IGNORED

Red low fuel light

No fuse for this. There is a thermistor on the fuel sending unit that controls this. Its a temperature sensitive device. Gas is cold so when the thermistor is covered in gas no light. When gas drops below thermistor it warms up causing your light to come on. Either keep track of your mileage or replace sending unit for gas tank.

Thanks guys. I've been making it fine without it. I don't use the petcock unless I'm removing the tank, but I do use the fuel gage in the dash as well as the odometer. I'll probably just continue without it.

Thanks guys. I've been making it fine without it. I don't use the petcock unless I'm removing the tank, but I do use the fuel gage in the dash as well as the odometer. I'll probably just continue without it.

Same problem with my 05. I'll do the test to confirm the sending unit isn't working for the light side of the unit. If that's the case, I'll do the same...just go without. Maybe someday I'll find a unit cheap enough to make it worth my while to replace it.

In the meantime, I almost always stop for gas before 2 hours is up...as butt doesn't like sitting that long!

>

Makes one wonder why this part would go bad. Not much to it, I gather...

I can see after 20 plus years the gas would destroy the unit, but not after 10 or 12 years.

Wonder if I can simply replace the little thermistor? Probably not more than few bux to buy one.[/color]

Edited by videoarizona
added thought

I honestly didn't know that there was a low fuel light. When I get to a certain low fuel level, my trip meter reading changes from the normal look to something like "F 000", and will start counting the mileage up with that F in front of it.

I guess either mine doesn't work also, or I have never been low enough to trigger the actual light.

Dale.