IGNORED

Nightmare Reinstalling Starter/Flywheel Cover on my 89

Just replaced my starter clutch and I'm having a hard time reinstalling the cover. Seems that magnet is so strong I can't get everything lined up right. Any helpful tips? I've removed and inspected for any fouling and don't see anything. It just seems to get stuck to the magnetic flywheel and will hardly budge.

Boy, it's been awhile, but here is my recollection:

It's not that the magnet is holding it from going in. It's that the magnet is pulling it a little bit of center and the positioning sleeves aren't lined up. You've got to wrestle with it - fighting the magnet - to get it aligned. When you do the magnet will slam it against the crankcase so make sure your fingers aren't in the gap.

If you havent gotten it on yet.. get some all tread rod that is the same size as the bolts and cut it into length that is about an inch longer then the over all length of the bolts. 3 pieces should do it and then space them and screw them in to the case. These will guide the cover with the stator and and let you use the other bolts to secure the cover. Back out the all tread rod and use the remaining bolts and torque it to specs and you should be ready to go. You might also want to make sure the opening that the wires go out has a nice coating of silicon sealant around it and around the wires so you dont have an oil leak from there. You will see this around the kick stand area if you do.

You should be able to get the all tread at a local hardware store or maybe one of the box stores.

Hope this helps.

Rick F.

Most often the problem is the shifter linkage knuckle that sits right behind the back side of the cover. The knuckle needs to be in the up postion, but it would like to be in the down position. Make sure it's up and the cover should slap right in place.

If you havent gotten it on yet.. get some all tread rod that is the same size as the bolts and cut it into length that is about an inch longer then the over all length of the bolts. 3 pieces should do it and then space them and screw them in to the case. These will guide the cover with the stator and and let you use the other bolts to secure the cover. Back out the all tread rod and use the remaining bolts and torque it to specs and you should be ready to go. You might also want to make sure the opening that the wires go out has a nice coating of silicon sealant around it and around the wires so you dont have an oil leak from there. You will see this around the kick stand area if you do.

You should be able to get the all tread at a local hardware store or maybe one of the box stores.

Hope this helps.

Rick F.

Guy replaced stator 3 months before he sold me my bike... I have been chasing an oil leak since I got the bike but my leak seems to be on back side of oil pan.. But mainly kickstand area... So thanks for another tip of what may be an issue.

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

The other tip on that cover is that you MUST use a gasket. If you try to do it without the gasket using just a gasket maker the starter will not work, it NEEDS the gasket thickness for proper clearance of the starter gears.

Then on the middle gear cover do not forget the copper washer on the bottom bolt or it will leak oil every time.