He taught me a lot but kept me around on his "Job" because of my work ethics back then. Need to climb thru a crapinfeasted Sub-basement to fix something?? If it needed to be done in those days I didn't hesitate. He was very good on refrigerators and I even had my own set of gauges to do this right but somewhere along the line somebody wanted them more than I did . When this thing acted up at 1st I started thinking Freon. I was probally wrong as I discovered the compressor was not running. Long story was I coukld feel a slight vibration in compressor (from Fan??) and BIL had told me new ones ran so smooth & silent it was hard to tell if they were running but anyway I didn't replace starter until after I had add Tap and attempted to recharge. Without proper gauges!!! If I had replaced starter first it might have cured it but talked myself into Freon!! Sometimes I'm not too bright!!!! After I "Fixed" it the first time with starter & freon it would cool but Too Much!! Had it turned down as far as it would go and at times it still tried freezing stuff in the fridge side. The other morning it just quit cooling completely. No warning just stopped. It seems to be running fine. I did hear the starter trying to kick the compressor on a few times just before it died but I'm pretty sure compressor is running now. 68 in the thing this morning.

Had to eat the leftovers she was hording!!! Sat milk & juice outside in snow then it warms up!!! We have another fridge in the Warden's place next door. And she gets to say again. " Its a good thing I bought that place!!" ( And spent most of my Trike money!!) New one is very close to old one. We liked the old one they just don't last 30 yrs anymore like they used to!! And I still think I CAN FIX IT!!!!

Our 12 year old LG (Kenmoore) has the bottom freezer. It was getting louder and louder. I found a youtube video of the fan replacement process and it didn't look too bad. The fan was behind a panel in the freezer. I ordered a fan online and it took about 20 minutes to change. The hardest part was pulling the unit out to unplug the power. It is quiet as a mouse now. The house has to be perfectly quiet to hear it running.

This is interesting as I spent over 15 years with a company that made fan motors for the appliance industry. I was their Corporate Quality Manager and they were producing 65,000 motors a week. They were Morrill Motors and were bought out by Regal Beloit. When I was with them they had four plants in three states. Now, they have about 1/2 of one plant left and most went to China. When I was with them, the cast iron frame motor was known as a 20 year motor and the aluminum frame motor was about a 15 year motor. I have heard now that they are a five year motor at best.

If you haven't thrown the motor away, I would be interested to know if it was a Morrill Motor.

Randy

There are two fans in the freezer area. One blows up into the fridge, the other for the ice maker. Did not see any manufacturer ID.

Same motor on both. Housings had minor differences.

IMG_20170906_174910785_HDR.jpg

Fan housing was not snapped together very well when I got it.