IGNORED

Who Are We, and Are We a Dying Breed?

luvmy40

Maybe not the most apt title for this but, here goes.

Who, or maybe "What" is the better question, are we?

Are we "Bikers"? Are we "Motorcycle Enthusiasts"? are we "Touring Riders"? are we Venture "Fan Boys"? or is there some other slang term to sum up our seemingly unique existence?

I don't mean this to be a deep, philosophical question. It just kind of popped into my head while commenting on another thread about the "Gen 3".

What defines the "Venture Rider"?

I am, probably atypical of the general membership here. Then again, maybe not.

I started riding at a fairly young age. My parents had nothing to do with it. A childhood friend had a 50cc Honda Elsinore and he taught me to ride it in the mountains of Virginia on my summer vacations. I saved enough allowance to buy one of my own and proceeded to tear up the local(NEOhio) trails and sand pits. I graduated to a Suzuki RM 125 in my teeny bopper years and then took a long hiatus from riding when girls and cars became more important to me. I joined the Army straight out of high school and bought my first HD in Colorado Springs from a Yamaha dealership. It was a trade in, rat bike. I had gone to test ride the new XJ700 Maxim X but the FXST, with it's poorly done chop job(10" overstock forks, double square head light and tear drop tank) called out to me for some reason. At less than Half the cost of the new XJ, the 2 year old HD went back to the barracks with me.

I slowly modified it to become what I claim as the first HD Fat Boy. A wide Glide front end and a set of fat bobs tanks spread out a couple inches along with the widest rear tire I could fit with the belt drive, a rattle can black paint job and very little chrome made the "Rat Bike" statement but the locally bored and stroked 92" motor with Screaming Eagle carb, cams and drag pipes made the very vocal statement of power. She was the the epitome of American Motorcycle budget customization.

I crossed this country 3 times on that bike(Well, from Colorado to Sturgis and Ohio, Ohio to Texas, Texas to Sturgis and back anyway) collecting tattoos and memories. In another thread I stated that My last trip to Sturgis was in 1990, but in retrospect, it must have been in '89 because in Aug. 1990 I was preparing to deploy to Desert Storm with the 3rd ACR out of El Paso. When I got back from the sand box, I came very close to joining a 1% club out of ignorance and being in a very dark place emotionally. Luckily, I woke up and did not go down that deadly road.

I sold off everything to pay for a nasty divorce, ETSd and went home to Ohio.

My dad, who had, unbeknownst to me been a Harley owner in the 50's had bought a Honda Nighthawk 450 while I was gone and was in the process of building one of those VW framed trikes. I'd never seen him on bike or heard him talk of riding. It was about then that he told me about a scar on his right bicept that had always been there. It was a badly healed tattoo removal. Evidently, My mother's family would not let her marry a "Tattooed Biker", so he cut off his Naval Anchor and sold his Pan Head. That's love! My mother was not happy with us! My Tattoos and both of us riding again, she did not like it one bit.

Over the next few years I briefly owned a '79 Sportser and a home built '50s vintage pan head. Nothing grabbed me like that first HD did so I didn't keep anything for long. Then, I met the love of my life and we started our family. That took precedent over bikes and tattoos for a while.

About fifteen years ago I finally had the extra cash and decided to start riding again. I bought a nearly stock(kerker header), '81 XJ750RH Seca from a the original owner and rode that bike everywhere, rain or shine and sometimes in the snow! I hadn't realized just how much I missed being in the wind. I also found out how badly out classed even my "hot rodded" Harley was by the Metric bikes. I have been in love with the XJ bikes and Yamaha since that day. Well, in all honesty I had been in love with the Seca since 1981 when I first saw one that the Local Yamaha Dealer. I couldn't afford one then so the love affair was from afar but still there!

That Seca is still in my garage, though it's in pieces. Between me and my son, who inherited it upon graduating high school, we put close to 100K miles on that old girl. Many thousands of them in the Phoenix heat. She finally gave up the ghost and has been relegated to donor status.

I've had a Katana and a couple Suzuki GS series bikes over the last decade and I currently own an '82 XJ750 Maxim and my '83 Venture. It's ironic that now that I actually own a bike built for comfort and touring performance, I don't have the time to to take any long road trips. I plan them. I plan several a year, but something always comes up and they never come to fruition.

So, am I a "Biker", an "Enthusiast", a "Rider" or what?

I think eccentric old man is closer to the truth than anything!

After wading through this epic tale of my dastardly youth, thank you for your patience!

Now, what's your story?

First, hats off to you.

I dont really enbrace the connotations carried by the word "biker", as I'm sure it has morphed over the years. IMHO you/we are motorcyclists, not to be confused with motorcycle owners (trailor owners). We own them, we ride them, we are likely highly put off by the notion of trailoring one anywhere. Explorer and traveler works into the soul of a touring rider, adventure to at least a small degree, perfect solotude being one of the aspects that I enjoy a percentage of the time. Off the beaten path works into it too. We love and live it. Motorcyclist is my vote.

Thanks for the good read!

It's all semantics my friend, all semantics!

Myself, I never liked the term "Biker" because it brought visions of the 1%ers to me. I prefer to label myself a motorcycle enthusiast who also enjoys motorcycle touring.

My history, my first ride was when I was 15 on a Lambretta. I learned to drive 2 wheels on a Vespa and then bought my first bike, a Honda 90s followed by several small to mid sized Hondas and Yamahas. Back in '83 I fell in love with the Venture but no way could I ever afford one. Well, fast forward to 2004 when my trusty Honda CX650 Custom finally reached a point of needing more repairs than I was willing to give it, and this friend at work told me of his neighbor having a big touring bike for sale. It turned out to be an '84 Venture Royale with only 8000 miles on it! He bought it from an old lady whose husband had purchased it new, rode it a little, then passed away. It took the lady a looooong time to finally sell it. He got it running, and found out his wife didn't like it, and it was too big for a solo bike, so he was selling it. My wife liked it and so did I so I bought it!

In the fall of 2004 I joined a website called Venturers. A few months later I stumbled upon THIS site and started to make friends here. In a short while I discovered the real character of this site, or more appropriately this FAMILY!!! Within a year or so I witnessed this site literally give away 3 refurbished Ventures to members that fell upon hard times, and another member who was storing a Venture for another member while he was deployed spearhead a movement to completely restore that Venture!! I saw where if someone needed a part for his bike and someone else had that part, that part was given to him no charge, and even shipped free to that person! It was not uncommon for one member to travel several hundred miles to help out another member fix his or her bike! It was also not uncommon for someone to travel several hundred miles just to meet up for a cup of coffee!

Speaking of travelling, it is a known fact that someone could travel coast to coast and always find a member along the way willing to put them up for the night and even feed them! If you break down along the way, there is a list of members eager and willing to help out in your time of need!

So, what defines a Venture Rider?? Someone who is a member of the best darn family I have ever had the pleasure of meeting!!!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

As I'm a lady without a bike and do a lot of the mechanics for and with the hubs I'm probably more the enthusiast. That might change if he every gets a trike for me. But I probably earned it honest. My Dad and great uncle were bikers in the 50s and 60s. Dad had (I'm told at least) a '54 Indian he bought new and rode for almost 15yrs until my great uncle passed away, then he sold it. Even Dad didn't want me around bikers, which is odd, considering he took me to other places that were most definitely not the kind of places you wanted to take a child of a middle class upbringing to... but I digress. My other half is the casual rider mostly around the area and to and from work, and to and from the Vogel Rally since it's in state. Beyond that, he hasn't been too willing to travel by bike or otherwise.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Been down the Outlaw road. Lucky to get away. Freaking Idiots!! Rode a little of everything. Have a XJ750 Maxim and a couple Ventures. Set in garage and talk to them. Trying to find out where I am. At this moment No Idea!!! What am I?? Wait til I find out where I am!!:Avatars_Gee_George::mugshot:

well its starting to look like a poser. Don't get out that much. Would rather work on them it seams like. and now have to pick up grand kid from preschool or I guess its called kindergarden. That is more important to me.

I grew up in the woods and on the ocean. A bit of a loner. I liked nothing better than going out in my little boat into the teeth of a storm and daring it to sink me. As soon as I learned to drive I found how much I liked to push it. faster was better. I wound up buying various British sports cars and drove them hard. I even got my racing licence. But the cars increased in cost to where I could no longer afford them. I switched to motorcycles and sailboats. I think they are comparable. You have to be really alive and aware to run either. Now I like to cruise on either. Although I have been clocked at 150 MPH on a bike ( Darn radar traps) And I have been out sailing in storms which I barely survived I do not think I am a dare devil or Adrenalin junkey. They were calculated risks. I once gave an interview on the radio promoting our toy run. The announcer was rather hostile. At the end he asked why anyone would ride a bike. I asked him why would anyone climb a mountain, sail a boat, race a car, explore a jungle? He had no answer. I have no answer either. I think we are all individualists, each with his/her own reasons.

I call myself a biker enthusiast, growing up my neighbor had its share of Harley panheads later some Honda's, Triumphs and Nortons. Just grew up wishing I had enough to buy something on two wheels. Been riding on two wheels close too 50 years now. At the moment own three Harley's car is in the wife's name don't like being caged-in. BTW while you were at Colorado Springs was that Fort Carson? If so do they still have the RECONDO Training Center? I completed it back in the late sixties.:Cartoon_397:

Been riding motorcycles upwards of 40 years, started out with a KZ400 in the 70's then to a Suzuki GS750, coupe years later to a GoldWing, got it all dressed in Vetter gear, rode it then had to sell it to pay for going back to school. Few years later I met a great lady and was lucky enough that she married me, back on a bike a CB 750K, kids came bike didn't seem to hold as an important part so I would borrow buddies bikes for the odd ride. Fast forward a number of years and our kids are now grown up and it is time to get back with the bikes. Found a real nice 96 Yamaha Virago, but funny enough I forgot that I had gorwn out a bit and it wasn't comfortable for the two of us to go for a ride. I found and 86 Venture around the corner from us for sale brought it home and like Bob found a group called Venturers and then found this crazy bunch of wonderful folks at Venturerider. Got some help getting the 86 going and running great, then came upon the dream bike a 02 RSV Midnight, it was love at first site, I bought that beauty and still love that bike. The bike fleet has grown, as well as the RSV we also have a 2013 Ural Gear Up and a 84 XJ750R that we brought back to life and our daughter rides it.

I don't know what I would call myself, other then someone that loves to ride and I find that most folks we have met along the way during our rides have been real decent people many who I would class as friends.

For me my bikes are a way to forget about the crap we go through during the day trying to put some food on the table, I get on any of the bikes and it for me is therapy. Now when I take the Ural out and I have my 4 legged tail wagging buddy it is therapy and the world slows down so much as we seem to spend more time talking to folks then moving.

I just love riding and motorcycles in general, doesn't matter the brand the style or the size. I just love being on the road and pointing the front tire and having it bring me a new adventure or friend along the way.

Mike

I don't really care as long as I get to ride.

Where at in the Virginia mountains were you riding? I lived in Southwest Va till I joined the Navy.

I have been riding for 47 years and I think I have been through every stage.

It was Draper Valley, long before there was a golf club! Right close to Pulaski. My mom's family owned most of the mountain back then.

It was Draper Valley, long before there was a golf club! Right close to Pulaski. My mom's family owned most of the mountain back then.

Lived in Draper till 4th grade, still Mr. Wendals service station. I went to Draper elementary school from 71 to 74 before moving to Chihowie.

Edited by etcswjoe

Draper is bit down the road from Draper valley but still of my summer time, boyhood stomping grounds. Many a lazy afternoon spent sitting on the front stoop of Joe Bryce's country store telling lies and flipping bottle caps into the parking lot.

Later on in my teenage years I moved on to a beer or two while shooting pool at Smoke Joe's Place. The old man would never let us have more than 2 and never let us leave until he was sure we weren't going to ride our "motorbikes" into a tree!

I haven't been back in quite a while. My favorite cousin, Tommy Tate passed recently and I just can't bring myself to go back knowing he's not there anymore. Silly, I know. His kids and grand kids are still there and I was just as close to them as him.

Edited by luvmy40

• 1 year later...

Yes, we are a dying breed.

I'm just a fat guy on a bike. I'm either in my shorts or I'm wearing my scrubs. It just blows everyone's mind at work when they find out I'm on this MASSIVE cruiser.

What really blows people's minds is when they see the Antique plate on the bike! And, it gives people something to look at as I blow their doors off.

I met my wife on a bike so she doesn't say anything about my motorcycle addiction. Sadly, she can't ride with me anymore because she's got a battery pack in her hiney and it causes her a LOT of pain to be sitting on a bike seat.

You know, I don't want to die on a bike. I'm out on I-10 and I'm either running with traffic or leaving it behind. In my youth I had a 650 that I learned on, but I quickly found out that I needing something with more BALLS to get the HELL out of traffic or go the places I wanted to go (interstate). I've even advised a friend of mine that way and he did the same thing, small 650 then moved to a harley when he 'knew' it was time to change.

I've owned nothing but used Jap bikes. If I won the lottery tonight, I'd be at the local Honda dealer getting a new bike (((GOLDWING))) before I'd have a hog. I'm not interested in having a bike that likes to breakdown every time you touch it. Jap bikes have more power, faster, and by goodness they just are more reliable.

But yes, we are a dying breed. But that's ok. People make their choices. And my choice is to put a bike between my legs and twist the throttle until I forget about everything and start enjoying the wind.

Me? I am a BIKER damn the connotations that some recent movies and media attached to the term. I've been riding since I was 8 years old. I appreciate dirt bikes cruisers tourers boulevard bikes and Crotch rockets, I own a RSV now, but i've owned them all over theist 50 years. I ride wet i ride cold i ride hot I ride in traffic I ride in the country I want to tour the US when I retire from my bike. My old man rode and indian back in chelate 40's and after he lost an arm he had it rigged for all left hand controls and rode some more. My little brother both are bikers.

What i don't appreciate are POSERS (yes like in the movie wild hogs) Guys who drop 20 to 30 grand and ride two weekends a year and trailer their bike to daytona and sit at bar all weekend and claim to be bikers!!

Now the married guy with 3 kids that has no time right now so the bike is in the garage gathering dust, him I understand i've been there. He'll join us one day don't you worry about that.

The guy who doesn't ride as much due to health or wife issues, hi I understand been there done that bought the tee shirt!!

"POSERS!"

Heheheh... every time we see THAT word, up pops an instant flashback to the LAST time we went to the popular Northern 'Bike Week' (in Lake George, NY?) to check out the Market Place, and investigate custom seats for our then current Ride... a Honda Shadow we think - too many bikes? Nah, never have enough!

Bike Week was unbelievably crowded, so we hiked it back to Lake Placid (not that far, and a lot less crowded) for The Night. Got a nice 'middle-level' motel room, then booted down to Main Street to see whuttup.

WHOOOF! With apologies to Forum Members in the Professional ranks, who are NOT in the 'P' Category, we round the corner, and come face-to-face with hundreds and hundreds of Guys 'n Bikes lined cheek-to-cheek. On a sweltering Summer Evening, virtually every single Guy was wearing full dress Leathers, boots, head Bandanas, etc. You could easily determine most were Day-time 'Suits', and probably few ever did a l.d. ride. It was pretty disgusting, and we didn't stay long.

Hope they had a good time.

One of very few less-than-happy rides in nearly 60 years on two wheels.

Rgds, WRIDR