IGNORED

Does anybody buy these bikes any more?

Huggy

Does any body buy the First Gen Ventures any more? I don't see any up for sale any longer in adds other than in the forum. in Canada on Kijiji you would see a lot of them up for sale, now next to none and you might see one offered now and again.

I use AdHuntr.com to answer questions like this Huggy.. It searches Craigslist alllll over the country.. Here is a quick search I did for you on there just for an example: http://www.adhuntr.com/p/results.html?cx=partner-pub-9413604915893153%3Ao8xsd8d7h7s&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=UTF-8&newwindow=1&q=Yamaha+Venture&as_qdr=a&sa=Search&m=1

I used "Yamaha Venture" in that search and came up with 10 pages of results.. Its always best to try several approaches when searching.. XVZ1200, XVZ1300, yamaha touring bike and on and on.. Not everyone knows these bikes as a Venture,, I am sure you get my point.. Hope this helps!!

PS - IMHO, our Ventures are more in demand now than they were back when they were new - seems like people are FINALLY catching on to how AWESOME of a bike they are/were/can be..

Why would anyone ever want to sell one?

:stickpoke:

RR

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:dancefool::dancefool::dancefool:

Picture this,, Tip and I are on our way to the unveiling of the new Venture.. While headed that way, I am patting our 83 on her tank bag and telling Tip,, "ya know sweetheart, I am not exactly sure why anyone would even want anything more than ol Tweeksis.. You can only legally go so fast,, she is fully capable of 250k plus life time miles, she gets amazing MPG, I can leave the keys in her anywhere we go and dont have to worry about someone taking her, her factory seat is the most comfortable seat ever put on a bike, she comes when I call her and, keeps running even in the worst of rain - PLUS, she sure looks good with her Antelope Horns mounted on her mirrors..:Laugh:

DSCN4290.JPG

Certainly some good looking bikes in Puc's the post above....

Not sure what "generation" these are but have been considering one, collector plates cheap insurance etc So they are out there & these ads are just in one Province :canada:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/nanaimo/yamaha-1986-venture-royale-touring-motorcycle/1271546923?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-touring/vernon/1983-yamaha-venture-royal-reduced/1245657048?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-touring/victoria-bc/83-yamaha-venture-royale/1266454004?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Edited by Kretz

It's not just the 1st Gens, same goes for 2nd Gens.

I bought an '02 Midnight Venture last year, put 2 new tires, new EBC brake pads and flushed all the fluids. It has 47K on the clock and I have had it up for sale for several months now for $3,500.00 and not one call. The bike is mint.

I have it up for sale because I bought an '08 RSV last fall for $4000.00 with under 5K on the clock. The guy I bought it from told me he had it up for sale for months and I was the 1st person to come and look at it.

Before the '02 Midnight Venture, I had an '84 Venture with 28K on the clock that I wound up selling for $1200.00 after several months of advertising on CL.

When I put my last Road Star up for sale, it was gone in 2 weeks, my V-Star1100 was gone in less than a week.

Doesn't make any sense to me why these bikes do not sell. They are so dependable and the rides are amazing.. Seems like everyone is into V-Twins vs V4's. I will take the V4 ride any day over a V-Twin.

I entered " yamaha venture " into kijiji without any filters and searched all of Ontario and there's 15-20 of them in varying condition and prices from $700- $3000 most are in southern Ontario and a few would definitely be worth looking at. I paid $900 for mine last fall and have another $1200 or so in it to make it a solid road worthy bike, it's got lots of small cracks and scrapes but it's a decent 20 foot looker and runs cool and smooth as a top

A lot depends on when and where! 04-09 RSV here in FLA going for between $4 and $6k and they're selling different bikes listed every couple of weeks. the big issue is that everyone wants Fuel Injection. The general motoring public has bought ito the idea that carburetors are evil cause global warming make bikes unridable and cause tooth decay!!

I was amazed at the Stealership a youngish sales guy comes over while i'm looking at a GW, when i mentioned fuel injection, his response was that all bikes are fuel injected and have been for decades, only two strokes had carburetors thats why they smoke!!

So preserve and try multiple listings don't count on craigslist. try cycle trader and local biker publications, take the old bike to a show and shine or two with a sale sign on it when you park. On a warm night go to a local hot spot, put the sales sign and sit for a while have a sandwich watch some ball on TV. Word will get out.

The general motoring public has bought ito the idea that carburetors are evil cause global warming make bikes unridable and cause tooth decay!!

I was amazed at the Stealership a youngish sales guy = ""only two strokes had carburetors thats why they smoke!!""

I heard they were making a comeback, thanks to Guardians of the Galaxy movies.

thx for reminding me that I wanted to see episode II. The first one was a hoot.

By the way, back on topic, I saw a real clean 1st Gen Goldie sitting in front of a house this morning on my way to visit a friend who lives just a couple miles away. I don't recall seeing it around town before. I didn't see anyone around, so I may just drive by again on the weekend and see if the owner is there and say howdy.

Edited by RandyR

Am I right in thinking that any Venture between 1983 & 1993 is a 1st Gen & that anything after 1999 is a 2nd Gen?

Yes, correct.

1st gen bikes took on some changes starting in 86, like bigger luggage, bigger forks, 1300cc and some other misc stuff. So 1st gen is cut into MKI and MKII, 86 being the first year of MKII and said changes. So for example, a blue one 86 or newer is in fact the ultimate Venture! :stirthepot:

Yes, correct.

1st gen bikes took on some changes starting in 86, like bigger luggage, bigger forks, 1300cc and some other misc stuff. So 1st gen is cut into MKI and MKII, 86 being the first year of MKII and said changes. So for example, a blue one 86 or newer is in fact the ultimate Venture! :stirthepot:

Thanks, it was the MkI, MkII thing that was confusing me :doh:

Think I got it now! 1983-85 is a 1st Gen MkI, 1986-93 Is still a 1st Gen but a MkII :biker:

Then later the 2nd Gen comes in which was a complete redesign from the earlier models.

Edited by Kretz
changed '86 to 85 per Snyper 316 post below

Thanks, it was the MkI, MkII thing that was confusing me :doh:

Think I got it now! 1983-86 is a 1st Gen MkI, 1986-93 Is still a 1st Gen but a MkII :biker:

Then later the 2nd Gen comes in which was a complete redesign from the earlier models.

No 83-85 are the mk1 and the baddest bikes ever made....

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

No 83-85 are the mk1 and the baddest bikes ever made....

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

OK thanks! I meant 85. I'll alter that.

Not looking to start a firestorm here, but why do you consider the earlier bikes "better?" (if you do)

If they were "improved" (I know all relative) from the MkI to the MkII with bigger engine, better luggage etc wouldn't the MkII be the one to go for?

I appreciate that owners of a particular model may be loyal to THAT model, but I'm asking the question as a prospective owner, who may be looking for an older cheaper bike soon.

It's all subjective & probably more opinions & answers than "what oil should I use?"

Thanks for any opinions, reasons etc why one would be considered "The bike to look for"

I had an MK1 and a 2nd gen. My wife suggested I thin the herd until after I retire from the military and I sold my 2001. I will never get rid of my MK1. Yamaha messed up big time on that bike. They meant to make a touring bike, but that was before the Star line. All they knew was sport bikes, so they slapped some bags and a trunk on a vicious little (almost 900lbs) street demon.

In 5 years when I retire from the Air Force, I will let you know what I think about MK2s and possibly the 3rd gen. I will probably buy another 2nd gen, and definitely buy a few more MK1s.

I had an MK1 and a 2nd gen. My wife suggested I thin the herd until after I retire from the military and I sold my 2001. I will never get rid of my MK1. Yamaha messed up big time on that bike. They meant to make a touring bike, but that was before the Star line. All they knew was sport bikes, so they slapped some bags and a trunk on a vicious little (almost 900lbs) street demon.

In 5 years when I retire from the Air Force, I will let you know what I think about MK2s and possibly the 3rd gen. I will probably buy another 2nd gen, and definitely buy a few more MK1s.

Wow! Air Force must have a good pension scheme. lol Thank you for your service sir!

That has to be it. I'm shocked by how well this old bulky obese turd handles. It's very easy to get carried away in the twisty roads, it accelerates pretty damn well too. I have yet to ride a 2nd gen but they sure got the 1st gen right on!

I cant take a lot of the corners in the BH at 10-20 over the speed limit without feeling like I'm pushing the envelope at all. Very poised and composed, especially for being as old and big as it is.