IGNORED

Stuck gas cap

Just picked up another project. A 2002 Midnight venture. Been sitting in shed for about 6 years.

Can not remove the gas cap. I only received one key for the bike and it does work the ignition switch but not the gas cap or the bag locks either. It does go into the gas cap and only turns about 1/8 or less to the right. I have tried wiggling the key and the gas cap but have had no luck. I believe the latch mechanism is rusted. I removed the petcock ( completely plugged) and removed the remaining gas and got about a 1/2 cup of black residue. I have sprayed the key opening with BT blaster and I have currently turned the tank over and poured in about 3/4 quart of ATF to try to break it free. It has been soaking about 36 hours and no affect except some AFT coming through the cap.

Looking for other suggestions?

Does the ignition key also open the cap or is it normally another key?

On my RSTD same key does ignition, bags & fuel cap.

On mine the key only turns about 1/8th of a turn clockwise & then the cap springs loose. One solid locator lug at 12 o'clock & two spring loaded latches at 9 o'clock & 3 o'clock.

This a bit of a long shot, but sometimes when folks have to replace the ignition and do not have the new ignition switch re-keyed to fit the rest of the bike, they will have a locksmith cut the key with the ignition profile on one side and the gas cap/bags profile on the other side. So try removing the key from the gas cap and turn it 180 degrees to see if the that is what was done.

Otherwise it is probably going to require a locksmith to make a new key if the bags / cap are different from the ignition, but one key should work all locks.

Yeah, I've got my key cut that way, give it a try.

Also, if I remember correctly, there has been a problem, in the past, with the screws on the bottom of the gas cap coming loose and causing problems opening the gas cap. If you do get it out check those screws and you might want to take those screws out and put some loc-tite on them and then tighten them down.

Maybe clean the tank and put a bottle of Naval Jelly or similar product in the tank and let it sit for a while. It's supposed to remove rust. Just a thought. I have never done this. There are videos on the internet where they drill a hole to allow the removal. Don't remember all the details.

Perhaps the gas cap has been replaced and there's another key which you didn't get???

The OP noted the key does not open the gas cap or bag locks, so my guess is the ignition failed and was replaced with out being re-keyed to match the rest of the bike.

The OP noted the key does not open the gas cap or bag locks, so my guess is the ignition failed and was replaced with out being re-keyed to match the rest of the bike.

Yeah I missed the bag locks thing.. My reading comprehension sucks lately... :-)

Yeah, I'm pretty sure at this point the ignition switch was replaced and they didn't give me the key for the gas tank and bags. So looks like I'll be seeing my local locksmith in the near future.

Thanks for the responses.

I don't know if it works the same for bikes, but with a car you can take the VIN to the dealer along with proof of ownership and they can cut you a new key that will match what was originally on the car. That original should fit the tank and bags. Once you have working keys you can either live with it or look into getting it rekeyed so they are all the same or having a dual key made.

+1 to FlyingFool's suggestion.

Look at the two bolts holding on the ignition switch. If they have a standard hexkey head on them, it is a replacement. The original switch has tamperproof heads on the bolts.

If you got a box of parts with this bike, look for the old ignition switch. It has a code on the bottom that will provide a dealer with the key code.

Another thought, take a detailed look around the bike for an extra key. Taped under the seat, electrical taped to the frame, ziptied under the trunk, etc. There might be one there.

RR

Edited by RedRider

On a whim, look thru the bags and trunk and see if maybe there is a key floating around in there, maybe under the carpet. Mine you had to push down on cap when you unlocked it to get it to actually unlock and let the catches disengage.