IGNORED

Two quickies on CARB SYNC and STARTER BUTTON

First a few months (maybe longer) back, I pulled the starter switch on the bike because I was having to hit the button twice to start the bike. I pulled the push button apart cleaned it then buffed both side of the contacts with a dremel tool. This took care of the problem for me, until!! I have the same issue recurring starting today. I guess i'll have to pull it apart and do it again. It seems to me that several of the "Electrical Thingies" aren't very well sealed on these bikes any suggestions to avoid making this a semi annual repair?

Carb SYNC tools for 4 cylinder bikes run between $65 for heche en china to over $120.00 for the one recommended by most of you. My local bike guy will do it for me for around $80.00. Should I get the tool and learn it my self of is this something that can be done once every couple of years and be forgotten about? ( i've had the bike since 2012 just out of warranty) and it hasn't been done yet.

There are many members here that have the carb-sync tool required that would probably help you to get it done. It's a simple task once you do it once or twice, and keeps the bike running more efficiently. I think most members would suggest doing it at least once a year, probably in the spring at the start to riding season.

I sync the carbs on my 07 RSV once a year. Usually requires very little adjustment. I have my own tool for this. I have over 109,000 miles on my starter switch and have not had any problems with it. Maybe there is a poor connection somewhere else that might be causing issues.

Hey Walt,

This switch does need to be cleaned from time to time. I use a small amount of CONDUCTIVE GREASE, (NOT! DIELECTRIC GREASE) on these contacts and it helps prolong the functioning of the switch.

As far as the Carb. Sync goes, I put a fair amount of miles on my bike, and am tinkering with it all the time so I spent the money and got the tool. I ride my bike HARD, and if I notice a drop off in power, or change in RPM at idle, or vibration at highway speeds, or hard starting I usually start with the Carb. Sync. If you ride your bike 500 miles a year, chug around in 5th gear all the time, don't like getting your hands dirty, or have some physical limitation that won't let you get down on your hands and knees and connect up the vacuum lines then $80.00 is not a bad price. I personally wouldn't go more than a riding season without checking the Sync. on the Carbs.

Some people like to RIDE, some people like to WRENCH, I like to RIDE and WRENCH!

Lucky Me!

Earl

.... My local bike guy will do it for me for around $80.00. Should I get the tool and learn it my self of is this something that can be done once every couple of years and be forgotten about? ( i've had the bike since 2012 just out of warranty) and it hasn't been done yet.

Lets see....a carb sync takes 5 minutes. 60/5 is 12. $80 x 12 is....$960/hr

Most members here with the carb sync will meet you and sync your carbs for free. Might cost you a coffee and having to talk with a member but $80 to sync carbs? That person has no idea what they are doing or they are ripping you off. Absolute maximum time to sync the carbs is 10 minutes but only if they are way out of whack. Hope you don't let that local bike guy touch your bike for anything !

I've met a number of members at coffee shops and shown them how to sync their carbs and done it for them. I usually check the carbs when I do an oil change. Takes 5 minutes and when you have the sync tool you can do it whenever and where ever you want....and help out others as well.

While we are on the subject of maintenance....do you check your steering head? I check mine every 10,000km (6,000 miles) and usually have to tighten it just a bit. If the bike feels like it is drifting in curves or starts to wobble at around 25 mph with hands off the handle bars....you need to tighten the steering head. Easy task to do. 27mm wrench, hammer, flat blade screw driver, and lift the bike off the ground (lift adapter is great !)

I was thinking about this the other day and had the same thought as Rafterd. The solenoid could be at fault and causing more draw (amperage) through the starter button switch thus causing the contacts to overheat and distort. Could also be a ground issue at/for the solenoid for this starter switch circuit.

Took the twist and go side apart yesterday. AS it took 7 hits of the button to engage the starter, the contacts that i had buffed almost a year ago are almost brown with rust/corrision/patina. I buffed with my dremmel and reassembled. starts fine now.

Looking at the assembly, lots of spots on the assembly that i can see daylight through, not pitted or distorted just not well sealed by design. so I'm assuming weather can get in. Going to get some contact grease, and some silver RTV and grease up the contacts and try to seal some of the more obvious gaps, also thinking of some kind of bellows or thin waled tubing around the spring and contact.

Doing the carbs saturday I hope. going to reread all the posts here and be ready to go, then.

I bought THE carb sync tool and have ordered for delivery any day the colortune tools to use on my 06 RSTD. It is not at all difficult as I first thought. Even if I only need to do this once per season, I will save several hundred dollars over the life of the bike.

That said, I have had no problems with the start or ignition switch so far, but I do plan to do the switch bypass to relieve some of the load.. More so because I plan to add some lighting and a sound system.