IGNORED

Very close call today

Venturous Randy

This afternoon in my Miata, while crossing a five lane, I just about got it. I was on a two lane that at the intersection it widens to three lanes where the left lane is the on coming traffic, the center is left turn and the right is straight and right turn. When I came to the light, I was first in line with a 350Z behind me. The way the lights work is on each side, the two lane lights work opposite. One side is on with a turning light then all goes to red then the other side comes on with a turning light, then the five lane lights work.

When my light turned green, I proceeded into the intersection and heard a loud horn and then an SUV went screaming inches behind me and in front of the 350Z. I even looked up and could still see the light above me was green. About 500 feet up the road there was a wide pulloff and I pulled over and the 350Z pulled in beside me. I asked him what the hell just happened and did I run a red light. He told me that not only did I not run a red light, but was a little slow on getting started. He said if I had cut a close light, he would been right behind me and he would probably got t-boned.

So, we both had a lucky day. I almost did a U-turn in the middle of the road, but the SUV was booking it.

Randy

Not only am I glad you are here, but glad you had a witness. Those intersections scare me. I'm a lot younger than many of y'all and I'm almost at the point I want to turn in my keys. Seen too many accidents over distractions.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

So a young man is teaching a friend to drive. He pulls up to an intersection with a red light. he hits the gas and blows the light. His friend is white knuckled and says oh my gawd. The driver replies No worries my brother taught me that. At the next intersection he once again hits the gas at the remand blows through the light, and repeats my brother taught me that. As they roll up to the third light it is green. the man hits the brakes hard and skids sideways stopping just short of the crosswalk. His friend is perplexed and says 'Why did you stop?" to which he replied "my brother might be coming the other way!!"

Funny but so true, here in FL we have "Snowbirds" from all over the northern tier, Canada, Ohio Montana Michigan New England, that live here part time. As each of those areas has their own little idiosyncrasies that don't work here. It seems they don't bother with any traffic rules. Speed limits are a vague suggestion, The big red octagons just block the scenery, turn lanes are to get people out of their way, and aisles or lanes in parking lots only apply if you have a FLORIDA tag other wise its drive where you want!

I hate to show a bit of prejudgment or bias, but in my humble opinion young women in big SUVS are the worst!! They drive these 2 1/2 ton behemoths like its the Toyota Cressida they learned on 10 or 12 years ago! Followed closely by older men in little SUVs or Crossovers that think that they are great drivers, because for the past 50 years they haven't driven over 25mph due to road condition most of the year up north.

Glad you are able to tell this story Randy. My own accident last summer on my VR was caused by somebody making an illegal turn, and like you, I am lucky that the damage was not much worse. If I had been only a few feet further into the intersection, I probably would not be posting today. Each year I ride, I am more concerned about bad drivers on the road.

I agree the drivers in FL are the worst. But, it seemed to me around Miami it was the young guys driving as if they were on a race track and other parts of FL the senile retirees driving around almost totally oblivious to what was going on around them.

This is probably the biggest reason it has been two years since I have been on my Venture. There was some thought about trikeing the 96 Goldwing I have, but with the cost, I added one more wheel and got a Miata. It is still very vulnerable to people not paying attention to what they are doing, but a Miata is also good at dodging problems too.

Randy

Strange roads we seem to be traveling these days.. Tip n I are on Tweeks,, coming home from playing with Birdy (my nickname for my lil buddy) - our grandson.. Cruising along on the Interstate that connects North Muskegon with Muskegon - older guy in a pretty cool 70 SSNova comes over two lanes and starts directly into the lane that we occupy right beside him - window down, arm on window ledge.. He crossed over the line, I tapped the horns that Carbon One had installed on this one (WOW are they loud) while they were right beside his door.. Guy jumps and jerks the car back into his lane but immediately comes right back over like the roadway is his, honked again and he just kept coming this time.. No arquing with this one,, tap the front brake and surrendered our spot to this killer.. Giving him lots of room, about two semi trucks worth of space, I pulled two lanes over to his right and within seconds Tweeks had a good 1/4 mile of clearance with the drunk way behind,, gosh I do LOVE that motor.. Got into town at a stop light, looked back and here he comes - doing the best he can to keep er between the lines BUT coming up behind US.. No cars coming at red light, pulled into the turn lane around waiting cars and headed out leaving the cages to deal with Billy Crash Craddock coming behind em.. Fact is,, when it comes to drunks, texters and others lookin to due bikers great bodily harm - I do my best to not give em a chance.. Even a win in court cause it was their fault is a TOTAL loss for the person on two wheels..

Pleased you were able to avoid him Puc! What's wrong with these clowns? Too many frickin idiots out there! I hope one day they all get what's coming to them courtesy of a baseball bat! (Did I say that out loud?)

Was meeting with friends tonight to go for a ride, & have a picnic by a local lake, but one of them had to cry off. He was unfortunately taken out earlier today by one of these maniacs, driving like a dipstick, forcing his way in & then taking off once he'd caused mayhem.

Thankfully our friend is OK, he's obviously very upset & his pride is dented, but his beautiful Limited Millennium Edition Venture that he's only had for a month or two was quite badly damaged.

So instead of going to the lake (there'd only be mosquitoes there anyway!) we rode to his house to offer a little moral support to him & his wife & we had our picnic on his deck.

Where are the boys in blue when you really need them huh?

I tell you I have the Bad boy on my bike and the Heaur Horn on the other side and so many times it has been a life savor for Tinker or for me. I have gotten a few middle fingers and one road rager because I interupted there phone call that was so important that they almost crashed into me. Or someone just not knowing how to drive and almost backing out in front of me. One blast of those horns sent him into drive gear and spinning tires and almost crashed into building then I hear yelling and cussing. What do you do. I like my horns and my lights I put on pulse, Of course those have gotten people to actually pull off the road or stop at green lights..... I really don't know why they are bright white they dont flash back and forth like cop cars or are they red and blue..... owell I just want to be heard and seen is all they don't like I guess owell! When I bought the bike I knew I would have to drive for everyone else and myself course this is things you learn back when you were properly taught how to drive. The school systems now days don't even have drivers ed courses anymore. They do have simulators for texting and driving and drinking and driving. But alot of good that does the kids go home that day looking down at there phones totally oblivious to there surroundings.:confused07::doh:

The school systems now days don't even have drivers ed courses anymore. They do have simulators for texting and driving and drinking and driving. But alot of good that does the kids go home that day looking down at there phones totally oblivious to there surroundings.:confused07::doh:

No but every damn school including elementary now teaches kids how to use condoms!

Not only that but some schools teach "alternate sexual lifestyles" as being normal and acceptable...
Now that isn't right I would hotline that school in a heartbeat they can hotline parents with bogus reports.

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

We are all fair game to anyone who is using a cell phone while driving. Until the time that they make them unusable while driving. I give the next generations zero chance of survival if the grid goes down for any lengthy amount of time. They have become the generation of knowing everything but doing nothing in my mind. When you take away their phones they are vegetables. Unable to buy anything because they carry no hard currency and unable to interact with someone right in front of them. Lord help us all. Stay safe.

Lol my oldest thinks Its the end of the world when he don't have his electronics.... The other day in Canada I believe this women marked undetermined on her child's birth certificate... Still waiting for the trumpet.... Or is trump the trumpet as I seen on history channel saying the bible predicted him becoming president. There was even hints of someone being the antichrist now I got a little confused there....

Lol my oldest thinks Its the end of the world when he don't have his electronics.... The other day in Canada I believe this women marked undetermined on her child's birth certificate... Still waiting for the trumpet.... Or is trump the trumpet as I seen on history channel saying the bible predicted him becoming president. There was even hints of someone being the antichrist now I got a little confused there....

I truly think that many younger people today as has been said would find it very difficult to function without electronics (phone, iPad etc) Hell how many of them can do a simple sum without pulling out the phone. Yes these things can be extremely useful but what happens when you don't have them or they fail? They are useful tools but it appears to me that too many have become slaves to them, constantly checking them for "something" what on earth can be so all fire important? There's quite a ;large fine here but still I see daily lots of people surreptitiously checking their phones while driving. Why? I just don't get it!

The lady you referred to refused to state "male" or "female" on the child's birth cert. indicating that it would be up to the child to choose & not be labelled at birth as one or the other. Sheesh! FFS! But it appears she may be giving the child even more "problems" down the road, as certain Gov't institutions also require to know whether you are male or female. Passports, Driving Licence, Gun Licence & most if not all "benefit" agencies.

For sure the loony left are taking over.

I read somewhere recently how a friend said to another "You used to be Liberal (Democrat), now you're Conservative (Republican), why?"

The reply was "I got a dose of life!"

Edited by Kretz