IGNORED

Decision time

Bert2006

Well, being laid-up as a result of my arm injury had got me rethinking a number of things. First, I had been considering selling the bike this summer as I am not using it as much as I wanted to. My wife's health makes it hard for her to ride so when I go I am now always alone. We bought our retirement property and that will demand a lot of my attention in the next few years. This season is now done as I recuperate and I will probably be putting it up for sale in the next few weeks. Also, my membership here is up for renewal and I will hold on that until I make my final decision. So, signing off for now but I would like to acknowledge all who have helped me out from this forum over the past 5 years from when I got the bike. :group cheers:

So long for now but I may be back. Will keep on lurking though to keep up on the news.

Hubert Cormier (AKA Bert2006)

Guess you'll have to make up your own mind, but things do change, sometimes for the better and sometimes the other way. ME? I think I would sit tight on the decision for a few months. I am quite in the same boat as we didn't ride all that much this summer. Some of that had to do with the weather, some with what ever else kept us busy, some of it deals with Marca's health. A feller wonders if the insurance cost is worth it or if the funds can be put to use somewhere else to be more effective. Yep, it's your situation and yours to decide, but for me, I figure if I would only put on a couple of thousand it would still probably be worth keeping, seeing as I already have it. Now, if I didn't have a scoot at this time, I don't think I would go to buy one,,,maybe!

So, blessings in your thoughts and decision.

With my recent injury I am also in the same boat in deciding whether to keep or sell the Venture. But just because I may not have the venture is still no reason to leave this bunch of misfits call VR.org. So even if I have to sell the bike I will still be here to cause trouble and make sure that @cowpuc keeps :stirthepot: :stirthepot: :stirthepot: done properly.

I only had the bike out once this year and I'll probably end up putting in the gas stabilizer and riding a few miles to get it circulated, then putting it away until next year.

Wife and I have a lot on our plate...both work full time....take care of my brother ( mildly autistic) and now have moved my 94, soon to be 95 year old father in with us.

Having said that I have NO plans to sell, but rather look forward to getting back on board as soon as I've a little time to do so.

Just having the old gal in the shed gives me hope that Ill be able to get out again.

I say, unless you really need the $$$, hang onto the bike.:2cents:

Last Sunday was the first time I've had mine out this year. Did 186 miles which is my total for the season. Haven't given up on getting it out a few more times but life is just busy right now. Still have no plans of selling it at this time. Always hopeful that things will slow down a bit before next summer.

I had this discussion with my SO recently. She can't/won't be comfortable on the bike anymore. Thought after her eye surgery it'd get better but not yet. I suggested selling my bike and my 96 LSC and getting a late model used mustang convertible, so we could still tool around.

She always is worried about me on rainy days on the bike ( Ride almost every day to work). I figured that no bike meant no worries, getting ride of a 20 year old car and replacing with something only 5 or 6 years old. Would make her happier.

Well the upshot of the whole conversation after I went on for 20 minutes about all the advantages, was this. She said "YOU BETTER NOT SELL THE BIKE!!!!" Evidently if I don't ride every couple of days the A$$hole factor goes up and the nice guy goes down. I thought I was lovable all the time!

So I'm keeping the bike, and the convertible is a few years off.

The other thing is the price on even a low mileage RSV has gone way down, We all know its a superior bike, but the public is enamored with the glitz and glamor of Fuel Injection, computer controls and blue tooth connectivity.

Last year I was in position where my health was going and never rode my bike at all. Sold a nice newer bike that was set up for exactly what I needed while going through treatments figuring the bike days were over.

After a month I started feeling a bit better and there was no bike in the garage...panic hit since there was always a bike-bikes around since I was a kid. Ended up picking up an 86 Venture that needed going over mainly to keep my mind occupied. Over the winter I got it mostly sorted out at probably twice the cost of what I originally figured. I have never been weaker or had a bike this heavy since my Harley days back in the early 70ies. Got the bike running fairly well and with help from Marcarl sorted some of the final touches.

I can honestly say that I've never had so much pleasure riding on this older bike this summer even though it has it's quirks, problems and will need a bit more work this winter. My hope is to keep riding as long as I am able and not sweat the problems life throws at us all.

For my two cents, keep the bike and ride it when you are able so there are no regrets later on.

I took "Sylvester" out today because it needs to be ridden and I had issues with fuel degradation last fall. Only rode it twice this year since going through the carbs, but wow it felt good. Only rode about 60 miles but the old bike ran great for only 200k on the clock. Called my wife (at work) and told her that even though my left hip hurt like hell, I was keeping the bike. She suggested I go ahead and get a Hannigan trike for it so we both could enjoy riding again.

:hurts::hurts::hurts:

:farmer:

I took "Sylvester" out today because it needs to be ridden and I had issues with fuel degradation last fall. Only rode it twice this year since going through the carbs, but wow it felt good. Only rode about 60 miles but the old bike ran great for only 200k on the clock. Called my wife (at work) and told her that even though my left hip hurt like hell, I was keeping the bike. She suggested I go ahead and get a Hannigan trike for it so we both could enjoy riding again.

Hey Sly,,, gotta ask,, you open to opinions on your thoughts of triking the scoot (noticed recent feelings getting hurt about folks sharing opinions on bikes and trying to avoid that = why I ask if your open to thoughts?)? If so,,, I got a ? for you,, when you say 200K are you saying 200 thousand miles presently on Sylvester?

Hey Sly,,, gotta ask,, you open to opinions on your thoughts of triking the scoot (noticed recent feelings getting hurt about folks sharing opinions on bikes and trying to avoid that = why I ask if your open to thoughts?)? If so,,, I got a ? for you,, when you say 200K are you saying 200 thousand miles presently on Sylvester?

Hey brother, you can't hurt my feelings. Give it to me. Yes 208,000 miles..

I'm in the same boat. I've only ridden about 5000 miles in the last year or so. Interests change. We are enjoying the convertible, recently bought a boat and my wife has little interest in riding anymore. So, I'm debating whether to put the Goldwing up for sale now or in the spring.

Dennis

Sorry about taking a bit to get back to you here brother = got caught in a real strong Anniversary celebration cross wind and just getting back to the business at hand..

208 thousand miles is OUTSTANDING IMHO - does that speak for the durability of these scoots or what? That said,, from my personal experience with these amazing scoots (speaking soley of the 1st Gen MK1's never owned a 2nd Gen - maybe a different critter) = the next 100k is where things can get dicey.. I retired Tweeks at just over 300k and I gotta say = she is/was one very tired scoot = I wore out 4 others before her and yes, they all got well into the 200k zone but life in that zone was not all that easy as they all showed the same level of just being tired and completely wore out..

That said and considering the costs associated with just having a Hannigan triking done on a scoot (last I heard it was well over 10 grand to have this done = again,, please dont quote me on this = I think it was much higher = maybe someone who has actually priced one out could jump in an affirm what I am trying to say) makes me wonder if maybe trading Sylvester off or selling him outright and then picking up a low mileage 2nd Gen to trike out would not be the better option..

All said Sly,, I am STRICKLY thinking out loud (gets me in big trouble around here) and shooting from the hip.. I hope you KNOW that regardless of what you decide to do = ol Pucster wishes you and that precious bride of yours nothing but the best in endless, trouble free, FUN CTFW miles together!! The most important thing IMHO is that you do whatever it is that will afford the two of you enjoying life TOGETHER!!

Puc

In our part of the country used trikes are often selling cheaper than you can get one done. The trike shop isn't near as busy as the last few years. Touring bikes and trikes are moving slow here. I was in a multi brand shop a few months ago and they told me they couldn't move new Wings and rarely even sold a used one anymore.

Sorry about taking a bit to get back to you here brother = got caught in a real strong Anniversary celebration cross wind and just getting back to the business at hand..

208 thousand miles is OUTSTANDING IMHO - does that speak for the durability of these scoots or what? That said,, from my personal experience with these amazing scoots (speaking soley of the 1st Gen MK1's never owned a 2nd Gen - maybe a different critter) = the next 100k is where things can get dicey.. I retired Tweeks at just over 300k and I gotta say = she is/was one very tired scoot = I wore out 4 others before her and yes, they all got well into the 200k zone but life in that zone was not all that easy as they all showed the same level of just being tired and completely wore out..

That said and considering the costs associated with just having a Hannigan triking done on a scoot (last I heard it was well over 10 grand to have this done = again,, please dont quote me on this = I think it was much higher = maybe someone who has actually priced one out could jump in an affirm what I am trying to say) makes me wonder if maybe trading Sylvester off or selling him outright and then picking up a low mileage 2nd Gen to trike out would not be the better option..

All said Sly,, I am STRICKLY thinking out loud (gets me in big trouble around here) and shooting from the hip.. I hope you KNOW that regardless of what you decide to do = ol Pucster wishes you and that precious bride of yours nothing but the best in endless, trouble free, FUN CTFW miles together!! The most important thing IMHO is that you do whatever it is that will afford the two of you enjoying life TOGETHER!!

Puc

Here is kind of an example of the reason for my thoughts shared above @Sylvester.. Take a look at this one and notice that the person selling it has a $12500 starting bid but NO reserve = means he would in fact sell this one for 12500 : http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Yamaha-Royal-Star/332380781188?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20150313114020%26meid%3Df92330877f494240b0390d318ec36ef7%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D162676473041&_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726

According to the ad it has under 15k miles on it and is an 08.. Just thinking out loud here cause I REALLY have no factual clue on what a trike kit installed cost but - just for giggles,, lets say its 12500 dollars parts/labor = buy this one and your get a 14k mile Gen 2 thrown in free :big-grin-emoticon:

Any of that make sense Sly? I know,, my line of thinking is usually wayy out there but,, makes sense in my pea brain..

On the other hand,, if a Hannigan kit is under 8500 (deducting 4 grand for the bike) installed (which it very well may be) than indeed,, the cost/value factor may not be what my brain thinks it is..

OK, that is a Triwing (Canadian made) conversion and it has a solid rear axle. Depending on what year it was purchased it can be anywhere between $6000 and $7000 just for the kit and either you do it or you pay to have it done. The Hannigan conversion does NOT come as a kit, it is either installed by Hannigan or one of its authorized dealers. When I did mine the cost started at $11,000 IF you brought the bike to the factory to have it done. If you had a dealer do it, there were additional crating and shipping charges which increased the price another couple thousand. Depending on which accessories you decide on, a Hannigan conversion done at the factory will run you close to $16,000 or more! The Hannigan is an independent rear suspension setup.

That being said, the price for that trike, especially with the listed additions, is a VERY good price! If you are in the market for a trike, I would very strongly consider flying out and looking at it!!