IGNORED

Anyone noticed?

camos

"Making a kill shot at 2.5 miles is just plain luck. The only skill required is pointing the gun in the general direction and have a bushel basket full of ammo."........that's almost offensive, considering the training that these people put in and the skill set that they have. That's like saying it was just luck that that biker was able to avoid that deer, or that collision....what happened to the years of riding, the experience gained, perhaps the riding courses taken to get that degree of skill.

While you may not believe the story, let's not smear those skilled people that put the lives on the line.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Talk about :stirthepot:... :happy65:(but Na!.... they wouldn't do that!)

No offense to my friends here....but Hollywood over does so many things..."based on a true story"... and it's ra ra this and ra ra that.... and the next thing you know the sniper killed 10 people at 5km with one bullet. Lots of explosions, maybe an alien or two....and of course the nationality of the "hero" is changed.

And by the way....The following (and many many more) are all from Canada (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_inventions) :

- basketball originated in Canada

- The Superman character was co-created by Canadian artist Joseph Shuster.

- the telephone was created in Canada with the first call made between Brantford Ontario and Paris Ontario

- in the Lone Ranger tv series years ago, Tonto was born on the 6th Nations reserve near Brantford Ontario

- Walkie Talkie

- Amplitude modulation

- Canola

- Standard Time

- Cesium Beam atomic clock

- the pager and Blackberry

- hydrofoil boat

- first commercial jetliner design

- snowmobile

- snow shoes

- variable-pitch propeller

- electric wheel chair

- prostetic hand

- snow blower and rotary snow plow for rail roads

- military gas mask

- sonar

- G-suit

- lacrosse

- ice hockey (of course) - followed by the hard jock strap and the goalie mask (not sure which one was first)

- instant replays

- five pin bowling

- Trivial Persuit

- Pablum

- Easy Off oven cleaner

- garbage bags

- Caesar cocktail

- cardiac pacemaker

- alkaline battery

- caulking gun

- egg carton

- electric oven

- paint rollers

- Robertson screw driver

- Collerete ladder (fire fighting)

- Canadarm

- maple syrup

- ginger ale

- news print

- electron microscope

...and our contributions to music - Celine Dione, Neil Young, Rush, Guy Lombardo, Hank Snow, Paul Anka, The Guess Who, Bruce Cockburn, Anne Murray, Bachman Turner Overdrive, - I'll link rather than list - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_of_Canada, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_music_of_Canada

... and to Hollywood - Ryan Gosling, Rachel McAdams, Jim Carrey, James Cameron, Donald Sutherland, Keanu Reeves, Mike Meyers, Kim Cattral, William Shatner, Dan Akroyd, Michael J. Fox, Martin Short, Pamela Anderson, John Candy, Rich Little, Mary Pickford......

On July 1st....Canada celebrates our 150th anniversary as an independent nation. Join us in a toast !

Oh....and did I also mention....the record for the longest kill by a sniper? CANADIAN !!!!!

Edited by XV1100SE

Guest divey
No offense to my friends here....but Hollywood over does so many things..."based on a true story"... and it's ra ra this and ra ra that.... and the next thing you know the sniper killed 10 people at 5km with one bullet. Lots of explosions, maybe an alien or two....and of course the nationality of the "hero" is changed.

And by the way....The following (and many many more) are all from Canada (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_inventions) :

- basketball originated in Canada

- The Superman character was co-created by Canadian artist Joseph Shuster.

- the telephone was created in Canada with the first call made between Brantford Ontario and Paris Ontario

- in the Lone Ranger tv series years ago, Tonto was born on the 6th Nations reserve near Brantford Ontario

- Walkie Talkie

- Amplitude modulation

- Canola

- Standard Time

- Cesium Beam atomic clock

- the pager and Blackberry

- hydrofoil boat

- first commercial jetliner design

- snowmobile

- snow shoes

- variable-pitch propeller

- electric wheel chair

- prostetic hand

- snow blower and rotary snow plow for rail roads

- military gas mask

- sonar

- G-suit

- lacrosse

- ice hockey (of course) - followed by the hard jock strap and the goalie mask (not sure which one was first)

- instant replays

- five pin bowling

- Trivial Persuit

- Pablum

- Easy Off oven cleaner

- garbage bags

- Caesar cocktail

- cardiac pacemaker

- alkaline battery

- caulking gun

- egg carton

- electric oven

- paint rollers

- Robertson screw driver

- Collerete ladder (fire fighting)

- Canadarm

- maple syrup

- ginger ale

- news print

- electron microscope

...and our contributions to music - Celine Dione - I'll link rather than list - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_of_Canada

... and to Hollywood - Ryan Gosling, Rachel McAdams, Jim Carrey, James Cameron, Donald Sutherland, Keanu Reeves, Mike Meyers, Kim Cattral, William Shatner, Dan Akroyd, Michael J. Fox, Martin Short, Pamela Anderson, John Candy.............

On July 1st....Canada celebrates our 150th anniversary as an independent nation. Join us in a toast !

Oh....and did I also mention....the record for the longest kill by a sniper? CANADIAN !!!!!

Both of our great countries have many firsts and accomplishments that we're proud of. I fail to see the need to smear it in the others face. As the saying goes "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear ignorant than to open it and remove all doubt." Doug

Both of our great countries have many firsts and accomplishments that we're proud of. I fail to see the need to smear it in the others face....

Not smearing it in anyone's faces. Just a reminder to people of things that came from Canada that most people forget (even Canadians). Without a doubt, America, Britain, France, and all the countries have contributed to the world in areas of science, mathematics, the Arts, inventions, music..... Just mentioning some of the common everyday things that people don't know came from Canada....things that even Canadians aren't aware of.

"Making a kill shot at 2.5 miles is just plain luck. The only skill required is pointing the gun in the general direction and have a bushel basket full of ammo."........that's almost offensive, considering the training that these people put in and the skill set that they have. That's like saying it was just luck that that biker was able to avoid that deer, or that collision....what happened to the years of riding, the experience gained, perhaps the riding courses taken to get that degree of skill.

While you may not believe the story, let's not smear those skilled people that put the lives on the line.

I think I already alluded to the skill of these marksman, but if what your saying is true they'd be training a 2+ miles... Why don't they? 'Cause it's luck and a waste of ammo. Every round of 50BMG runs around 8-9 bucks. Custom loads are insane...

There's no question some luck comes into play but let's be realistic here.......there's a lot more to making that shot then just "pointing the gun in the general direction and have a bushel basket full of ammo". Those types of comments are without merit. Might as well say there's nothing more to safely riding a motorcycle then to sit on it a twist the throttle.

Let's give credit where it's do.....that sniper deserves all the glory he...or she got.

I have some videos of Canadian Snipers making some long range kills on my old computer. I'll see if I can find them and load them for all to see.

Not sure anyone wants "proof"

Those that don't believe or think that there is no skill & that it's all down to blind luck, are not going to change their minds, no matter what proof is put before them. People who don't believe will simply say the videos (or whatever other proof is supplied) are faked or altered.

In addition I just saw that for the first time ever a Canadian Infantry Soldier is commanding the "Royal Guard" (Queen's Guard) in the UK. The Royal Guard is charged with protecting the Sovereign & their Palaces. Oh! the Infantry Soldier also happens to be a woman! Go Canada!

not the first time a woman has commanded the Royal Guard but it is the first time an infantry soldier has

(but maybe that false news or it never happened either! LOL)

Edited by Kretz

There's no question some luck comes into play but let's be realistic here.......there's a lot more to making that shot then just "pointing the gun in the general direction and have a bushel basket full of ammo". Those types of comments are without merit. Might as well say there's nothing more to safely riding a motorcycle then to sit on it a twist the throttle.

Let's give credit where it's do.....that sniper deserves all the glory he...or she got.

I don't think anyone here is bashing the skills of a trained military sniper. Where you read that in this thread is a mystery, or you're reading more into a post then is there. I also can't understand why everyone has a problem with the concept of luck, or that because of a snipers skill set luck doesn't come into play?? The skill of a sniper will make him, or her.. let's not forget the gender issue thing...luckier. You go Annie Oakley.. Which brings to mind... Are there any female military snipers?? The one shot..one kill motto doesn't come into play here. As far as kudos for the sniper... you bet. But it's a lot like a highly skilled basketball player sinking a basket from 3/4 court in the last second of the game for the win... Skill?.. You bet.. Luck? Absolutely... :backinmyday:

Hate to play the Devil's advocate here, but..... I don't believe it. At two miles how are they going to confirm the kill, and even if they did recover the body it would take a autopsy to see if the bullet was from his or another rifle?? We have a group of very skilled local shooters that hold long range competition and the longest is 2054 hitting a steel plate 6' in diameter. To hear the strike they have an open mike radio placed near by. I've seen pics of the spent rounds that have hit the plate, and some are barely dented. I seriously doubt there's enough shocking power left to do any damage?? The travel time was in the 11 sec range. With all the variables I guess I'm thinking it takes more luck than skill to make that sort of shot. My 2¢

Still don't believe it..... and it's still luck... I don't care how skillful the guy is... Even a blind squirrel will stumble on an acorn now and then..

No offense intended but I can see why people are "misunderstanding".... Your earlier posts imply (obviously to more than just me) that it's all luck & very little skill... especially with the comment about blind squirrels.... Just sayin'

... But it's a lot like a highly skilled basketball player sinking a basket from 3/4 court in the last second of the game for the win... Skill?.. You bet.. Luck? Absolutely...

Have to agree with you that it is a bit of both...

If the sniper was firing into a crowd and happened to hit someone....doesn't necessarily show skill if from a short distance. Consider 2.2 miles though...have to get the right elevation, consider wind direction to still hit the crowd let alone a single target....more skill required.

Now...same distance, target is a 6' tall person of average weight. Kill zone is less than half of that on the body....so maybe a 2' kill zone on the body (head, upper torso, excluding shoulders, arms)...To make the shot at a stationary target consistently would be skill. To have the bullet travel 11 seconds and anticipating where the target would be when the bullet gets there...intentionally....skill.

Another way to look at it....you are bowling and faced with a 7/10 split (back row corners) and you make it one out of 100 times - luck.

Now say the alley is 2 miles long and you make it with your first shot. Skill. Maybe make it on your second shot and not the first....still skill.

No offense intended but I can see why people are "misunderstanding".... Your earlier posts imply (obviously to more than just me) that it's all luck & very little skill... especially with the comment about blind squirrels.... Just sayin'

There go those reading comprehension skills again... Where did you find the 'ALL' in my first post????

Have to agree with you that it is a bit of both...

If the sniper was firing into a crowd and happened to hit someone....doesn't necessarily show skill if from a short distance. Consider 2.2 miles though...have to get the right elevation, consider wind direction to still hit the crowd let alone a single target....more skill required.

I think my big problem here is a lot of replies to this thread are given my those who haven't shot long range or have any idea just how many uncontrollable variables there are when trying to figure out trajectories at over 1000 yds.... One constant that I failed to bring up in previous posts is gravity. Directly from the Barrett site at 1500 yds a 50 BMG 660 gr bullet will drop 967 inches. That's 80 feet, and it gets worse from there on out. But for enlightenment's sake let's say it drops another 60 feet to 2400 yds.. 80+60=120 feet drop!! That's a lot of elevation to factor in. And that's only part of it.

Now...same distance, target is a 6' tall person of average weight. Kill zone is less than half of that on the body....so maybe a 2' kill zone on the body (head, upper torso, excluding shoulders, arms)...To make the shot at a stationary target consistently would be skill. To have the bullet travel 11 seconds and anticipating where the target would be when the bullet gets there...intentionally....skill.

Another way to look at it....you are bowling and faced with a 7/10 split (back row corners) and you make it one out of 100 times - luck.

Dang!! I've bowled a lot and have never been lucky enough to make a 7-10, or seen one made for that matter... Sigh!! :)

Now say the alley is 2 miles long and you make it with your first shot. Skill. Maybe make it on your second shot and not the first....still skill.

How 'bout on the 4th or 5th ball.... At 2 miles I'd be lucky to keep it on the alley.... :whistling:

One constant that I failed to bring up in previous posts is gravity. Directly from the Barrett site at 1500 yds a 50 BMG 660 gr bullet will drop 967 inches. That's 80 feet, and it gets worse from there on out. But for enlightenment's sake let's say it drops another 60 feet to 2400 yds.. 80+60=120 feet drop!! That's a lot of elevation to factor in. And that's only part of it.
Just to add more "luck" the sniper fired from a rooftop of unspecified height. Well, at least I can't remember how high it was, one, two or three stories.

Just keeps getting more amazing...ly lucky. :smile5: