IGNORED

Need feedback on Can Am Spyder

Freebird

Eileen wants a Spyder. I don't know how much she'll ride it so am looking at used. Though I would like to get the touring model, we can't spend that much money right now so are looking at the RS and GS models. I have found one that seems to be priced pretty good and has a handful of options on it.

It is a 2010 Roadster RS-S SE5 with 14,000 miles.

[h=1][/h]Is there anything specific with this model that I should be concerned about?

How many miles are these Rotax engines good for before major maintenance is required?

Is there anybody here near the Big Bend, WI area that could stop by and look at it for me?

If I buy it, I may pick it up and trailer it home. What size trailer do these things require?

spyder.jpg

That's where I got my Venture from. Good dealership, lots of turnover. I don't know much about them (spyders)...sorry. The only thing I did not like is sitting on it felt like I was riding a touring bike...i.e. feet were underneath me as opposed to out front, but I see that there are highway pegs on it, so that may help. Rode nice, but after about 20 min my knees were aching, this model did not have pegs. I'm 6'3 so unless the wife is as tall as me I doubt she would run into the problems I had with it.

Don, my friend (78 years old) has the RS model I believe. He has spent a bunch of money buying Corbin saddle bags, extra high wind screen, different foot pegs and probably some other things. He really likes the bike but has complained about vibration since he bought it. He has just bought new front tires hoping that will fix the problem. I could put you in touch with him if you like.

That's where I got my Venture from. Good dealership, lots of turnover. I don't know much about them (spyders)...sorry. The only thing I did not like is sitting on it felt like I was riding a touring bike...i.e. feet were underneath me as opposed to out front, but I see that there are highway pegs on it, so that may help. Rode nice, but after about 20 min my knees were aching, this model did not have pegs. I'm 6'3 so unless the wife is as tall as me I doubt she would run into the problems I had with it.

I agree with you about the riding position. I tried one and it was NOT for me. This is for the wife though and she really enjoyed the pretty long test ride that she took at the same time. I am almost as tall as you and it didn't work for me. She is only about 5'4 though.

Don, my friend (78 years old) has the RS model I believe. He has spent a bunch of money buying Corbin saddle bags, extra high wind screen, different foot pegs and probably some other things. He really likes the bike but has complained about vibration since he bought it. He has just bought new front tires hoping that will fix the problem. I could put you in touch with him if you like.

Thanks for the response Gary. Luckily, this one already has the hard bags, higher and wider windshield, Highway pegs. I've heard of vibration and alignment issues also but if that is a problem, I'll get Marcarl down here and feed him for a weekend to help me get it straightened out. I know that he went through some of that with his.

That was a long time ago, Don, that you rode a Spyder. You probably shorten up a little since then.:whistling:

The 2010 has the 990 engine, 2 cylinder and vibrates some. To us at the time when we test rode it, same day and unit as you did, it was a no player and was not attractive. In 2014 they came out with the 1330, 3 cyl and we bought that. There is some vibration at start up, but soon smooths out. We really like it:happy65:. It has a lot of pluses: One brake, no kick stand, stable, a hoot in the corners, lots of power, gravel friendly, except for belt issues, cheaper tires, low heat radiation, 10,000km oil changes (2014 went to 15,000) easy steering as opposed to a trike (diminishing power assisted).

Downsides: expensive parts, not easy for oil changes, Kenda tires are junk, engine vibration (990), storage on the RS model, seat isn't the greatest for a long haul, 4.5 inch ground clearance, mirrors aren't in the greatest location for 2up, but they work.

You will need a 6' wide trailer, 8'long. Because of low clearance you need a long ramp or a hill to help out. Not only will the center get stuck, the nose is also a pain to load.

Rotax is known to be a very good unit, at least the reputation of the V4.

Personally I would go for an RT and 2014 or later to get the 3 cylinder.

Nope, would not go back to 2 wheels, just to much fun on these.

Things to look for.

Kenda tires are junk, they don't last long, so if it has Kendas plan on new skins soon, use Kumos, General, Koyo.

It should track straight, on the straights and not twitchy in the corners or it will need an alignment.

Belt will vibrate if tension is off. It should have an idler installed about half way. The earlier models have a much higher tension spec and tend to take out the engine end bearing. Later they lowered the tension setting and seems to be better.

That's all I can think of right now.

... I'll get Marcarl down here and feed him for a weekend to help me get it straightened out. I know that he went through some of that with his.

Don.....tread carefully...can you really afford to feed Carl for an entire weekend?? Bwahahahahaha.

Don - maybe you and Eileen should make a trip to Canada ! As for feeding Carl...you know he'd have to bring his entourage of fellow Canadians. Could turn into a mini-maintenance day working on your "new" Spyder. I know Carl had his eyes on the new model Spyder when we went to Pioneer a month or so ago...you might be able to talk him into selling you his (a finely tuned machine) so he can "upgrade".

One more note: The Spyder we borrowed from Pioneer some years back, the one you rode as well, lost it's muffler shortly after starting out. Now I noticed the license plate is hanging off the one in the picture. Maybe not a good sign.

And thanks guys, I don't eat as much as some as my belt is a smaller size than some others that I have met, and a MD wouldn't be so bad, I think Don might be ready for a break.

Well, here's the final deal. I've reached an agreement on a different one. Unless something unravels between now and the weekend, we will pick it up Saturday or Sunday. This one is only an hour away.

I agree that the larger engine would have been a better choice but I just don't have that kind of money to spend right now and I don't know how much she will end up riding it. If she really loves it, we can upgrade later.

So I ended up buying a 2012. RT Limited.

Pearl White , Low Miles 6,225

Luxury Version equipped with:

Vehicle Stability System

Cruise Control

Semi-automatic Transmission

GPS - Garmin Zumo 660 w touch screen & Bluetooth wireless

Chrome Wheels

Electric Windshield

4 Semi-Rigid Travel Bags & Travel Covers -Full & Partial

SpyderRT.jpg 00E0E_5jMQrzXrrcJ_600x450.jpg

Looks good Don, hoping that Eileen falls in love with it. Tell her to ride it, ride it and then ride it some more. It's going to take a little getting used to, but once that starts there ain't no end in sight. Hope you know how to make supper, do the floors, clean the windows, make the bed, go shopping, laundry and do your regular work in-between.

So where is Eileen?????? OUT RIDING!!!!

I would say that I would NEVER ride on the back...but I know that somewhere, there is photo evidence to the contrary. :doh:

C'mon guys, who has that photo? We gots to see it! Marcarl???

Congrats on the find Don, a friend of mine has one & he absolutely loves it! The riding position is peculiar though (to me) but I guess it is very "adventure style bike" seating placement & therefore built for long comfortable rides.

Hope your wife loves it too.

Congrats and welcome to the Spyder world. I have been on my RT Limited for 2.5 years now and 23000+ miles. It is a great ride and tons of fun.

1 Go to Spyderlovers.com,lots of information there. Be sure to read the "Do's and Don'ts" thread especially the first part that concerns the 998 motor. They use the same forum software we do.

2.Good move on the Limited. I would not pay new for one but I would not buy a used one that wasn't.

3.The V twin smooths out as the revs increase. Rev it. It is a great engine,lots of power and there are many other ther now with well over 50,000 and more then a few over 100,000 with no major problems.

4 Gas mileage sucks but it is better then my Goldwing Trike

5 Run the premium. This is not a Venture and it just doesn't run as good on the cheaper stuff.

6 Don't trust the Analog gas gauge,it is notoriously inaccurate. I gas mine at about 160 miles. But by then I am ready to hit the restroom anyway.

7 Motorcycledave.com is your friend. I put his gel pad in my seat for under $100 and turned a 2 hour seat into an all day seat. He will also make you a swinging deal on a Sena Bluetooth setup so Eileen can have the music in her helmet. If you get the paired set up you all can talk to each other as you ride. A CB with intercom and wired headsets is available from BRP but very expensive and not worth it. I see that you only have one antenna so you don't have it.

8 Make sure you get the Apple connector and the MP3 connector. These go in the trunk and will allow you to hook up an older Ipod or Iphone into the sound system. It can be controlled from the handlebars. The MP3 and Android will also play thru the sound system but can't be controlled by it other then volume. Make sure you get the owners manual.

9 Your bike is 5 years old. You will need the coolant and the brake fluid changed. I know mileage is nil but it is also a time thing.

10 I use full synthetic in mine Rotella T6 10-40. It is cheap and you can get it at any Walmart. Use what ever you like in a full synthetic but change it out at 4500 mi. Filters can be had from BajaRon (frydad@hotmail.com or from the Home page at spyderlovers.com)

11 After she has ridden it some she will want BajaRon's sway bar so it will corner better.

12 Alignment issues. By now if it had any serious issues they should have been taken care of. If your front tires look like they are wearing funny get a laser Alignment. Few dealers have the equiptment to do this. Squared Away out of Las Vegas travels the US doing alignments but there are others.

13. Kenda tires are very low grade tires single ply. Your rear tire will be gone at about 10,000 to 12,000miles. Replace with a car tire as close to the stock size as possible. To many good ones to name. Fronts should go to 20,000 to 24,000. Also car tires when you replace.

14 Rear brakes for some reason wear out fast so keep an eye on them.

15 Ride that thing Eileen. Ride Ride Ride The more you ride the more you'll like it. The riding position is like a 1st gen and I find it very comfortable except that my knees need to be unbent sometimes so I have highway pegs on it.

The Spyder is out of the ordinary,it is fun and it is reliable,or I have found it to be so. I have already covered most of the West on it and just do normal maintenance on it. The hardest thing is taking your time to take all the plastic off it to get to anything.

Well, here's the final deal. I've reached an agreement on a different one. Unless something unravels between now and the weekend, we will pick it up Saturday or Sunday. This one is only an hour away.

I agree that the larger engine would have been a better choice but I just don't have that kind of money to spend right now and I don't know how much she will end up riding it. If she really loves it, we can upgrade later.

So I ended up buying a 2012. RT Limited.

Pearl White , Low Miles 6,225

Luxury Version equipped with:

Vehicle Stability System

Cruise Control

Semi-automatic Transmission

GPS - Garmin Zumo 660 w touch screen & Bluetooth wireless

Chrome Wheels

Electric Windshield

4 Semi-Rigid Travel Bags & Travel Covers -Full & Partial

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=110329 http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=110330

Congrats and welcome to the Spyder world. I have been on my RT Limited for 2.5 years now and 23000+ miles. It is a great ride and tons of fun.

1 Go to Spyderlovers.com,lots of information there. Be sure to read the "Do's and Don'ts" thread especially the first part that concerns the 998 motor. They use the same forum software we do.

2.Good move on the Limited. I would not pay new for one but I would not buy a used one that wasn't.

3.The V twin smooths out as the revs increase. Rev it. It is a great engine,lots of power and there are many other ther now with well over 50,000 and more then a few over 100,000 with no major problems.

4 Gas mileage sucks but it is better then my Goldwing Trike

5 Run the premium. This is not a Venture and it just doesn't run as good on the cheaper stuff.

6 Don't trust the Analog gas gauge,it is notoriously inaccurate. I gas mine at about 160 miles. But by then I am ready to hit the restroom anyway.

7 Motorcycledave.com is your friend. I put his gel pad in my seat for under $100 and turned a 2 hour seat into an all day seat. He will also make you a swinging deal on a Sena Bluetooth setup so Eileen can have the music in her helmet. If you get the paired set up you all can talk to each other as you ride. A CB with intercom and wired headsets is available from BRP but very expensive and not worth it. I see that you only have one antenna so you don't have it.

8 Make sure you get the Apple connector and the MP3 connector. These go in the trunk and will allow you to hook up an older Ipod or Iphone into the sound system. It can be controlled from the handlebars. The MP3 and Android will also play thru the sound system but can't be controlled by it other then volume. Make sure you get the owners manual.

9 Your bike is 5 years old. You will need the coolant and the brake fluid changed. I know mileage is nil but it is also a time thing.

10 I use full synthetic in mine Rotella T6 10-40. It is cheap and you can get it at any Walmart. Use what ever you like in a full synthetic but change it out at 4500 mi. Filters can be had from BajaRon (frydad@hotmail.com or from the Home page at spyderlovers.com)

11 After she has ridden it some she will want BajaRon's sway bar so it will corner better.

12 Alignment issues. By now if it had any serious issues they should have been taken care of. If your front tires look like they are wearing funny get a laser Alignment. Few dealers have the equiptment to do this. Squared Away out of Las Vegas travels the US doing alignments but there are others.

13. Kenda tires are very low grade tires single ply. Your rear tire will be gone at about 10,000 to 12,000miles. Replace with a car tire as close to the stock size as possible. To many good ones to name. Fronts should go to 20,000 to 24,000. Also car tires when you replace.

14 Rear brakes for some reason wear out fast so keep an eye on them.

15 Ride that thing Eileen. Ride Ride Ride The more you ride the more you'll like it. The riding position is like a 1st gen and I find it very comfortable except that my knees need to be unbent sometimes so I have highway pegs on it.

The Spyder is out of the ordinary,it is fun and it is reliable,or I have found it to be so. I have already covered most of the West on it and just do normal maintenance on it. The hardest thing is taking your time to take all the plastic off it to get to anything.

Reading thru this and knowing Carl had the 3 cylinder = I was :fingers-crossed-emo you had found this thread and had responded before I zapped cha with the ol "@" zapper Paul!! Excellent write up = lots of really good info there IMHO...

@Freebird - be sure and tell Eileen CONGRATS for us!! Gorgeous machine!! Hope she many many miles of :big-grin-emoticon:'s out of her new scoot and that you enjoy the relaxation that can only be found in riding Bi,,, on the back seat = so I'm told :mugshot:.....

Looks and sounds like a dandy folks - all the very best of CTFW!!

Puc

She will like the RT. I started out with a 998 Rt Limited just to see how I liked it. Sold it 3 weeks later (You know me!) and bought a 2015 F3! It was a blast and more fun to ride. Bought another RT this summer to resell. The 998 cc engine does has issues. The first one I bought had already been gone through at 19000 miles. The hardest thing to get used to is to lightly grip the handlebars and let the Spyder do its tracking. I compare it to riding across a grated bridge. I rode most of the time with my hands on top of the grip and fingers open. I am a big guy so the RT did not fit me well. Anyway, I'm sure your love it. If she doesn't ride aggressively the stock front suspension should be just fine. It could aready have been upgraded by the PO. As for accessories- Craigslist or Spyderlovers is a place where she can shop used. Enjoy!

We rode one for a day at the NY Rally one year. It was an RT with this same engine. She loved it but it didn't fit me that well with my long legs. She has wanted one ever since then. She probably drove it for a couple of hours that day. I'm not really worried about the engine. One that has already been through at 19,000 miles is a problem. I think there was more going on there. I've already been on Spyderlovers and see instances of many with a lot of trouble free miles. I guess you can get a bad one with any brand. If price had not been an issue, I would likely have looked for the 1300 but it would have cost a good deal more money to do that and she will be very happy with the 988. More power is never a bad thing but I wasn't disappointed with the performance of the 998 that we rode. Heck, I think they are rated just north of 100 HP anyway.

I THINK we got a pretty good deal on this one. I was looking at the one in Wisconsin but it wasn't an RT and it was about a 7 hour drive one way. It also had some modifications that I would have been OK if I had done them but not knowing the previous owner, it always makes me wonder if it was ridden hard. For example, it had a Two Brothers Exhaust system on it. I prefer to buy things pretty stock and then make my own changes if needed.

I found another one about 30 minutes from my house. It was a 2011 with only 840 miles. I made the guy an offer and didn't hear back from him until after I bought this one. He came back with a slightly higher price than my offer but it would still have been a good deal I think. It was black though and my wife REALLY wanted a white one.

So, time will tell but I hope we made a good decision. I know she is really excited about it.

Congrats Don & Eileen, hope you have loads of fun.

Keep in mind that not all acc for a 12 will fit a 14 n up.

Spyder should ride straight on it's own, if it twitches, it needs an alignment, if it doesn't track the corners properly it's needs an alignment. Lots of people don't like these machines because they get tired when riding them and that will happen if the alignment is out, and then they sell them prematurely. I made a laser setup and it works awesome.

My 1330 gets just slightly less gas mileage than a V4, fact is last Sunday I got a little bit better than Saddlebum.

Yes, back brakes wear fast, keep an eye on them.

All that plastic, is not so bad. It takes time on a Venture as well,,, only thing is, to do an oil change there is a bit of work and time.