IGNORED

What to do for Christmas??? New York, Florida, West, North South?

etcswjoe

I have no school and I am off from work Dec 22 to 2 Jan so what do we do?

Some of the ideas we have discussed are:

1. New York City (never been but expensive)

2. Go see family (same ole thing)

3. Cruise (but is it too late)

4. Train across country (cost/comfort)

5. Something we have not thought of.

Comments suggestions?

I/we LOVED NYC during Christmas = just amazing!! My daughter was going to med school at Cornell in Manhatten so we just lived in her dorm room - A LOT,, other wise = no way could we have afforded it (get your drift on cost brother!!).. IMHO,, winter time isnt a good time to learn NYC,, learning it is way more fun in the summer - just my opinion..

I guess you know what we would do dont cha Joe? We would, with out a doubt,, travel the southern border of the States and catch Texas, New Mex, AZ, Cali while its reasonably rideable. Toss on the tent and LIVE IT UP!! I know when we toured down there and visited Big Bend during the end of May a few years ago we were SHOCKED at NO bikes.. It was HOT but still,, not "summer" hot.. A customs guy down there told us that during the months you are talking = CRAZY with bikers - sounded like a great big amazing rally!! There are also THOUSANDS of miles of neat CTFW down there that, for most folks (at this age - most folks includes me) isnt doable during summer months - the time period you are talking is PREMO bikin (maybe get someone like @videoarizona to chime in here and correct me if I am wrong).. Personally,, I would make it out to "The Slabs" (google it) to play with the hippies, do a BUNCH of ghost towning, chase up some spirits in Tombstone and the like and then make sure I do a couple nights of night riding Death Valley (full moon - turn off your lights = like riding on the MOON = AMAZING!!! - WOWZY I would LOVE to do a Meet n Greet VR rally out there)...

Regardless of your doings,, hope you and Bobbi have fun!!

CJ, Interesting thoughts:

Check with AmQuack (daughter used to call them that), See if they still have the auto train from NE to Florida. Used to be you would take your car with you. Don't know if that is still running or how they handle cycles.

Riding across the south. Good weather for the most part. Just remember that in the late afternoons it starts to get chilly in the southwest as deserts cool down naturally! IE, shorter riding days. During day expect 60's throughout the southwest. 40's to 50's at night except in low deserts and mountains...then down around freezing.

In SE, watch for rain. The weather from Pacific Northwest comes down to the south and sweeps across country. Low fronts bring wind and rain. If they go north, they bring snow.

Or...you could fly out west, rent a car or scoot and tour that way too! But remember the cool weather. We do get around freezing during the day at times in January!! So check long range forecasts...

My bet would be Amtrak...

I'd ride south maybe do the Gulf coast of Florida and then down to Key West.

I don't know whether or not you have military retiree privileges, but I believe there is some sort of inexpensive camping/cabins near Key West for those that do.

Just had one of them moments. :lightbulb: In Sept we had Irma (hurricane) come thru and devastate the Keys. So probably not a great place to go this year. The rest of the state is in good shape. But the Keys was hit terribly hard.

I'd ride south maybe do the Gulf coast of Florida and then down to Key West.

I don't know whether or not you have military retiree privileges, but I believe there is some sort of inexpensive camping/cabins near Key West for those that do.

The DOD now has a policy that anyone traveling on orders has to stay on base first so that has screwed up space A for us retirees, but it is saving taxpayer dollars so I guess I cannot complain.

CJ, Interesting thoughts:

Check with AmQuack (daughter used to call them that), See if they still have the auto train from NE to Florida. Used to be you would take your car with you. Don't know if that is still running or how they handle cycles.

Riding across the south. Good weather for the most part. Just remember that in the late afternoons it starts to get chilly in the southwest as deserts cool down naturally! IE, shorter riding days. During day expect 60's throughout the southwest. 40's to 50's at night except in low deserts and mountains...then down around freezing.

In SE, watch for rain. The weather from Pacific Northwest comes down to the south and sweeps across country. Low fronts bring wind and rain. If they go north, they bring snow.

Or...you could fly out west, rent a car or scoot and tour that way too! But remember the cool weather. We do get around freezing during the day at times in January!! So check long range forecasts...

My bet would be Amtrak...

Will check out Amtrak sounds interesting.

DOD for as long as I can remember (I enlisted in 78) required us to satay in base quarters if available. But I have reserved room in Key West Navel station. About 3 blocks from the Montgomery Square. But I would doubt KW would be a good vacation spot for a year or more with all the damage they had. Up around Ocala, Gainsville is nice area. State parks some rolling hills. Or Clearwater/St Pete area.

• 4 weeks later...

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and have a blessed New Year, Bobbi woke up with the flu two days before Christmas so we stayed put. Yesterday was the first day we ventured out, so our big adventure for the holidays was to go see The Last Jedi. Have to see what spring break holds.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and have a blessed New Year, Bobbi woke up with the flu two days before Christmas so we stayed put. Yesterday was the first day we ventured out, so our big adventure for the holidays was to go see The Last Jedi. Have to see what spring break holds.

Sorry to hear that. I hope she is back up to full speed. The best thing about getting sick is that it makes you appreciate feeling normal again.

Sorry to read this Joe but VERY glad to hear Bobbi is back on her feet!! Hopefully Spring Break brings about some healthier fun for you two!!

well, I guess, a nice long week, camping, in southwest Georgia, maybe some canoeing, hiking, would also like to be doing it on a bike ( but that will have to wait til next year ) This year I'm taking my wife to Guntersville for a long weekend, and go look at land on the lake. ( possible Build ) we are moving out of Florida.

well, I guess, a nice long week, camping, in southwest Georgia, maybe some canoeing, hiking, would also like to be doing it on a bike ( but that will have to wait til next year ) This year I'm taking my wife to Guntersville for a long weekend, and go look at land on the lake. ( possible Build ) we are moving out of Florida.

Guntersville is a nice area. And Weiss Lake which is just east of there is good country.