IGNORED

Anemic??

gibvel

Was looking around for information on the Stratoliner and popped into one forum where one guy seemed to have a vendetta against the V4. Called it anemic and was wanting for Yamaha to do just what they did with the new Venture.

Do you consider the V4 anemic? :confused07:

Personally I just don't think this idiot knew how to drive the V4. :banana:

There are a number of words that come to my mind when I think of the V4, anemic certainly isn't one of those words.

In my mind, the V4 on the Venture/RSTD perfectly blends the smooth with the rough. I like a smooth running motor. The potato potato potato thing that comes with most VTwins is not greatly appealing to me. It kinda intrigues me, but not to the point of a smoothly balanced 4 or 6 cylinder. The Yammy V4 balances both of those worlds. It has a lope at idle and slow speeds that's pretty cool, but becomes smooth and revy as you work your way up through the power band. I love that characteristic of the motor.

Some people (such as the idiot you ran across on that forum) don't/can't understand how to ride the V4 and put it in the correct power band range so as to get the most performance out of it. These people are low torque junkies, that think the whole world of motorcycling revolves around big twin low torque powerplants. They are usually the folks you get stuck behind on a great motorcycle road, while they putt putt putt at a nice easy pace around curves that you would love to be able to stretch the legs out on your V4. Drives me crazy!

Was looking around for information on the Stratoliner and popped into one forum where one guy seemed to have a vendetta against the V4. Called it anemic and was wanting for Yamaha to do just what they did with the new Venture.

Do you consider the V4 anemic? :confused07:

Personally I just don't think this idiot knew how to drive the V4. :banana:

He may have ridden one only hitting on 3 cyl or in a gross state of mistune and now carries this vendetta with the burning passion of 1000 suns. As we all know when the V4 is dialed in and doing it's job it will gobble up any full size twin cyl bike I'm aware of. My gen1 Vmax is downright frightening and has only exhaust, intake, COPs and carefully jetted/tuned. It could also be that he was looking for the monster torque of an oversquare engine, such as a big twin, the V4 comes into it's own from about 3500 upwards, and for many of the twin bikes your mostly through your rev range by 3500. I would +1 to your theory, the right tool in the wrong hands. :happy34:

In my book all vehicles are anemic, since the vehicle with enough power has never yet been built.....:bikersmilie:

I had a plan Jeff. :backinmyday: Sneak in when the Shuttle went up with a saddle and strap it to the nose!! Might take along a cute....:innocent-emoticon: Then they had to park it!!!!:bang head::bang head::bang head::mugshot:

Tweeks,, our anemic 1st Gen, may very well be such BUT - she can break every speed law in the country while fully loaded and carrying 2 people on her back AND,, do it all day long in 3RD GEAR (leaving the ol girl with 2 to spare).. Matter of fact,, that anemic old scoot almost earned a big one out in California for doing 68 mph (thats 109 kp's for you Kanucks) in a 50 mph zone and she was coasting down hill with her motor off... :big-grin-emoticon:

Her ears like to fold back just before she takes off to gobble up those big twins out there with her tiny 74 inch motor,, makes me wonder how she is gonna act around her first run in with one of these new 119 inch tourers :missingtooth: Last night I thought I heard her and Maggie the tiny 60 inch motored R1 out in the garage plottin something - could be some interesting days coming while out CTFW!!:stirthepot::stirthepot::bikersmilie::7_2_104[1]::checkeredflag::banana:

DSCN4978.JPG

Tweeks,, our anemic 1st Gen, may very well be such BUT - she can break every speed law in the country while fully loaded and carrying 2 people on her back AND,, do it all day long in 3RD GEAR (leaving the ol girl with 2 to spare).. Matter of fact,, that anemic old scoot almost earned a big one out in California for doing 68 mph (thats 109 kp's for you Kanucks) in a 50 mph zone and she was coasting down hill with her motor off... :big-grin-emoticon:

Her ears like to fold back just before she takes off to gobble up those big twins out there with her tiny 74 inch motor,, makes me wonder how she is gonna act around her first run in with one of these new 119 inch tourers :missingtooth: Last night I thought I heard her and Maggie the tiny 60 inch motored R1 out in the garage plottin something - could be some interesting days coming while out CTFW!!:stirthepot::stirthepot::bikersmilie::7_2_104[1]::checkeredflag::banana:

Whoops! Almost got ya! Pleased he didn't, but I thought you weren't supposed to coast with the motor off :whistling: :innocent: you are a scallywag Puc :biker:

Whoops! Almost got ya! Pleased he didn't, but I thought you weren't supposed to coast with the motor off :whistling: :innocent: you are a scallywag Puc :biker:

:big-grin-emoticon: why thank ya Kretzy :big-grin-emoticon:

and being one of those scallywags should help explain why I have such a hard time listening when folks tell me I aint suppose to coast with my motor off - I just go ahead and do anyway :big-grin-emoticon:,,,,, ya know what,, maybe that particular flaw in my charachter is where the really bad egg part adjoins itself to the scallywaggin :missingtooth::mugshot:

Speakn of coastin,, at this time Kings Canyon holds the record for us = 29 miles in 36 minutes!!! I been coaster all my life but that one was WOWZY = AMAZING!! Another really good one is on the Cherokee end of the Blue Ridge Parkway = start up at the visitor center up on the mountain before you get to Cherokee - ya gotta run a stop sign (scallywag) but I tell ya - if traffics light and ya get nailed - you can coast a longgggggg ways there... Jerome Az is another....

Hey ya lop eared pot stirring varmint - ya got me goin on purpose didnt cha!!:256:

and PS,,, yes,, I got whopped = A LOT - when I was but a young scallywag

:big-grin-emoticon: why thank ya Kretzy :big-grin-emoticon:

and being one of those scallywags should help explain why I have such a hard time listening when folks tell me I aint suppose to coast with my motor off - I just go ahead and do anyway :big-grin-emoticon:,,,,, ya know what,, maybe that particular flaw in my charachter is where the really bad egg part adjoins itself to the scallywaggin :missingtooth::mugshot:

Speakn of coastin,, at this time Kings Canyon holds the record for us = 29 miles in 36 minutes!!! I been coaster all my life but that one was WOWZY = AMAZING!! Another really good one is on the Cherokee end of the Blue Ridge Parkway = start up at the visitor center up on the mountain before you get to Cherokee - ya gotta run a stop sign (scallywag) but I tell ya - if traffics light and ya get nailed - you can coast a longgggggg ways there... Jerome Az is another....

Hey ya lop eared pot stirring varmint - ya got me goin on purpose didnt cha!!:256:

and PS,,, yes,, I got whopped = A LOT - when I was but a young scallywag

Always good to "get ya goin" Puc... Your stories are always so good! See, I now know stuff about Kings Canyon & Blue Ridge Parkway that I didn't know before. Not that I'll ever get there. You're an inspiration to us all, keep on truckin' (or ridin' anyway) & stay safe.:biker: :beer:

btw I got my fair share of whoopins when I was younger too (& everyone of 'em was deserved) but I never believed my Dad at the time when he said to me "this is going to hurt me more than you" (I understand it now being much :backinmyday:older & hopefully :confused07: wiser)

It would be interesting to see if the new Venture can hang with a Gen1 above 60mph?
Seems to me the Yamaharley should be able to smoke a Gen 1 all the up to as fast as you dare to go. More displacement = more hp and more torque (126 ft/lb up to red line) plus an extra overdrive gear.

The V-4 Motus 1700 has 126 ft/lb torque and 180 hp with no heat problems. Too bad Yamaha bailed on the 3G Venture, could have been totally awesome. Perhaps Motus will build the touring bike that should have been.

Seems to me the Yamaharley should be able to smoke a Gen 1 all the up to as fast as you dare to go. More displacement = more hp and more torque (126 ft/lb up to red line) plus an extra overdrive gear.

I think the hp is the same. the Gen I weighs about 180 lbs less. My manual says my 89 weighs 785 curb.

I think the hp is the same. the Gen I weighs about 180 lbs less. My manual says my 89 weighs 785 curb.
But the torque is way more than the Gen 1 and that is your go-power measurement.

Saw a You Tube video with a really old guy on a really old Harley consistently blow away a young guy on a 4 cyl hot rod sport bike in a from stop street drag. The young guy couldn't believe it and came back for a re-try three times.

TORQUE GETS YOU OUT OF THE HOLE!! BUT HORSEPOWER TAKES YOU OVER THE FINISH LINE!!!

What most folks don't realize is that Horsepower is a number that is calculated from the torque value x the movement arm x the rpm divided by a constant.

In other words a 100 FT/LB motor at 50 horsepower is great in a tractor but a 50 FT/lb motor at 100 HP is a rocket ship!

You will be using the formula (RPM * T) / 5252=HP, where RPM is the engine speed, T is the torque, and 5,252 is radians per second.

So as the Horsepower of the V4 is at a higher RPM I'd think it would win at an over 60 pull, Several of the rider videos on you tube have mentioned the Yamaha lacks "Punch" over 60 MPH but then again so do a lot of the bigger v-twins.

Yep, when I was riding my 74hp Kawasaki ZN700 to work when in Florida where a lot of construction was going on, a lot of workers had Harleys which I think had about the same hp but much more torque. Several times I pulled out to pass a slow car and the Harleys pulled out with me and couldn't keep up! I know they would spank me from a stand still but once I got going.........

Sounds to me like the guy prefers an engine you can lug at low RPM. My suggestion to him is put a small diesel in a bike, Nothing lugs like a diesel engine. The only exception is the old Detroit 2 stroke diesel, like the V4 it loves RPM,s.

On another note, I seem to have more of a problem with trying to keep my speed down then I do in getting there. I have occasionally found when getting on the highway and I punch it on the ramp to accelerate to highway speed, I have looked down to see that all though I am in third I have far exceeded the speed limit and haven't even left the ramp yet and have to back off the throttle to smoothly merge with traffic. That to to me is far from Anemic.

If someone can't ride any machine and learn to feel where that machines power curve is than he is not a natural rider.

Edited by saddlebum

So as the Horsepower of the V4 is at a higher RPM I'd think it would win at an over 60 pull, Several of the rider videos on you tube have mentioned the Yamaha lacks "Punch" over 60 MPH but then again so do a lot of the bigger v-twins.
Seems to me the higher RPM engines tend to develop their output at the upper end so they would experience a "punch" once the RPMs get up there. The Yamaharley would be not so likely to have much extra to give a "punch" at the higher RPMs because it is already putting out what it can.

Had a look for the torque specs on the Venture and failed. I know I've seen them but it would seem torque and hp specs are not considered important enough for general distribution. I do remember the Venture does not come close to 126 lbs though.

The only main steam v-twin I have ridden was a loaner 900 Vulcan and that was just putting around town. My 1100 Virago is a v-twin but it is more like half a Venture engine with the same red line but without the water cooling and acts more like the Venture when accelerating. Of course it has only 60 hp so the punch isn't quite as dramatic as the 90 hp Venture but it does have half the weight so that helps. Anyway, the Vulcan seemed to be a little bit peppier than my Virago at town speeds and off the line.