IGNORED

Took a Fall Today

BlueSky

No, not on a motorcycle. I've been building this 12' x 12' utility shed in the back yard. Today I was standing on the top of a 6' step ladder inside the shed nailing the roof sheathing when the ladder fell over dumping me onto the concrete floor. You'd think a 73 yr old would be wiser than that! Wouldn't you? Nah! I think I placed my left hand and right hand still holding the hammer on the sheathing in a vain attempt to stop the fall. The ladder fell left and I fell to the right between the step ladder legs. Ended up on the floor, my cap went flying maybe when my head bumped the floor. My glasses went flying across the floor. But, somehow I didn't get hurt!! My left elbow is sore and I got a small abrasion on my right thumb but otherwise no injuries. My wife suggested my extra cushion helped protect me! Ha! So, don't do the stupid things that I do like standing on top of a step ladder! :backinmyday: I got up and finished nailing the rest of the roof sheathing. And I forgot to buy lottery tickets!

No, not on a motorcycle. I've been building this 12' x 12' utility shed in the back yard. Today I was standing on the top of a 6' step ladder inside the shed nailing the roof sheathing when the ladder fell over dumping me onto the concrete floor. You'd think a 73 yr old would be wiser than that! Wouldn't you? Nah! I think I placed my left hand and right hand still holding the hammer on the sheathing in a vain attempt to stop the fall. The ladder fell left and I fell to the right between the step ladder legs. Ended up on the floor, my cap went flying maybe when my head bumped the floor. My glasses went flying across the floor. But, somehow I didn't get hurt!! My left elbow is sore and I got a small abrasion on my right thumb but otherwise no injuries. My wife suggested my extra cushion helped protect me! Ha! So, don't do the stupid things that I do like standing on top of a step ladder! :backinmyday: I got up and finished nailing the rest of the roof sheathing. And I forgot to buy lottery tickets!

CONGRATS on the total survival techniques you applied perfectly in that amazing act of proving you still got it brother = THAT is AWESOME!! And thankfully your family still allows you to test your amazing abilities in such a way..

My daughter came home from California for a visit last Christmas and, thinking she knows more than she does just because she is medical doctor,, took my 8 foot ladder away from me when she caught me balancing on the top of it in our living room to change a simple light bulb :95:... She promptly announced to my wife that she never, ever, ever wanted to hear of me doing such a thing ever again and then she told me she would send me a list of approved ladders for me to use for this task.. For an anniversary gift I just dismantled our living room and our bed room to have our carpeting in those areas cleaned and, in the process,, proceeded to drag out the ol 8 footer to change over to LED lighting in those areas... My wife, Tip, noticed my intent right away and within a matter of seconds we were on our way down to Menards to pick up my new 26 foot fully adjustable sissy ladder = seen below..

Amazing how things change when those youngens grow up and think they are soooo smart :240:

DSCN5873.JPG

DSCN5871.JPG

DSCN5870.JPG

DSCN5869.JPG

not to laugh but it brought up a memory. pops was standing on top of a step ladder painting. there was a bang the ladder blew into pieces he came straight down. when he landed the paint all went back into bucket just like cartoons even his eyes were huge. puc that looks a lot safer my peak is only 13 feet. ya got a bigen there.....:big-grin-emoticon: be safe my friends

People keep telling me how great retirement is (you Know the golden years)--the only gold I see is my urine-LOL,I had a boo-boo today too ,not as cool as yours though--got my finger caught in the wire-brush,you know in still hurts--LOL.

I think retirement is great! I worked until I was 70 and the last 3 years I have really enjoyed not having to go to work any more. I have plenty of stuff to do to stay busy. My 2nd wife who is 17 years younger is still working so I'm the house husband. I do the cleaning, shopping, washing clothes, and have supper prepared when she gets home. Then I have the yard work, the maintenance and repairs of my 05 Magnum Hemi, 02 F150 4x4, the wife's 13 Infiniti, my two old motorcycles, and the 98 18' Boston Whaler. I enjoy doing everything I can myself and stay as busy as I want to. I spend my weekends trying to entertain my wife as much as possible. She loves the beach and fishing so we drive out on the beach for splashing in the ocean and surf fishing a lot as well as taking the boat out to fish and going on a fun vacation when the wife can take off. I also walk for 50 minutes at a rapid pace around the subdivision 3 times a week and I do several exercises 3 times a week, 30 pullovers on my total gym, 45 arm curls on the TG all on the highest setting, 40 pushups from the knee, 25 situps, and 50 squats, just one set of each. I weigh 230lbs and need to get that down. Life is Good! Knock on Wood!

Hey BlueSky pleased you came out of it OK with no serious damage.

Thing is Puc's daughter is right, (trust her she's a doctor!) we all do some dumb stuff at times & often get away with it, but it only takes one time, we're not invincible (like we used to be LOL) anymore, & we don't bounce quite as well as we used to, though with all the additional padding some of us have, you have to wonder why.

Stay safe everyone.

I have seen a long extendable pole that goes higher than 20 feet or more to replace a light bulb. This can be a safer alternative, if you don't feel like climbing a ladder anymore. :scratchchin:

Yeah I used to just jump up there and change them things but hang time just ain't what it used ta be!!:Avatars_Gee_George:

C My wife, Tip, noticed my intent right away and within a matter of seconds we were on our way down to Menards to pick up my new 26 foot fully adjustable sissy ladder = seen below..

Amazing how things change when those youngens grow up and think they are soooo smart :240:

10-4 on the sissy ladder.... :thumbsup2:

Sounds like ya got it going. Don't slow down. Injuries forced me to stop working out in 09. Started back several times with little success. Just started again but these blasted Ribs won't heal. better this time maybe I can work thru it. Never Quit!!!

I'm sure that if I stopped exercising, I would be an arthritic couch potato pdq. I'm fighting it as hard as I can.

I'm sure that if I stopped exercising, I would be an arthritic couch potato pdq. I'm fighting it as hard as I can.

I agree. Keep trying. I'm really struggling to get back this time. A trip to the garage requires a break. Crazy. VA doc claims nothing is wrong but I can't breath!! Finally got a lung test out of the ***** the other day. See what they say that last smack on the ribs hurt!! Keep going I'm trying. I get a few more workouts in I want to see what my Bench is now. I never used that as a mark but I know I've lost a lot. I think if I can do 220 now I'll be happy. Used to do 600 with my legs wonder how much one legged??:Avatars_Gee_George: Be carefull climbing. I also have a Cellar Top building that needs a new roof before winter!

I don't try to go to my limits in exercising any more. Just don't think it would work out. What I do I go for is lots of repititions because I'm afraid I'll pull something that wouldn't have pulled a couple of decades ago. About 5 or 6 years ago when I was working away from home I was using a pull handle and socket to remove a tire from my truck. I actually pulled my right arm out of its shoulder socket. Hurt like heck but it popped back in place and I never went to a doctor. But, I had very limited use of my right arm for a long time. It was over a year before I had full range of motion again and another year or so before the popping stopped in my right shoulder when I did pushups. But now it's all good.

CONGRATS on the total survival techniques you applied perfectly in that amazing act of proving you still got it brother = THAT is AWESOME!! And thankfully your family still allows you to test your amazing abilities in such a way..

My daughter came home from California for a visit last Christmas and, thinking she knows more than she does just because she is medical doctor,, took my 8 foot ladder away from me when she caught me balancing on the top of it in our living room to change a simple light bulb :95:... She promptly announced to my wife that she never, ever, ever wanted to hear of me doing such a thing ever again and then she told me she would send me a list of approved ladders for me to use for this task.. For an anniversary gift I just dismantled our living room and our bed room to have our carpeting in those areas cleaned and, in the process,, proceeded to drag out the ol 8 footer to change over to LED lighting in those areas... My wife, Tip, noticed my intent right away and within a matter of seconds we were on our way down to Menards to pick up my new 26 foot fully adjustable sissy ladder = seen below..

I'm a bit younger Puc and I want one of those sissy ladders! They are awesome things! I keep trying to explain to the hubs the awesome things they do and he just looks at me like eh? My Dad had one, unfortunately it disappeared after either he or Mom passed away because I couldn't find any of of his tools when Mom passed.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Yeah I'm not going to push the weight but cain't help wondering how much I've slipped. Gonna ease my way up to 275 and that's enough. Reps probably do us a lot better at our age. Just doing something is a start!! We could have a Posedown at MD!!LOL. Skeer everybody off!!!:Avatars_Gee_George::backinmyday::mugshot:

Yeah I'm not going to push the weight but cain't help wondering how much I've slipped. Gonna ease my way up to 275 and that's enough. Reps probably do us a lot better at our age. Just doing something is a start!! We could have a Posedown at MD!!LOL. Skeer everybody off!!!:Avatars_Gee_George::backinmyday::mugshot:

Hey, we could make some money! I wonder how much we could get paid NOT to do a posedown!:rotf: