IGNORED

Chirp "I" Basket Fix

Guest Marty S

Guest Marty S

WOW, that sound drives me NUTS! I bought a 2006 Venture about a month ago, and the noise is REALLY interfering with the pleasure riding usually brings. Sounds like standing in a swamp full of peeper frogs!!!!!

A couple of questions,

first, does anyone know of a good dealer to work with about the "I" basket replacement in my area? I live in Connecticut and the dealer I bought from is in Long Island.

second, what recourse would I have if whatever dealer I choose doesn't offer the fix under warranty?

I don't suffer fools gladly, I work too hard for my money to take any "we can't help you" bs.

I absolutely LOVE the bike, but the noise is making me think of a Gold Wing or H-D

Thanks, this is a VERY helpful and friendly forum.

Marty S

I cant recommend a dealer in your area, but I can tell you how I handled it and avoided the BS. I bought my bike private and had no experience with the dealer I took it to for the basket swap. When I went to them to explain the problem they had never heard of it?? The took my vin # and ran a check on their computer, said there were no issues with my bike? I asked them to call Yamaha and look into this for me and they did. Called me back next day and said I basket was on order, I should bring my bike in? I asked if they would call me when basket came in, and then I would bring the bike, they agreed no problem. They also said that Yamaha wanted it to be clear to me, that the basket just moves the chirp to a different rpm range to make it more tolerable at cruising speeds, it doesnt eliminate the chirp. I think the swap made a big improvement, but its still there, and its still annoying, I would really like to take someones bike out that does not have the chirp just to compare, Craig

Hi Marty, I also bought my RSV from out of state but if I had my druthers on a dealer in CT, I'd definately pick Libby's in New Haven. They have the best inventory for Yamaha around and if they don't have it, they can usually get them in a couple of days. I hear they are excellant for service work. I have a 2003 RSV and have never had to use a dealer for service or warranty work. BTW, where are you in CT? I'm in Bristol. Another dealer in my area is Willow's Motorsports in Chesire but he deals on a smaller scale. Brian

Good luck on finding a dealer competent enough to handle the swap. Most of them will not even know what you're talking about when you try to explain it to them. I had some dealers ride my bike and they couldn't hear anything out of the ordinary. I eventually gave up.

It drove me nuts at first too. But now, 12K miles later, I hardly even notice it. I know that's not much of a solution, but you will get use to it eventually.

From what I've seen of most dealers, I wouldn't want them tearing my bike apart anyway.

I used Libby's for a charging problem. Got the bike back and had problems again. Checked the battery and they had not even tightened the connections. Did it myself and it worked fine. Also took 3 days for what ended up being a battery change. When I asked the Service Manager about the changing of the clutch basket he gave me the blank stare and the "I have no idea what you are talking about". I stopped by RER in Monroe and talked with the mechanic there. He knew exactly what I was talking about. I've not had them do any work yet but will go to them because they at least knew what I was asking about.

Guest Marty S

Thank you all for the input. AKRefugee, do you know the name of who you spoke with @ RER? I've been there before, bought my last 2 bikes there, a 1983 Venture, then a 2001 Kawasaki Voyager. My experience with service there is mixed, They once had my Voyager for over a month for a top-end overhaul, a little too long in my book. However, the mechanic who did the work was Excellent. His name is Bruce, I don't know if he's still there. Very meticulous, and takes real pride in his work. I guess the thing I'm worried about is getting the runaround about getting the work done under warranty. Like I said, I LOVE the bike, it's the noise I could do without.

• 1 month later...

Sorry, just joined and I do not know whether you go tyour clutch issue fixed yet.

Bruce or Chug (mechanics) at RER will take care of you. Talk to Ross in sales first and then to the service desk. Tell them you're a personal friend of Phil Mille (that's me) and they should take care of you. I am a friend of Rick, the owner of RER.

Any problems, let me know, and I'll call them for you.

I bought many bikes from RER and just aquired an 08 RSV from them.

Cheers

Phil