IGNORED

DEER!!!!

snyper316

Deer are in abundance here in the Ottawa Valley just west of Ottawa, Ontario .

It was due to a deer hitting the 1987 Venture Royale that I acquired the bike.

I'll update my profile yet with a photo of the bike in its present condition.

The previous owner doesn't drink so it was definitely not his fault.

Travelling at 80 km/hr, 50 miles per hour , the deer darted from the roadside ditch and nailed the bike.

Down he went, sliding along the pavement.

The front body work was demolished as well as some other trim work but the bike still runs like a top.

It has sat for the last two months so I'm trickle charging the battery so I can winterize it as per the procedure that brought me to the site.

Deer are a real problem especially during dusk when they blend so well in to the shadows.

I've never hit a deer with a bike, hoping never to, but have done so 3 times with vehicles, all three times with the deer jumping from seemingly nowhere.

I can only hope that one and all will remain safe from the perils of deer collisions.

When deer get frightened they will often run in the direction they have the most visibility. That often means onto the road illuminated by your headlights. They do not comprehend vehicle speed. So it is up to us to be careful.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What gets me going, is that around here they leave the deer carcasses around long enough to draw in the eagles and other scavengers. It wouldn't be so bad if they took them off the shoulder and put them on the other side of the ditch. Then it would just be entertainment.

Rode in yesterday to work and headed home around 1:30 am. I saw about 4 deer in separate occasion. Not really looking out for cars at that time, but was on the lookout for deer. It was around 34 degrees and they love to be out and about. I never felt the cold and the ride home was a little intense hoping that a deer would not cross my path. Ride Safe and always be on the lookout.

LOL...saw that picture somewhere last year. I don't know if it's funny or sick but since I laughed, if it's sick then I am too. :)

I think it would make a good halloween decoration.... in a twisted way this is funny specially if you don't like doing lights, I just wished I could do the light thing some people do, where the lights dance to the music now that is cool.

If you think deer are bad on the Interstates, I saw a black bear of at least 400lbs. on the side of I-40 west of Morganton, NC.

:farmer:

This reminds me of a story. Was taking a convict to outside hospital in the middle of the night to get him checked for something he was complaining about on 2 lane back road to Prison. Big black Bear came up out of the ditch in front of us and I got on brakes and almost got stopped but tapped the Bear pretty good. He raised up out of the road growled and shook his head at us and went up the hill!! Story was all over Compound next day about Sgt. Bear hunting with cruiser!!!