IGNORED

No brake lights, fuse is good

I just replaced the wiring harness on my 83. I seem to have no brake lights but all my other lights are working. According to the wiring diagram this should mean I have power to the circuit. Any thoughts? The fuses are all good also. Neither brake switch is working.

Edited by tertel
Additional info

Break out the wiring diagram and start testing the circuit to see if you have power anywhere along it. I believe there is a connector under the seat that might be a good place to start. Also make sure the fuse is tight in the holders as they do get loose over time. A lot of us have upgraded to the newer fuse panels.

Good luck.

Rick F.

Along the lines of what cimmer Said.... if your seat is off there is a large plug under the rear seat area on the left side of the bike.this plug takes care of all the rear lighting. I think you are looking for a blue/white or yellow/black(I'm not certain which) to light up with a test light when you press either of the brake levers(with the ignition key on) Then check the corresponding wire on the other side of the plug to see if the power is going through the plug. I had a similar problem where the tail light would intermittently turn on and off when I wiggled the wires going onto this plug. I couldn't get the pins in the plug to tighten up so I cut them both and rejoined them separate from the plug with some spade connectors. Good luck,hope this helps a little

OK, first question, does your Neutral light work?? This is an important question to prove that electricity is getting past the signal fuse. The next thing to look at would be either of the two brake light switches and measure with a voltmeter for 12 volts on the Green/Yellow line with the brakes applied. The G/Y line becomes the yellow line after the brake switches and goes to the CMU. If the switch is passing voltage then your next place to look at will be the CMU but before that find the connector for the tail/brake light assembly. This is a 3 wire connector with a black, blue, and yellow wire coming from the assembly. The other side of the connector has a black, blue and white, and yellow and black wire on it. With the brakes applied look for 12 volts on the yellow wire just to prove that voltage is indeed getting that far, there is a remote possibility that both bulbs have their brake light filaments burnt out...