IGNORED

DEER!!!!

snyper316

So the last few days I have not really rode my bike, but when I have I have seen Dead Deer along the road. Last night I seen one along side the insterstate!! I have never came across this Phenominom before. I can understand in back country which is why I figured take the Interstate I be safe from them. But evadently not, My brother years ago was on a 4 lane highway and hit a deer with my Cadi. Guess there is not much difference between that 4 lane and the highway that is now called an interstate. I want to keep going as long as I can but these cannot be good hitting with our bikes, I have even heard of deer killing people flying thru windshields of cars. Never really hear anything about Motorcycles and deer. I have lights and usually see them on the sides of the roads so I slow way down, Then someone came in to a store the other day with a huge dent and busted out glass where the deer had hit them. So are they bull crapping, had one two many drinks, or can that happen? And I need to get ahold of MODOT and tell them they need to move there deer crossing sign way too many deer are crossing at that spot in the road and its kind of a blind curve and usually I am doing a good 60 or so around it. :Avatars_Gee_George:

There are more deer than there used to be and they're moving into the suburbs, probably cities too. I live about 3 miles from the Detroit city limits and it's not uncommon to see 2 or 3 in the back yard, most at once was 14. It's a rare day we don't see any. The only time I came close to hitting a deer with a motorcycle was just four miles from home on a suburban freeway.

It's also getting to be stupid season for deer. They're less cautious than usual.

I'm surprised you haven't heard of motorcycle - deer collisions. I hear of a lot of them and am amazed at how often the rider is un-injured. Turkeys on the other hand seem to be frequently fatal.

I'm extra careful at dusk this time of year.

I'm convinced that deer were put on earth for food because they are so stupid. When a vehicles headlight lights up the road, they decide it's a great time to cross. I was working 10 hours a day at the Cooper Nuclear Plant in Nebraska in 96 and signed up for an Autocad night class at Peru Universty in Peru, NE at night. I was going to class one evening after dark and had already entered the 35mph zone inside the city limits when a huge buck deer slammed into the side of my car. His body slammed against the fender and door and I was eyeball to eyeball with him for a second. I think my car ran over one or more of his legs. He got up and fell and got up again and wobbled away. Two nights later when I went to my next class, I asked the instructor had anybody found a dead buck deer around there and he said they had found two. I told him one of them was mine! The deer in NE are twice as large as in NC.

Speaking of deer and motorcycles, here in GA yesterday a teacher and his wife were riding their bike when they hit a deer. They weren't killed by the deer, but a cager not paying attention to the people trying to stop the traffic to avoid a second accident. Sad.

http://Http://www.macon.com/news/local/article176340561.html

Then last night coming home from dinner, we turned onto our street, and 2 small does go hopping and skipping down the street in front of us. I finally tell the hubs I need a crossbow and need to sit on the door window like in the dukes of Hazzard when those does hop, and skipped into my yard. That would be some dinner time yum right there. He just shook his head no. He knows I went looking at crossbows, and yes, I know how to field dress, and clean a deer, and worked a deer cooler too. I'm ready....lol.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Definitely more deer.

I was born in Clermont County, Ohio, and I still have many relatives in that county, next to Hamilton County (Cincinnati).

When I was a kid and even a young adult deer hunting was illegal in that county. We had to go two counties away to Adams county to hunt deer.

I am not familiar with the exact law as of today but I do know (as my cousins hunt) that in Clermont County the deer hunting is much more relaxed and very good. I know one year a person could take a buck and two doe. They are actually a problem.

I know in that county one reason for the boom in population of deer is they built a reservoir. Too bad as there were some great riding roads covered up. Not to mention the places to park with you honey.

Across the country there have been more lakes built plus the number of hunters has radically decreased as casualty of the anti hunting campaign thus more deer.

I now live in Texas. I have heard Kerr County has more deer per square mile than any place in the US. Not sure if it is true. I know that while riding on I-10 and the "Twisted Sisters" I saw more dead deer either along the side of the road or on the road than I have ever seen. I also saw many live ones waiting to commit suicide.

It's crazy, on Vancouver Island & many of the smaller Gulf Islands here in BC deer have become a major problem.

One UBC wildlife researcher has put numbers as high as 170 per sq. km (that converts to 440 deer per sq mile!!!) OK I accept this may be a worst case but it's one helluva lot!

Numbers have multiplied as major predators wolves & cougars have been driven out. The deer are destroying the natural landscapes, destroying habitat for other wild animals & birds, damaging crops & gardens, due to their population densities they are becoming sick & mangy, they cause accidents (some serious or fatal) Hunting is discouraged due to "possibility" of harm to people & mention a cull of any sort the "bambi effect" comes into force with anti hunt types being very vocal . Re-introduction of natural predators is also discouraged due to possible harm to children.

So what's the answer?

The general populace seems content to bury their heads in the sand, put up "deer-proof fences" so not in MY backyard, go to someone else's! A local newspaper brought the matter to the public's attention TWO YEARS ago in 2015, stating that deer had reached CRISIS levels. What happened?... nothing, well... the powers that be advocate a "comprehensive study" (FFS!!!). But absolutely nothing constructive has been done to actually reduce the numbers.

It's estimated that there are 30 million deer in the USA (couldn't find figures for Canada) & that under optimal conditions their numbers can double every two years.

Edited by Kretz

The freeways are definitely not safe from deer! I see dozens of Deer Smears every year and they get more frequent during rut.(right about now through Dec.)

About 3 years ago a buddy of mine was killed by a deer in a motorcycle collision.

About 10 years ago I got hit by a deer on the freeway on my '81 Yamaha Seca 750. I'm lucky to be alive.

I commuted 45 miles, round trip to work. Mostly highway riding. I was working midnights then and it was around 10:00 pm, mid October. I was in the right lane cruising at 75mph(minimum speed to not get run over by the cagers) with a line of cars behind and beside me. I saw the deer jump the fence and run toward the highway. My choices were to either lock up the brakes and hope the cars behind me stopped in time, or down shift and twist her tail. I chose the later and felt the deer hit the rear end of the bike at about 80 mph. It didn't shift me too much but I definitely felt it. When I got to work, my right rear indicator was hanging loose from the wires and my license plate was bent and had fur and blood hanging from the bent edge.

I bought a lottery ticket the next morning on the way home but I guess I used up all of my luck the night before!

Some of the newer cars can be totaled from hitting a deer, especially at interstate speeds. The farther north (read that the harsher the winter) you go the bigger the deer are.

As mentioned we are just starting to enter the silly season, where the ONLY thing on a bucks mind is procreation of the species, when you only get lucky once a year you are going to try to get the most out of it. Big bucks are trying to chase all of the smaller bucks out of their territory so that they can have all of the does to themselves, those chased bucks are literally running for their lives. Then those horny bucks do not want to wait until the doe is ready, they are trying for some early action, but since the does want nothing to do with it they are also running for their lives, and dignity. since all of these deer are being chased, they will blindly run across any road, I have seen them cross 8 lanes of interstate.

hit one on the bike 4 or 5 yrs ago, 2nd of dec. knocked me down, i slid and rolled a 100 ft or better. when i stopped, rolled over sat up went sob!!! got up and walked away and the deer never moved, went to a firemans frezzer. totaled the bike. i had broken wrist and dislocated left big toe. twas last day of hunting season, they had been shot'n at her

I always ride at night and sometimes I'm on the road around 2 or 3 in the morning. I always see them on the side of the road and several had crossed my path. Be extra careful this time of the year. Those deer are all over the place. Ride Safe.

Years ago I hit one with my VW Rabbit on the way to Susanville Ca. Came up on a herd of about 15 on the side of the road and slowed way down to about 6-7 mph to go past them, and just as I got up to them a doe decides to run in front of the car. Got her with the left head light and gave her one hell of a headache. I reported it to the Fish and Game when I got into town just in case she may have been really injured. Replaced the head light and continued on my way. Rabbit 1 Deer 0

Years ago I hit one with my VW Rabbit on the way to Susanville Ca. Came up on a herd of about 15 on the side of the road and slowed way down to about 6-7 mph to go past them, and just as I got up to them a doe decides to run in front of the car. Got her with the left head light and gave her one hell of a headache. I reported it to the Fish and Game when I got into town just in case she may have been really injured. Replaced the head light and continued on my way. Rabbit 1 Deer 0
I had a 1980 Vw Rabit diesel 5 spd moon roof I loved that car 50-60 mpg.... O yeah been trying to find another car like it... Been a challenge because people think they are made of gold and call them classics..

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

I had a 1980 Vw Rabit diesel 5 spd moon roof I loved that car 50-60 mpg.... O yeah been trying to find another car like it... Been a challenge because people think they are made of gold and call them classics.. Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

We have plenty of white tail deer here in the hills, not huge but so very plentiful, getting out of the hills and out on the plains and see some pretty robust mule deer. Hooved rats all.

On that IDI diesel, there is an excellent 85 near me. 1.6 NA coupe with a 5 speed. I think he o ly wants $2200. The TDIs are laced with gold, especially the ALH cars. Been looking for one for a long time. No luck for a MT, only autotragics. I gave up, I think its going to be a rough winter so I headed to CO and got an 06 B7 Audi A4 2.0 turbo 6 speed quattro sedan. Since you appear to be a VAG (VW/Audi group) fan im going to recommend you give one of these bad boys a throw. That 2.0T FSI is a jewel, 30-35 mpg, even with the AWD, and it will definately push you back into the seat. I think mine is chipped because its pretty nasty. If you dig Jettas and Golfs (like I do) and can do some of your own wrenching you must try one out. Im going back to CO to get an upgraded clutch/lightened flywheel installed, it needs it, and a different tune. A lot of car for not to much money but just like VW, Audi can be finicky, but I suspect you know that. I almost got a 335D, I love diesels but I effen hate iDrive. PM me if you want to know more about the 85 IDI near me.

We have plenty of white tail deer here in the hills, not huge but so very plentiful, getting out of the hills and out on the plains and see some pretty robust mule deer. Hooved rats all.

On that IDI diesel, there is an excellent 85 near me. 1.6 NA coupe with a 5 speed. I think he o ly wants $2200. The TDIs are laced with gold, especially the ALH cars. Been looking for one for a long time. No luck for a MT, only autotragics. I gave up, I think its going to be a rough winter so I headed to CO and got an 06 B7 Audi A4 2.0 turbo 6 speed quattro sedan. Since you appear to be a VAG (VW/Audi group) fan im going to recommend you give one of these bad boys a throw. That 2.0T FSI is a jewel, 30-35 mpg, even with the AWD, and it will definately push you back into the seat. I think mine is chipped because its pretty nasty. If you dig Jettas and Golfs (like I do) and can do some of your own wrenching you must try one out. Im going back to CO to get an upgraded clutch/lightened flywheel installed, it needs it, and a different tune. A lot of car for not to much money but just like VW, Audi can be finicky, but I suspect you know that. I almost got a 335D, I love diesels but I effen hate iDrive. PM me if you want to know more about the 85 IDI near me.

There Is a volkswagon truck right near me but they are asking 3200 for it I just don't see a VW rabit Truck being worth that, it does have a matching tana cover on it tho... I am almost willng to bet it will still be there in the spring. But I do want to know if its Diesel or gas. My I like the 80s jettas 90s werent bad but I just dont really dig these newer VW coming out there too rounded and never really did like the VW bugs they tried to remake but if I can find one that was withing a few years of them bringing them back with a flower pot still in it I may jump at that... LMFAO I want a stick tho....

Here in Iowa it is not a question of if you will hit a deer but when and how many.

Lisa took three out of the middle of a dozen or so lollygagging across the off ramp on I-35 at Truro Iowa several years ago.

I haven't hit one for the last seven years, so I'm past due.

Iowa ranks number 4 for car deer collisions in the US. Not sure who numbers 1,2 & 3 are but guessing upper Midwest.

We got enough of them in town that several cities allow bow hunting in city parks.

Only critter more plentiful is raccoons, but the deer are gaining on them.

Here in Iowa it is not a question of if you will hit a deer but when and how many.

Lisa took three out of the middle of a dozen or so lollygagging across the off ramp on I-35 at Truro Iowa several years ago.

I haven't hit one for the last seven years, so I'm past due.

Iowa ranks number 4 for car deer collisions in the US. Not sure who numbers 1,2 & 3 are but guessing upper Midwest.

We got enough of them in town that several cities allow bow hunting in city parks.

Only critter more plentiful is raccoons, but the deer are gaining on them.

Last years rank but still its where you say you are

http://www.bankrate.com/auto/the-10-states-where-you-face-the-greatest-risk-of-crashing-into-a-deer/#slide=11

https://newsroom.statefarm.com/state-farm-releases-2016-deer-collision-data/#BLuCowRB4CzJVev1.97

Michigan's bad too.. Few years ago I got stopped by the Michigan State Police for riding the passing lane on the ick-spressway at night when not passing - were no other vehicles around.. After explaining to the Trooper that I did that on a regular basis as a survival tool.. He ?'d that comment.. I told him that deer were always trying to trick me playing around jumping out of the ditch at me and having that xtra lane between me and them had actually saved my life a couple times.. Knock on wood = he said "sounds reasonable" and let me go..

Scariest close call for me was Tip, Tweeks and I were traveling 50 (Loneliest Highway in America) headed west out on Connor Pass.. Had just summitted the Pass, was magic hour, 3 Cow Elk crossed in front of us as we made a corner,, slowed wayyyyy down, below 10 mph to watch em,, very short way farther around the corner and there stood a MASSIVE Bull Elk standing on the shoulder of the road facing us.. I road the center line very slowly and could see his great big brown eyes staring at us as we putted past.. All of sudden he charged right at us.. I gunned Tweeks and his body came within inches of Tips leg..

Pulled down into grassy knoll about 1/8th mile from there and dropped the tent for the night... Nuff of that nonsense!!

We have a lot of deer here in North Idaho--but it`s the Moose that really bother me--they`re pretty much black and impossible to see in the dark,if you hit one you`re history,considering they weigh about 1500-2000 lbs--don`t like any animal around my bike .

WEst by God ranks way up there on the Deer list. I've collected a few. Whole lot rather do it with gun!!! I came around curve couple yrs ago and there were three in middle of road. I couldn't go around and grabbed as much brake as I could and went thru middle of them. Got a bruise on leg and could hardly walk for few days!! No idea which one I hit or where. Didn't hurt bike and don't think it touched it!! Had to go home and change Shorts!!

There Is a volkswagon truck right near me but they are asking 3200 for it I just don't see a VW rabit Truck being worth that, it does have a matching tana cover on it tho... I am almost willng to bet it will still be there in the spring. But I do want to know if its Diesel or gas. My I like the 80s jettas 90s werent bad but I just dont really dig these newer VW coming out there too rounded and never really did like the VW bugs they tried to remake but if I can find one that was withing a few years of them bringing them back with a flower pot still in it I may jump at that... LMFAO I want a stick tho....

Yea, no automatics, it sort of defeats the purpose of having a Euro car. I took my old Benz diesels that way, no choice. A straight rust free pickup does have value. More of a win if it has a diesel and a clutch. Im not fond of new Beetles, nice cars but not my style. I would take an air cooled standard beetle in a second, again. If you do snag that pickup do not hit a deer with it, those things are getting pretty hard to find without rust. Pretty sought after, esp with diesel/MT.

I have gotten so weary of deer that I rarely come close. Wifey and I each clocked a deer in the last couple years. Im so careful now its nuts. Dusk and dawn are extra bad. SoDak is like 6th in states for deer vs. car. But the Black Hills where I live is easily the worst part. Every morning there are several around my house. Plenty of wild turkeys too, and those can put the hurt on a car. Those stupid birds attack my Lexus if I wash it, they attack their reflection in it, it has hundreds of little vertical 6" scratches in it all over about 18" off the ground. They obviously have no idea how delicious they are or they might not so blatantly tempt fate.

I had a 1980 Vw Rabit diesel 5 spd moon roof I loved that car 50-60 mpg.... O yeah been trying to find another car like it... Been a challenge because people think they are made of gold and call them classics..

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

Mine was a '79 1.7L/5sp/FI. Used to get in the low 40 mpg. Once when coming back from Reno I decided to see exactely what I could squeeze out of it. Tanked it to the brim and never went above 55mph unless I was coasting in neutral down hill and then maybe hit 85... When I got back into town I stopped at the gas station up on the corner and filled it to the brim again. I'd traveled 110 miles and it took 1 gallon exactly. Amazing cars and they didn't have all the computer and smog controls they put on them now...

I think PA. is on top of the list.

close

[h=5]Pennsylvania[/h] Odds of hitting a deer: 1 in 67

Last year’s rank: No. 4

Pennsylvania, the 6th-largest state by population, had more than 3,600 auto accidents involving deer in 2015, according to the state’s Department of Transportation. A half-dozen people were killed in those crashes. State Farm says a motorist’s likelihood of hitting a deer in the Keystone State has gone up 4.5% since last year.