IGNORED

Anybody ever owned/own a Stratoliner ?

KIC

So.. Looks like there might be a change in my future. I have a friend that has a really nice 2006 Stratoliner with bags, upgraded Cobra pipes, Mustang seat. Just completely serviced. His life situation has changed and he offered me the bike for about 2-4 grand less than the going rate.

I also now have my son-in-laws 1986 Venture Royale that we bought from 1Rooster several years ago. Since my son-in-law passed away 3 months ago ,we brought the 86 back to Arizona and she wants to keep it. I already have my 89, a complete 87 & 89 parts bikes and two 84 parts bikes. The 86 really needs some work on it. My thoughts at this point is to sell my 89, buy the Stratoliner and then spend my time repairing and rebuilding the 86.

So, I have been reading up on them and they seem like a good bike. Just wondering if anybody can give me some personal insight. :biker:

IMG_0963.jpgIMG_0962.jpgIMG_0961.jpg

Edited by KIC

That's pretty much up to personal taste, Bill! What one person likes the next person may loathe! Ya gotta swing a leg over and decide for yourself if you're gonna like it or not. That being said, there are a lot of people out there that like them, just not quite my cup of tea but I like the looks of them...

I owned a 2007 Stratoliner before and loved it but wanted the Venture features so I traded it for the Venture . I rode my from NY to California and back towing a trailer and it was great except for 2 things. Small fuel tank and like said above, wanted a 6th gear. But overall , it was a great bike.

I owned a 08 for 7yrs.and it was a great motorcycle. I’m 6’7” and it was really comfortable for a big guy,I would still have it but health issues caused me to go to a trike. The Stratoliner is a torque monster and very smooth ride,I still miss that bike,probably more than any motorcycle I ever sold! The only problem I ever read about was a few of the 06/07 years had 3rd gear issues. There is a very good Stratoliner forum over on Delphi you should check out.

I bought a 2006 used Stratoliner-S in 2009. Got it cheap, while I was still owning my 2006 RSTD.

I liked the power and, once I got new tires, loved the handle in the NC mountains.

But,, just never felt it was "my bike".

Sold it a year later to a neighbor and got a RSV. Still had the RSTD, till this week,,, replaced it with a low mileage RSTD.

So, like they said, throw a leg over and see if its' for you.

My nephew bought a brand new one in 06. It was the "S" model with all the xtra chrome.. Nice scoot that served him well. He sold it to his brother a couple years ago when it had just under 35k on it.. I rode it quite a bit while Jon (nephew) had it = nice scoot!! I know that he did do the aftermarket seat routine as he and his wife toured a little on it and found the OEM seats to be to hard. It seems like a couple of the few issues he complained about was wishing it had a taller 5th gear in it (thing was a torque monster = could have idled at 70 with a little gearing) but told me that they did make taller pulley's for em - he just never got there with it.. I know he also bought pipes and a tuner = this did increase it's performance although stock it was very good IMHO (comparing his Strat to the new Venture (both 113 inch) = I still think the new Venture is 10 or 15 HP down compared to the stock Strat that Jon had - seat of the pants comparison = combined with the Venny being a LOT heavier,, the Strat FLYS compared to the 3rd Gen IMHO).

If I recall the stock bag locks had some kind of issues = seems like the tumblers liked to go south on em if not careful. Also, because of high torque = hard on rear tire and oil change method was kind of time consuming. Definitely a VERY worthy scoot and have seen them around on our local Craigs for very reasonable $'s = 3500 to 5..

Jon talked about 3rd gear issues and lifter issues for the early ones like his but to my knowledge, never had a problem with his!!

We bought the first Roadliner to arrive in Eastern Ontario, and it was a great bike... with two issues that eventually led to a swap for an FJR (another great bike).

First on the ugly list was a real tough clutch pull. Caught in heavy traffic on a warm day you could easily find yourself wishing to be somewhere else... upon reflection, anywhere else!

That suggests heat was also an issue, but it was no worse than other large, air-cooled twin. The Clutch Pull thing might also be a case of Olde Fart *****ing; we knew at least one Lady Rider who disagreed.

The other thing we disliked was actually a 'positive' complaint. We love speed-reduction via downshifting (to save brake pads?). The 1900 cc 'Liner had so much torque, Big Trouble came calling in a hurry when failing to match revs in corners. More than once, opportunities to see 'what's over there?' created 'shorts changing' circumstances. A slipper clutch would have been a God-send on that Bruiser.

Aside from that, it was a great bike: a beautifully packaged concept for The Day, totally reliable, great touring potential if desired, and a surprisingly comfortable ride.

WRIDR

Thanks everybody. I probably need to find one in town and give it a test ride. This one is in Oklahoma and although I could back out at any time, I will fly in and then my friend and I are doing a road trip back to AZ. Originally I was going to fly in and ride it back, but he has to bring a trailer to Phoenix and also pick up his wife who will be at a work conference also in Phx.

He loves it, but is just doesn't fit their current situation right now.