IGNORED

Rear Shock info

I've developed a process to repair a leaking Second Gen Shock. I completed the process last evening, recharged with shock oil and did an air test at 40psi overnight with no leakage. Put on 125 miles today with no leaks. Seems to ride pretty well. Used 5w shock oil. May experiment with 10w and 15w oil to slow the rebound. Total cost of repair---oring $1.64 + shock oil $2.00= $3.64 plus my time (about an hour). If anyone would like to me to take a shot at repairing their leaker send me a PM.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
well changed mine out today. Took longer to get jack setup under bike than replacing. The lower bushing sure needed lubed. dfitzbiz send me your info will donate shock so you will be able to have a exchange unit.

Thanks Rodney, PM sent!!:thumbsup2: I've put 1500 mile on the first repaired shock with no leaks. 500 miles (to WNY and back) was fully loaded plus and with 2 up. Performed well. Looking forward to perfecting the process and documenting it for the forum. It will be great to have an exchange unit to send to folks with a leaker.

• 5 years later...

Not sure if anyone will be still reading this old post but here goes.  I just purchased an '07 RSV, the rear shock had 0psi so I added 25psi, then it started squeaking really bad with any amount of pressure on the suspension.  Took the air back to 0psi but same thing.  Still rides okay but with 2 up and loaded with luggage needs a bit of help.  There are no leaks.  Is my shock bad?  I'd like to see the $3.64 fix by dfizbiz.  Thanks all.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/15/2022 at 12:50 PM, EArams said:

Not sure if anyone will be still reading this old post but here goes.  I just purchased an '07 RSV, the rear shock had 0psi so I added 25psi, then it started squeaking really bad with any amount of pressure on the suspension.  Took the air back to 0psi but same thing.  Still rides okay but with 2 up and loaded with luggage needs a bit of help.  There are no leaks.  Is my shock bad?  I'd like to see the $3.64 fix by dfizbiz.  Thanks all.

I"ve tagged @dfitzbiz on this post so he will see it.  Not sure that his problem is the solution though.  You say there are no leaks but there would be if it was the same issues as his corrects.  That being said, you mention that you just bought the bike.  It is possible that all the oil had already leaked out and the bike had been cleaned at some point.