IGNORED

Here is something painful to watch

At this point in my life I actually enjoy sittin around watching other people work on their bikes and,, when asked,, joining in the fun.. This is sorta kinda becoming when of my favorite old age pass times.. I dont normally offer opinion while watching though unless its with someone who I know can handle advice - I LOVE helping my buddies and offering advice though cause deep in my heart I sorta enjoy :witch_brew::stickpoke::stirthepot: with my friends - not sure but might be one of those early stages of Grumpy Old Men syndrome.

Anyway, If I would have been there watching this guy and he was one of my buddys I probably would have suggested some simple things like never touching the face of the pads, wiping off the rotor real well with break cleaner after completion, swapping out the fluid when swapping on new pads, running the pistons out and cleaning em real well before pressing em back in (those were pretty nasty pistons,, personally I never cared much for having a caliper hang up and then smelling those pads while they turn the rotor red just before the wheel locks up), using an old brake pad to push the pistons in (never had need for the pressure a clamp like that applies BUT = to each his own)...

I am sure I missed some stuff cause I only grazed thru it but yea Duey,, gotta agree,, that was kinda sort disconcerting to watch cause good brakes can kinda sorta be important at times,, not always but sometimes:biker:

Good find Duey :happy34:

When pushing the pistons back I highly recommend opening the bleeder. It keeps the old dirty fluid from being pushed back into the master cylinder. Which can cause problems later. It also lets you make sure the bleeder is not plugged. Just my opinion. I also do not like working any more but I don't mind telling other people how. :)

Mike

Some,,, or lately a lot,,, of people think they can get famous by posting on the internet,,,, some!!

But,, maybe,, just possibly he has a grandson like mine who he never gets to see cause he is on the other side of the country and his grandson, like mine, tells his grandpa (like mine does) that HE (his grandpa) is his (his grandsons) You Tube hero and he (his grandson) all but begs his grandpa to keep on posting those videos up no matter what anybody thinks, says, does, feels, smells, tastes and on and on..

:stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot: :178::bighug::big-grin-emoticon:

• 1 month later...

hmmmm. After watching the video, I learned 'another' way of removing the calipers to replace brake pads. But....this is not what I have learned. I think it is not a good idea to remove those bolts from the rubber boots unless really necessary. At any rate, it does look ok with the end result.

That's the thing with You Tube videos. You really have to use a LOT of common sense, because there are many people out there purporting to be "experts" & they're not! You really have to be very selective as to what advice to accept.

Ha! Just look at some of the shooting & archery (use & setup etc) videos to see what I mean! There are some who really do know what they are doing & there are a LOT who.... well.... put simply.... Don't!

I guess this video does show that almost anyone can replace their brake pads & save a lot of money. One does hope that they will also do the things in Puc's post at the same time, but I guess many won't.

Finally took the time to watch the vid. I'll be kind and say "he was nervous" when making the video. there is free editing software for videos out there. A little editing and it wouldn't have been so bad. As an editorial on how not to doit and be fumble fingered it was enlightening to say the least.

I can't help but wonder how many people have watched this video and not realized his big mistake?

Well,,, I've never owned a 2nd Gen or had the honor of working on one but I do thoroughly enjoy participating in a good motorcycle repair guessing game :hihi: so I am gonna take a guess at what your talking about Sky... Thinking you are talking about something not mentioned in the video or by one of us club members in our responses I am gonna guess that you are refering to the fact that the whole job would have better accomplished had he taken the entire caliper off in the first place. This is assuming that there are pair of bolts that fasten the caliper to the bottom fork leg..

Beyond that,, the only thing that pops into my pea brain that we missed is the thought that maybe the guy would have been better off to take his scoot in and have a professional do the work but,:scratchchin:,, what fun would that be :rotf:

The brake fluid needs a place to go when you push the pistons back in, opening the brake fluid reservoir helps!

That's IT!! He couldn't push the pistons back in to stay when he did the second side because the reservoir was full and he didn't take the cover off and remove some of the fluid!!!!

That's IT!! He couldn't push the pistons back in to stay when he did the second side because the reservoir was full and he didn't take the cover off and remove some of the fluid!!!!

:think:,, I thought we were guessing something that wasn't addressed in his video presentation :duck:.. I never was much good at figuring out trick questions :178::biker::178:

Thinking about that comment though, back when I was in college I would :stickpoke: with the Prof's any time I would get a wrong answer on a quiz/test.. My negotiating skills in that way proved pretty handy at the end of it all cause I was always on the Dean's list and finished my Bachelor's with a 3.95 GPA because of those highly developed skills.. I would have graduated 4.0 if it wouldn't have been for similar trick questions associated with College Algebra,,,, :scratchchin: funny how some things never change:think:!! :rotfl: