IGNORED

RSV Repaired Rear Shock 2000 Mile Update

its great that we. More you have helped our members save some cash and give us something to talk about. Along with gaining knowledge.

Thanks for donating your shock so early in the process Rodney. As far as I know it's still out there and operating leak free.

Ride Safe and Ride Leak Free!

Fitz

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Venturerider Brothers and Sisters where has the time gone.  It’s been almost 4 years since my original post.  The 2000 miles I mentioned became 35,000 miles and my original repair finally failed last fall just prior to a trip to Southern Virginia.  It failed again during the trip. I have had 3 premature failures that I know of.  My shock and one of our members were repaired and had failed at about the same time.   I had increased the fluid refill in both from 125ml to 150ml.  That may have been the issue and I haven’t done that again.  The other was a pinched O ring.

To date I have replaced the O ring in about 70 RSV shocks with a very good success rate.  I have documented the process and designed a simple tool to extend the shock to expose the O ring.  If anyone would like this info send me a PM.

Thanks to all who have supported me in my efforts especially DaNetFlunky and Rbig1 for donating their failed shocks to stock the initial exchange program.  I have a third exchange unit and for the life of me I can’t remember who donated it but thank you also.

Ride safe and ride smooth!

Fitz

• Like 6

Hi Dave...

I just saw the updates on the shock topic.  I installed the rebuilt shock at the beginning of April...about 1500 miles on it to date.  Still clean and dry and doing what it's supposed to do. 

I had sent you my old shock after swapping in the new one, and haven't heard whether or not it actually got to you.  It would have arrived by the 2nd week in April, so if you did get it that might be your "spare".

Cheers...

7 hours ago, Papa Fred said:

Hi Dave...

I just saw the updates on the shock topic.  I installed the rebuilt shock at the beginning of April...about 1500 miles on it to date.  Still clean and dry and doing what it's supposed to do. 

I had sent you my old shock after swapping in the new one, and haven't heard whether or not it actually got to you.  It would have arrived by the 2nd week in April, so if you did get it that might be your "spare".

Cheers...

I received your shock Fred. I have 3 shocks in the exchange pool. I’ve kept them moving pretty quickly this spring. I usually have a couple in transit at any time. Keeps me on my toes. I normally don’t advise the sender when it arrives. If sent via USPS Medium Flat Rate Box as I suggest we can track delivery. Ride smooth and safe. 

• 1 year later...
On 9/29/2017 at 3:34 AM, k9cottage said:

i striped mine down today replaced the o ring cleaned it all and put it back together i did use 15 fork oil as i have a sidecar and wanted it a bit stiffer. when i put it back on the bike i jumped up and down on the pillion foot boards and it started to pogo for three bounces then the system bled itself and it stiffened up tis sitting now with 50psi feels perfect and can't wait to test it . a big thanks to dfitzbiz for figuring this out .:thumbsup:

Ho how did you replace the damage oring on the shock, looks like there s a clip but cant find a way to get it out ...

also do you have a CC oil quantity to suck in there ? 

Thnx

6 hours ago, maverickYQB said:

Ho how did you replace the damage oring on the shock, looks like there s a clip but cant find a way to get it out ...

also do you have a CC oil quantity to suck in there ? 

Thnx

Fitz has a tool he built to pull the shaft out to access the O-Ring. I'm not sure about the clip removal. You could PM dfitzbiz about it.

I plan on pulling my rear shock here soon as well.It's been pogoing for a while.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, bigboy81 said:

Well post 32 doesn't tell me if mine can be repaired. I read the whole thread and some say it's not repairable and some say it is. 

That's why I asked. 

Send the young lad a message,  he is probably the best source for info.

• 1 month later...

On the subject of Rear Shock,  I have my old one in the shipping box, to be possibly rebuilt and available to whoever needs a working shock.   I was pleasantly surprised by the handling that the new shock provided. If anybody wants it, don't be bashful, make some noise.