IGNORED

Four different 15-40 diesel oils now available

Guest Captain Video

Guest Captain Video

I was just in Pep Boys here in central Jersey today and besides the usual Rotella 15-40 diesel (which I run in my RSV), they now have two different Castrol 15-40s (both for diesels) and for the first time I saw the Mobil Delvac 15-40 as well. A veritable potpourri of oils to choose from if you like running diesel oil, which I do. Anyone know if there are any significant differences among them or are they all basically the same?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yo Lutz. Some of motorcycle owners use Shell rotella diesel engine oil, For their motorcycles. I know Guy from My motorcycle club, he is using nothing but rotella oil for last 20 years in his motorcycles, and he made some gooood milage.He mostly owned Harley's and they are same as diesel trucks, burn or lick oil, so no need to change oil so often, every week just add quarter (1L)

Hey Dan,

i know those leaking Hardley can't Repair Engines ... if they run well with a Diesel-designed Oil, ok... i probably can imagine that ...

but

the V4 Engine is a different Type, lots of RPM, fast travelling Pistons and so on, the Oilfilm in the Cylinders will get lost. If so, the Damage will be enough to throw it away.

I can't imagine that someone will test some cheaper Oil on a pretty expensive Engine. For what shall this be good ? Saving 10 Bucks in 3 Months ?

Diesel oil is the closest to motorcycle specific oil if not buying motorcycle oil. I run diesel oil in almost everything and have for years. My father started this over 40 years ago and had no problems. It was a lot easier to have one oil on the shelf than 3 or more. I quit using the diesel oil in my pickup and blazer because of the high phosphorous content. The phosporous will damage the catylitic converter if the oil happens to burn or vaporize and go out the exhaust. The high phosphorous content is exactly the reason you use it in a bike. Phosphorous along with zinc protects in metal on metal situations. Cost and availability are a couple of reasons for using diesel oil. The thing with oil is buy good oil and change it when it needs to be changed.

Guest tnbillybob
Yo Lutz. Some of motorcycle owners use Shell rotella diesel engine oil, For their motorcycles. I know Guy from My motorcycle club, he is using nothing but rotella oil for last 20 years in his motorcycles, and he made some gooood milage.He mostly owned Harley's and they are same as diesel trucks, burn or lick oil, so no need to change oil so often, every week just add quarter (1L)

Hey Dan, FYI neither of my two harleys leak or burn oil - tc88 with 40k, and 95cuin bigbore with 15K. Love my yammy, but gotta defend the HD:stirthepot: :cool10:

Guest Captain Video

Yes, though it may sound silly on the surface, if you research the ingredients (what's in it and what's NOT in it), 15-40 diesel oil makes an excellent motorcycle oil. But my purpose was not to do a tutorial here. I was just curious if anyone knew if the four of them were pretty much the same or not. I also mentioned it because I've seen threads mentioning how some guys couldn't get Rotella, others have never even seen Delvac on the shelf, and here I had those two and TWO more to boot right in the same store.

FWIW, I had a friend whose one of those types that researches everything the the "nth" degree and insisted the Mobil 1 Truck and SUV oil was the ultimated MC oil. I tried it and could tell zero difference in engine sound, power, gas mileage or shifting compared to the Rotella. Needless to say I switched back and stocked up on the Rotella. To each his own.

Hey Dan, FYI neither of my two harleys leak or burn oil - tc88 with 40k, and 95cuin bigbore with 15K. Love my yammy, but gotta defend the HD:stirthepot: :cool10:

:rotf::rotf::rotf:Sorry Howard, didn't mean to :stirthepot: But as Yamma owners, we have to make jokes about other brands. Or Like this one BMW sticker.

http://www.aerostich.com/files/images/3462.jpg

I've owned a 1983 and still own a 1987 Venture Royal (as well as a 1980 XS850G inbetween the two) and have run the 15W40 Rotella in all of them. Try searching the Venturer's web site too. They also have several recomendations for this oil in the Venture and V-Max bikes.

I use the Rotella Syn in 2 v-4 Royal Stars, Yamaha & Polaris 4 wheelers,& my John Deere x 495 Diesel. This oil seems to work super, price @ Wallyword cant be beat. I think I paid 14.95 a gallon last fall when I bought 3 gallons. Even seemed to quiet down the whine. Hope it works in the Goldwing if I switch. Yamaha, I'm going to the Mpls bike show Saturday morning,hope I see a Venturized Stratoliner to keep me faithful!!!!!!!!!!!!.Jeff.

I have been using Shell Rotella Syn in my 06 RSV and it is quieter and shifts smoother....Let 'em laugh, I ran the same thing in my 18-wheeler and it had 500,000 miles on it when I sold it and it's still running without a rebuild!

http://cybergifs.com/dogs/RunWolf.gif Dog

My dealer is changing oil for me right now, I have service contract until 20,000 miles, thats mean one more oil change , after that I'll switch to rotella or mobile 1 sintetic. Any way i'm changing oil religiosly after 2000 miles,. between dealer oil changes i use Harley's 20-50 V twins on summer and mobile 1 5-30 in winter, so far no problems.

:stirthepot: I used Rotella and Rotella syn both in my VTX1100 with no problems. Also used Mobil 1 syn. I will switch to Mobil 1 syn "Gold Cap" when I get a few more miles on White Lightin-----Buzz

If it has "energy conservation" in circular logo on the back it is not recommended for wet clutches. I know a lot get away with it but you will find you're replacing the plates sooner that would otherwise be the case.

John:detective:

If it has "energy conservation" in circular logo on the back it is not recommended for wet clutches. I know a lot get away with it but you will find you're replacing the plates sooner that would otherwise be the case.

The "gold cap" is not energy conservation oil. The "gray" cap IS. ----Buzz

FWIW, I had a friend whose one of those types that researches everything the the "nth" degree and insisted the Mobil 1 Truck and SUV oil was the ultimated MC oil. I tried it and could tell zero difference in engine sound, power, gas mileage or shifting compared to the Rotella. Needless to say I switched back and stocked up on the Rotella. To each his own.

To be honest virtually any oil without the energy tag will do just fine, I use a diesel because I beat mine (1300 Max) ard very ard the diesel has a high pressure rating and helps protect the trannie.

• 2 years later...

Oil change time, and I'm going with the Delvac 1300. It was $10.00 a gal. At Wally world. I got two. I think I'm gonna put it in the Van too. Next bike change I think I'll try the Delo400 from Chevron. What ever one shifts the best in the 3000 interval will get the job. The bike likes the Rotella Dino thats in it now. But I heard the Delvac is very good stuff and has a new formula etc.

Been running Schaeffer 20/50 in all my bikes, street rods and custom for the last 6 years. Have a close friend running Schaeffer that had his HD contaminated with anti-freez at a motel. (Prank). We dumped the oil, flushed the motor, re oiled, saved a motor. If 53 over the road 18 wheelers from one company can get 63K between oil changes, I'll trust that product for my "08" RSV! NO,, I won't use Diesel oil in my gas motor,,,diesel is formulated for diesels, there are industry "packages" built into the formula that are specific to diesel and their by-products , (acids etc etc) not common to gas motors.

Renne