IGNORED

Recommdations?

I have a cheap Black and Decker straight rechargeable battery screwdriver that I use for easy stuff such as removing the 15 screws holding the plastic pan under the engine of my wife's car when I change oil. I also have a Dewalt commercial duty battery operated drill ($200) that I used to install lots of 3" screws in the building of my 12' x12' utility shed. I'm very pleased with both for what I use them for. I'm sure there are lots of choices in the middle.

I also use a Dewalt 1/2inch Drill/Driver if I have to do a lot of screws.

I have tried a couple of the electric screwdrivers and none of them had enough torque to loosen a tight screw or to adequately tighten a screw being put in, I ended up having to go over every screw with a normal manual driver to either break them loose or to get final tightness. This doubles the chance of forgetting to fully tighten a screw that will fall out while going down the road.

The Dewalt has more available power than most screws have strength, But it has a clutch to set just how tight you want to make them. It has the power to run 5/16 dia 8 inch long wood screws for a pole barn yet with the clutch turned down will not strip a #4 x 3/8 long wood screw going into pine.

I used it to put up an 8' x 10' metal shed from drilling the holes in the concrete to over 1000 sheet metal screws holding the whole thing together all on a single charge.

And of course I can use it for drilling holes too.

I use an 18v Dewalt impact driver. Wouldn't be without it. It has no goodies such as torque settings, but does have a light. I use a 1\4" bit with a 3\8" end for sockets and screws driver alike. The nice thing about such a tool, is that I very seldom strip a screw anymore, either the head or the threads. It does take a couple of minutes to get accustomed to it, but once you get the hang of it, you won't go without it. It's the one tool, that if it crooks, all work would stop until I get me another,, one sale or not.

My 2 cents, you get what you pay for.

I also am a Dewalt fan, heck Craftsman is decent too.

I discourage Harbor Freight. I bought a $29 electric drill to simply keep on Travel Trailer to raise and lower stabilizer jacks, and it doesn't have enough power to do that, and they operate pretty smooth.

I would check and make sure you can get metric bits that fit whatever you buy.

Bought this one for my wife almost 2 years ago and it's been great. I've stolen it for many projects. Plenty of torque to drive 3" deck screws in a pinch when the impact driver wont fit into the space. Great battery life. The gyro feature took a minute to get used to but is great especially in tight spots.

Bought this one for my wife almost 2 years ago and it's been great. I've stolen it for many projects. Plenty of torque to drive 3" deck screws in a pinch when the impact driver wont fit into the space. Great battery life. The gyro feature took a minute to get used to but is great especially in tight spots.
Which one?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I use an 18v DeWalt if im going somewhere, not the cheapest but well worth it if your going to use it a bit, probably the last one you will ever buy. My parents are both carpenters in various stages of retirement and its what they use/ed.

I really dont use mine often, hassling with chargers and batteries is a nuisance when I use it 90% of the time within 20' of an outlet here in my "shop" space. I mostly use a small corded reversable drill I picked up at a garage sale for $1. I think its a cheap-o Ryobi, its easy to modulate power/speed and always works 100%. I leave it plugged in with a bit chuck in it. I personally find the cord to be less awkward than the bulk and weight of the cordless for mech work. The cordless gets really nice if I'm moving around a lot though, I use it for drywall and framing but for standing over my scoot, or car, running screws in and out the corded is ideal. Besides you can get a sweet corded drill plenty cheaper than a sweet cordless.

I also have a corded dewalt drill (to big for mech work)recip saw and 1/2" angle grinder and its all fantastic stuff. IMHO Dewalt is a brand you can feel comfortable buying regardless of what style you deem suitable for your needs.

This brand works best for me. It is not very quick, like the user, it does strip out a screw now and then, If the user has any kind of grip that day usually depending upon the temperature outside, it will disappear occasionally, I believe it has mastered the "Space and Time" mystery, You know like swatting at flying fruit flies, No reverse switch to go out, or foreword for that matter. It is light in weight, doesn't need a battery, those are heavy. All in all I like it.:sign woo hoo:

hand-screwdriver.jpg

I like my 20V Dewalt. It’s light and has enough power to twist your arm out of the socket and beat you with the bloody stump if you’re not careful! I even took it along a couple years ago on our trop

to Yellowstone on the ‘83 Venture. Never had to get it out.