IGNORED

Thankfully Bank of America is psychic

MikeWa

I received an alert from Bank of America today. They are warning me about unauthorized activity on my account. And telling me I need to update my profile. I am so thankful they are looking out for me. I will update my info tonight for sure. Here is an excerpt from their notice. Pay attention to the date and time. It is not everyone who can detect this sort of thing the day before it happens.

Mike

"Bank of America® Security Alert: Unusual account activity detected.

We're letting you know that we've detected some unusual activity on your Bank of America account on 12/2/2017 3:44:34.

For your security, please confirm your profile so that you can continue to use your account.

"link deleted" and complete the verification process.

Your last unknown sign-in was 30/11/2017

Bank of America, N.A. Member FDIC. Equal Housing Lender

© 2017 Bank of America Corporation. All rights reserved."

Edited by Freebird

I get crap like that all the time. Got three this morning supposedly from PayPal with a link to click to update my information. Bottom line is this. NEVER click on a link that you receive in an email asking you to update your information. Regardless if it is from a bank, PayPal, your Internet Service Provider or anybody else. You can usually hover over the link and see what URL it actually goes to and it is never legit. You should never log into an account from a link in an email. Go the the site as you normally would from your bookmarks or by typing in the URL and see if you have any messages there. If that doesn't satisfy you, then call your bank or whomever.

I was with BOA for quite awhile, and Wa Mutual back in the day. I never got jack from them, ever, other than them trying to upsell me and having to fight with them about hidden fees. I went to BHFCU many years ago and the whole banking experience got plenty cheaper and better. Even so in the whole 15 years since I left banks and went to cred unions I have recieved two actual calls questioning activity. When my wife was in the Philippines visiting family she used her card once and it was deactivated. I had to go into town and let them know it was really her. Good thing they know my face. I guess BHFCU is too local to drum up mass spammer attention.

One other way to spot the spam like this is careful attention to grammer and tense. Anytime im not 100% sure about an email I never use the links or ph# in the email, I use the contact info I already have. One thing for sure is the spammers are evolving as consumers get wiser. We all have to be careful all the time, glad this one was caught on a detail. Did it look pretty legit when you opened it? I have seen a couple scam attempts that were wonderfully crafted but I could spot a grammatical error. Its scary how good some of them look, I wonder how many folks fall victim.

Very sorry about the link being active. I hope nobody went there. My screw up. What I had a good laugh about was the date. Whoever sent this must have been in Asia and forgot about the date line. So it arrived in my e-mail the day before it supposedly happened. The hacker needs a geography lesson.

Mike