IGNORED

WANTED: Voyager Trike Kit for 2013 RSV

bknsaddle

Cancer surgery & Chemo have left me weaker (and age doesn't help), so I need to get off 2 wheels.

I'm looking for a Voyager Kit to put on my 2 Gen RSV.

Contact Steve at 256-509-0415 or samoz@hotmail.com

I NEED TO CONTINUE RIDING!!!

I will pray for you, there is nothing like riding to lift up ones spirits I may leave with frown on my face but return with a big grin. I hope you kick cancer in the teeth!!

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

I will pray for you, there is nothing like riding to lift up ones spirits I may leave with frown on my face but return with a big grin. I hope you kick cancer in the teeth!!

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

Thank you Snyper316. Have had 3 follow-up scans that are clear.

The Chemo absolutely kicked my a$$! I've never felt so weak, sick, and tired.

Doing better now, but don't know that I will ever return to the shape I was in before the cancer.

"Live Every Moment, Laugh Every Day"

Hope you find one, as you know all RSV's are the same from '99 to 2013. Something in the back of my mind says it's their model 2 or 4 or something like that...

Yea, it's a Voyager "B" frame model I'm looking for, but I'd probably consider an Insta Trike kit also. The issue with Insta Trike is that the manufacturer will not sell just the mounting kit, so I'd have to find an Insta Trike kit that came off an RSV.

Yea, it's a Voyager "B" frame model I'm looking for, but I'd probably consider an Insta Trike kit also. The issue with Insta Trike is that the manufacturer will not sell just the mounting kit, so I'd have to find an Insta Trike kit that came off an RSV.

That's how I found my Voyager. Craigslist. You can find the used chassis just about everywhere for around 2 grand, but Voyager wants another $700 bucks for the mounting kit. So it was just dumb ass luck that I ran into mine when I did. Take note if you ever do, the buyer for used RSV Voyager is a rare breed. I got mine cheap because I think I was the only O.F. in the Western US with an RSV looking for one... Good luck finding one and with the cancer/chemo treatments. No chemo but had the same problem....

2014-06-05 18.07.11.jpg

That's how I found my Voyager. Craigslist. You can find the used chassis just about everywhere for around 2 grand, but Voyager wants another $700 bucks for the mounting kit. So it was just dumb ass luck that I ran into mine when I did. Take note if you ever do, the buyer for used RSV Voyager is a rare breed. I got mine cheap because I think I was the only O.F. in the Western US with an RSV looking for one... Good luck finding one and with the cancer/chemo treatments. No chemo but had the same problem....

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=111259

Thanks Condor. Your trike looks good! Can the side bags open all the way?

I think I have located a kit that is currently on an RSTD and the owner is willing to sell separately. Should be direct fitment to the RSV. The issue at hand, however, is that MTC says the kit was originally sold for a Harley Dresser. Therefore it must have been moved from the Dresser to the RSTD....and I hope done with the proper hardware! It's a Classic kit that is 6.5 years old. Price is $2500. Unfortunately, I will have to make a 1000 mile round trip just to put my eyes on it!

Surgery & Chemo are complete. Have had 3 subsequent scans which have been clear! Time to get back to RIDING!!!

Steve

Thanks Condor. Your trike looks good! Can the side bags open all the way?

I think I have located a kit that is currently on an RSTD and the owner is willing to sell separately. Should be direct fitment to the RSV. The issue at hand, however, is that MTC says the kit was originally sold for a Harley Dresser. Therefore it must have been moved from the Dresser to the RSTD....and I hope done with the proper hardware! It's a Classic kit that is 6.5 years old. Price is $2500. Unfortunately, I will have to make a 1000 mile round trip just to put my eyes on it!

Surgery & Chemo are complete. Have had 3 subsequent scans which have been clear! Time to get back to RIDING!!!

Steve

The saddles open up enough to easily get things in and out. The lids just don't go horizontal... I stuck a pad of Velcro on the fender and the lid to keep it from falling down. Works...

The classic is what mine is, and it's a 2006. I'm pretty sure the Harley takes a 'B' frame, and the RSV is an 'A'. Or visa-versa?? Anyway they won't interchange... I think it's because the Harley has a shorter wheel base. The tire centers of the Voyager line up exactly with the rear axle of the RSV. MTC has a load of info on their website. You just have to poke around to find it... I'd double check about the type frame the guy has before doing a 1000 mile trip to pick it up. And not getting the right one. There's a gusset in the right rear corner that should have the serial number on it. Get it and call the factory. They'll give you all the scoop on it. I think I'd even consider buying a new one from MTC and having them install it?? I know it's more money but it'll be done right...

i just passed my 5 year surgery anniversary, and they cut me loose. After 5 they say re-occurrence is less than 1%....

First: CONGRATULATIONS!!! 5yrs!!! GREAT NEWS!!!!

I did send the serial number to MTC and they said the frame will fit, so I guess I just have to decide if I want to make the trip....

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

Thanks!!

I just went to the MTC site. They've changed a lot of things, but still had to poke around... Didn't see a listing for the RSV in the menu. Just 1stGens. The Harley Dresser is listed taking an 'A' kit so I imagine it's the right size for the RSV as well. I'd still ask for lots of pics before committing to the trip. Luckily mine was about 4 miles and 15 minutes away. Btw I used a trailer to pick up mine. If you're thinking about using a pickup it might be a PITA. The frame is 58" wide. My trailer is 57"... Rats...!! :-)

Yammer Dan & Condor,

Do either of you have the installation instructions for the RSV?

I'm trying to determine if I can do the installation myself, or I will need to pay someone to do it.....

Steve

Steve, You should hopefully get an installation manual when you buy the mounting kit. It's pretty straight forward and and can be self installed. It just bolts to existing holes. I did get an installation manual with the one I bought but it was so far out of date it was almost worthless. What I did find the most helpful were the videos on the MTC site. There's a two part for a Harley bagger down the list with good directions for adjusting the frame. However it's still a two man job. It can be done by one, but two is mo' better... Just remember to go by the numbers when installing. Don't think it's a plug and play or you're going to end up doing it twice.. Don't ask me how I know this...:whistling:

http://www.mtcvoyager.com/videos/

A word to the wise told to me by a former member that made the mistake when he installed his, supposedly the kickstand has to be up when bolting the kit on (or was it down?). Anyway, there is something about the kickstand that has to be dealt with. I'm thinking it has to be up, not down before installing as the piece of the frame prevents it from going up once bolted on. Maybe somebody who has already done the installation can chime in...

Just an FYI in case someone might be interested. I stopped into Destination Cycle in Kerrville, TX today and they have a Silver '05 RSV with the Voyager Trike Kit already installed. Salesman said it's on consignment. $7500.

http://www.destinationcycle.com/default.asp?page=xPreOwnedInventoryDetail&id=4495596&p=3&s=Year&d=D&fr=xPreOwnedInventory

A word to the wise told to me by a former member that made the mistake when he installed his, supposedly the kickstand has to be up when bolting the kit on (or was it down?). Anyway, there is something about the kickstand that has to be dealt with. I'm thinking it has to be up, not down before installing as the piece of the frame prevents it from going up once bolted on. Maybe somebody who has already done the installation can chime in...

Yep I remember that. It has to be up or it won't go up afterwards.... Some remove it altogether, but then what do you do if you want to take the Voyager off?? I used a Harbor Freight MC stand screwed down to a piece of plywood to keep the bike upright while installing... The best bang for the buck just to have it laying around if nothing else...

https://www.harborfreight.com/1800-lb-capacity-motorcycle-standwheel-chock-61670.html

Thanks for all the input / tips.

My apologies for not responding sooner. I have this nagging cold that seems to come and go, and now I think the BOSS has the flu!

It's gonna be ugly around here!

After thinking about the 1000 mile trip I would have to make to pick up a used voyager that came off an RSTD (mounting kit is the same), I have been giving some consideration to a new Trip Trike. ( http://www.triptrike.com )

They are only 75 miles away, and I visited them earlier this month.

They are a Mom & Pop operation (former truck drivers) who said they have been in business for 7 years and have sold 700 units. While their facilities are spartan by today's standards, I know of many similar shops that have produced good stuff. Family members also work there, and they seemed like the good old, down home, Alabama people I like.

They use heavy duty materials, and there are four significant differences that I can see from other kits on the market:

1. The adjustable air ride suspension. They were truck drivers so this seems like a natural result, and they have patented it.

2. Their rear tie-in to the frame is up high where the bike fenders are attached. They say it provides more stability, and I can see that.

3. Their outrigger wheels are 5-6 inches behind the axle of the bike. I'm struggling a bit to understand whether this has any pro or con. It looks interesting!

4. They offer Running Boards. Nice touch.

They are working on a reverse option, but that is not ready yet.

And now, I go take my cold medication....and hopefully get some relief, while I let the Trike Kit Fairies dance through my dwindling brain cells.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

After speaking with Trip Trike again, I have decided not to go that route. Two things drove this decision:

1. I asked if they would pass my contact info on to the owner of the RSTD pictured on their webpage that had the kit installed. I wanted to ask him a few questions. I was told they "don't write down the kind of bike on the paperwork," so they could not do that. Hmmmm....

2. All sales are cash only. That always bothers me when a business with a defined and advertised product does that.

So, later this week I'll travel to NC to pick up a used Voyager Classic kit that is coming off an RSTD. The good news is that I will not have to purchase an Installation kit! It's going to be a Daddy - Daughter Road trip! Haven't had one of those in many, many years, and I really need someone to share the driving.

Will keep this thread posted as the project progresses.

Steve

• 1 month later...

Well, it took some time but I finally got the Voyager Trike Kit and installed it on my RSV. I bought the kit used, and decided to try to "do it right."

First I had to get my lowered bike restored to stock height. It had been lowered front and rear. The rear is now raised, but I have not yet raised the front, as I want to see how it handles first.

Then I took all the parts that mount on the bike and sandblasted all the old paint, oil, and rust off them. Fortunately a friend had a sandblast station I could use. Then, I painted the parts and put them in the same friend's paint oven to bake on.

While the paint was baking, I cleaned up the main portions of the trike. I found that the previous owner had done some kind of lighting modification, so I had to repair all the the wiring harness. No big deal. All back to stock so I was good to go. So I thought! More on this later.

I then removed the tires and took them to have the balance checked. That's when I realized that although looking good, they were 8 yrs. old. At the tire place I asked if they could just pop one open so I could look inside. Sure enough, there was degradation and material loose inside the tire. So, a new pair of 13" radials went on.

With things cleaned up/repaired, a friend and I started the installation. Definitely a 2 man job. It took about 5 hours, and if you follow the instructions, and use some common sense, geometry, and curse words, it eventually goes together. There were a couple of things we had to do twice, but we got it together, sat back, and congratulated each other. It looked pretty good!

I then began the electrical wiring task. A converter for a 5 wire (RSV system) to 4 wire (Voyager system) was provided. Pretty straight forward. And that's when Murphy showed up. I had running lights, but no brake lights, and all four lights blinked no matter which signal was engaged. Also, the seemed to blink at a different rate than my LED turn signals. I rechecked all my wiring and connections. All looked good, so I deduced that the converter must be bad, and I got a new one, only to find the exact same problem existed. By now, I had spent several hours on this problem, so I decided to quit for the day, lest my mental state be reduced to rubble. :bang head:

The next morning I rechecked all the wiring, and re-did all splices in the wiring harness.That ate up another couple of hours. How could anything so simple be so Problematic? I am a Ham Radio enthusiast, so wiring is not an alien skill set for me. Becoming more and more frustrated, I finally broke down and called MTC Voyager to talk to a Tech about the problem. "Frank" and I walked through the wiring from the bike to each light step by step. All was correct. I sat back and just stared at the bike. It was at this point that the wisdom of old age led me to the philosophy of the "The Point of Diminishing Returns." I already had great rear LED lighting on the RSV itself. Did I really need Run/Turn/Brake incandescent lighting on the trike kit. Nice, but not really necessary. Thus, in order to keep myself from having a mental breakdown over the lights, I decided that Running lights were sufficient. I removed the 5 wire to 4 wire converter and just wired the running lights to the bike. By this time I had spent almost 2 days on the lighting issue. Done and Done.

I took the bike out for a ride and WHOA BABY! This thing really needs some effort to turn! Gradually over the next hour I became more and more accustomed to having to steer vs. lean. I really had to make turns slowly compared to being on 2 wheels. I suspect that over time I will develop Popeye forearms, and I must admit that one time at a stop sign I put my feet down! Felt pretty stupid in that moment. The bike to runs straight, but I re-adjusted the pre-load to 3/4" as someone had suggested. I liked that ride better.

So now I will spend time on local rides to get more and more accustomed to the "Trike" before any long trips. So far I'm HAPPY! :cool10:

Voyager rear.jpgVoyager side.jpg

• Thanks 1

I have never ridden a voyager kit, but I have a hannigan trike. It takes some time and adjustment to get use to steering and handling. Lock one arm pull with other to turn, needs less upperbody. Learn to use your knees.legs for leverage. The more you ride it the more you will like it. By the way it looks great.

Craig

OUTSTANDING BKN!!!!! Looks GREAT and a double :thumbsup::thumbsup: on a BYOB well done!!!!

While far from any form of expert with the Voyager Trike kits, I did get to ride one similar to yours for a couple miles once cause a really good friend of mine ( mirider ) who used to be a member here (may still be) had one before he bought his Harley TriGlide named Candy.. Personally, I dont remember Miriders Voyager steering that difficult. Matter of fact, what I do remember (remembering it cause I really liked this about the Voyager) was that it maintained its bike lean when you turned as opposed to a normal trike with 2 wheels on the back = completely different steer techniquek. I am thinking that this is because with the voyager, you are still riding on the bikes original 2 wheels and using the additional outer wheels more to maintain balance then anything else..

Dave (my buddy Mirider) told me a little about what it took to get those outriggers set just right,, I believe it was no small task and getting them spot on helped in the bikes handling a lot. I also know from Tip/Tweaks and I chasing Dave and Sue around corners on that Voyager Triked Gen 2 of theirs that when cornering rear wheel of the kit that was on the outside of the corner arc would be off the ground due to the bike leaning in like a normal bike in a corner does..

I write all that cause I cant help but wonder if you may have those outriggers adjusted to tightly so the machine is taking on characteristics similar to a traditional trike that only has three wheels... It seems like if this were the case, indeed it would/could make it steer harder...

This could all be a bunch of hoooey too:missingtooth: Just thought I would toss it out there cause I love :Im not listening to bikes with my buddies!!! It seems like other lop eared VR varmints have some real life experience with the Voyager Kit - hopefully someone who really KNOWS about all this will jump in and either scold me for my nonsense or throw me a hot dog cause I am close to correct = thinking maybe Condor ?

On another note,,,, hey MiRider,,, if your reading this and cant reply cause you let your membership lapse = WASSUP BROTHER!! Thanks for the Christmas card!! Hope I remembered right about your old Voy!!! HOT DOGS VERY SOON!!!

CONGRATS ON THE NEW TRIKE BKN!!!! BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

Edited by cowpuc

Looks good!

9 outa 10 times weird lighting issues are ground related. Did all that new paint mess up the ground path?

Is there an actual ground wire to each bulb or is it relying on frame ground. Frame grounds are also unreliable.

Simple test, Take out a bulb, connect an ohm meter from the battery negative terminal to the ground terminal of the bulb socket, It should be zero ohms.