IGNORED

Regulator rectifier issues

I know there is a million threads on this. I am looking for some clarification. My 83 was not charging anymore than 12.9 at 4000. Put a regulator on it and found the one I took off was some random one cobbled on there. Fired up bike. Charging as it should. Road test I was around 14 volts. Put 50 or so miles on and it stopped charging. Checked stator output. Almost no vac and only 20 vacation on one leg at 4000 rpm. All 3 legs were shorted to ground. Replaced stator with a Rick's oem stator. Started bike 14.2 at idle 16 + volts at 2500 rpm. The voltage keeps increasing expentialy as rpm increases . Could the regulator be bad now? It may only have 100 miles of use on it max. Thanks for your time

Edited by Venturelowrider

Sure sounds like your R/R is not regulating or is regulating at a higher level. Don't operate it at these stated conditions as you will fry your battery with too much voltage. I used to have a spare one, I will check tomorrow if I still have it. It does not have the connector on it anymore, but you are welcome to it if I still have it! R/R's for 1st gens normally do not fail, unlike 2nd gen ones...

Sorry, my friend, but I could not find it, so here's some on ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Regulators/177955/i.html?_fsrp=1&Brand=Yamaha&MMake=Yamaha&MModel=Venture%20Royale&mvsub=1&_mcatda=true

OK For some reason the filters aren't working with the link, so what you do is select "Yamaha" for the brand on the left column, then select from the drop-down menus on the top Make = Yamaha, model = Venture, and don't worry about the year, and hit "update results." It should filter it down to 53 results. Any 1st gen MK1 R/R from '83 to '85 will work and are all the same.

I see one for $20 including shipping! With used ones for 1st Gen Venture, they rarely fail, so chances are any you buy will be good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-84-Yamaha-Xvz1200-Venture-Rectifier-Voltage-Regulator-/122533944171?hash=item1c87979b6b:g:bfMAAOSwrhBZNVxr&vxp=mtr

Just look at the picture of any of these to make sure the plug matches up with what you already have on the bike.

One thing to check is if you have a good ground going to the regulator because the regulator shunts the excess electricity to ground, and if you have a bad ground it can't get rid of the excess electricity so it may give you the results you are seeing...

Edited by bongobobny

Thanks for the information. I'm going to call the company I bought it from and try to exchange it for another one. I bought the one on ebay as a test one or spare. They are Fairly cheap.. Is there a certain ground the regulator uses? How many grounds does this bike have? I'm not sure where to look and check. Thanks for all your help. I do appreciate it

On the plug, you should see at least one or possibly two black wires. Using an ohmmeter, check for zero ohms to the chassis. To answer your question about grounds on the bike, there are several coming out of the main harness, black wires with eye loop connectors, and are hidden...