IGNORED

Problem with Barnett Clutch Spring Installation

In neutral, cover off, old gasket removed

Placed assembly, trying to torque bolts. Wrench set to 35 in lbs. when I turn wrench clutch assembly turns before I reach 35 in lbs. How do I hold it in place while torqueing?

I intend to sneack up on the designed 70 in lb by torquign 35, then 50, then 70.

Do I need anything on gasket? shellac or similar, or is it placed dry?

They make a tool to hold it but I just put the transmission in 5th gear and have a helper hold down the brake pedal. I do them on a lift where they can't go anywhere though, you want to make sure it doesn't roll off the stand.

You don't need anything on the gasket.

They make a tool to hold it but I just put the transmission in 5th gear and have a helper hold down the brake pedal. I do them on a lift where they can't go anywhere though, you want to make sure it doesn't roll off the stand.

You don't need anything on the gasket.

Thanks for the reply. I may have created a new problem. With the disassembly complete how do I get it into gear? the clutch lever doesn't want to pull in and in don't thing the shift lever is moving anything.

Seems I need more help than I thought. How can I get back to a known state to retry?

You don't need the clutch to shift it. You might need a helper though. The problem you're having is in many cases the transmission won't shift unless things are turning.

One of you turn the clutch basket by hand while the other shifts up into 2nd (it doesn't matter which way you turn it). Now the transmission is in gear and you won't be able to turn the clutch basket but you can rock it back and forth. Rock it back and forth to aide shifting into gears 3-5.

More progress made. I got the clutch lever back in place, I think, by taking the pressure plate back off, loosening the bleed screw and pressing the push rods back to start position.

Dry shifted into gear without clutch.

Retightened the bleed, installed the Barnett plate and torqued.

Now the clutch appears to move normally.

I attempted to reassemble the cover, but the dealer sold me the wrong gasket. They're overnighting me the correct one.

Right now I have a plastic bag covering the clutch assembly to prevent stuff from getting into the mech.

More to follow when I get the gasket and cover back on and test it.

Thanks for the help.

Gasket came in, completed the reassembly and test run. There's no more slip anywhere, not even 2 up with the trailer.

Never would have had the nerve to try this without the write-ups here. Thanks all.