IGNORED

2018 Star Venture

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seems like a step backwards to me. V-twin with a belt drive. Why imitate HD? Aren't we past that?

Good looking bike but I wonder why they didn't use a shaft drive.

Cost savings measure to drop the shaft drive and V4 water cooled engine. More money for Yamaha less bike for the customers. That hot Yahama Moma will sell better in the fall anyway marketing strategy.

Well, I've read three of them so far and they all commented on the heat. Apparently, it is going to be an issue for at least some people. One of the articles said that it was hotter than the HD Dresser but not as hot as the Indian. The heat on my Road Glide was about the only thing I really didn't like about it so if the new Venture is hotter than that, it's not a good thing for me. Otherwise, the reviews seem to be very good.

I tell you, the more I see about it the better I like it. I actually like the styling a lot. It has about everything we had on our wish list with the exception of the V4 engine and yes, I know that is a major thing. The only thing though that really concerns me is the heat. My main concern with the heat is my wife's comfort because the heat on her legs and feet on the Road Glide was pretty brutal and from what I'm reading in some of these tests, that is also a problem on this bike.

That being said....uh....I want it. :)

I am having the same kind of feelings for this bike. I was an avid HD man in my youth and forswore "touring" bikes as a wimp's ride. I made many cross country rides on my trusty FXST with no screen, fairing or hard bags and I loved it.

25 years later a wind screen at the least is a must, and the Gen1 style tour package has really taken it's place in my heart.

This new '18 Venture has all the things great about the V-twin bike combined with all the things great about the frame mounted touring packages.

The one thing I remember as being less than stellar with the HD engines was throttle response at highway speeds. Pushing the ton was never an issue but accelerating from 65mph in 4th gear was something you planned and anticipated. Even with a down shift there was no instant acceleration available. That is one of the things I love about the Venture. I get snappy acceleration from 65-95mph and have plenty of throttle left.

It's a moot point for me at this time at any rate as I seem to have a thing for 30+ year old bikes:12101:

We discussed various issues of concern about the bike with them. The weight, heat, Vtwin, belt drive and being like everyone else. They assured me that the proof was in riding this bike and that is why there will be Demo bikes at dealerships all over the country. Being a dealer I put my faith in Yamaha and my 500.00 deposit on the raspberry red. I know Yamaha and the quality, ride and handling will make this bike worth the wait and worth the money. If I am wrong I will post here and tell you. I cannot wait for a dedicated forum for this bike. I have been reading everything I can find on harley, indian and other brand forums. The talk ranges from negative to I cannot wait to ride one. We have taken three deposits and offering early buy pricing with no extra fees. If anyone is interested email but buy local when you can.

We discussed various issues of concern about the bike with them. The weight, heat, Vtwin, belt drive and being like everyone else. They assured me that the proof was in riding this bike and that is why there will be Demo bikes at dealerships all over the country. Being a dealer I put my faith in Yamaha and my 500.00 deposit on the raspberry red. I know Yamaha and the quality, ride and handling will make this bike worth the wait and worth the money. If I am wrong I will post here and tell you. I cannot wait for a dedicated forum for this bike. I have been reading everything I can find on harley, indian and other brand forums. The talk ranges from negative to I cannot wait to ride one. We have taken three deposits and offering early buy pricing with no extra fees. If anyone is interested email but buy local when you can.

Not sure what you mean by "dedicated forum". I created a forum right there with First Gen, Second Gen, etc. a year or two ago. It is ready to go.

I tell you, the more I see about it the better I like it. I actually like the styling a lot. It has about everything we had on our wish list with the exception of the V4 engine and yes, I know that is a major thing. The only thing though that really concerns me is the heat. My main concern with the heat is my wife's comfort because the heat on her legs and feet on the Road Glide was pretty brutal and from what I'm reading in some of these tests, that is also a problem on this bike.

That being said....uh....I want it. :)

I know what you mean!!!

The heat being the number 1 concern, of course this depends on the season. Second is handling the weight at a stop and slow speeds. Throw in what appears to be lackluster MPG and you've got some things to look at and test.

Another is, being used to the absolute speed off the line and being able to drop a gear and quickly pass on the highway. I know a lot of guys, on here, are addicted to that quick speed (gotta say I like it occasionally too). :cool10:

But the more I look at it the more I go from being blah about the looks to really liking them!! But you know, if you dress a turd in sparkles and glitter it's still a turd. ;)

But the more I look at it the more I go from being blah about the looks to really liking them!! But you know, if you dress a turd in sparkles and glitter it's still a turd. ;)

The design looks like a Photoshop merge of a 1st gen and a 2nd gen which is the closest it will ever get to being a Venture because they forgot to put in the important bits.

To me the side scoops are slightly too large and the trunk is a little too pointy, however all considered, I think it is simply gorgeous. Too bad is is about $20,000 beyond my budget or I would have one v-twin and all.

Right there with you on the scoops being too large. Wonder if the design was for function or aesthetics. I wonder if they needed the extra space to cool the oil or something. If it was just aesthetics then they missed the boat with me on the scoops. Don't really mind the trunk though. I think it's got a 50s or 60s era car rear end look to it.

The price is the other rub... it's out of my price range new. Have to wait a few years for the used ones.

The dealership where I buy my stuff is multi-brand. Did Yamaha unwittingly keep the Kawasaki Voyager alive? A Voyager is $16500.00. Kinda hard for Yamaha to justify a $10,000 price difference between the ancient Voyager and the new Venture. $10,000 could really deck out a Voyager that comes with a real 3 year warranty. (Not a 1 year warranty and a 4 year kinda warranty like the Yamaha). Now that the Venture is out Kawasaki may even raise the price on their bike.

kawa.jpg

Rather than buying a new ancient bike like the Kawasaki Voyager, my preference is to stick with the best ancient bike, a Yamaha Venture Royale.

That saves me another $15,600 on top of the $10,000 I didn't spend on the Yamaharley. :mo money:

Rather than buying a new ancient bike like the Kawasaki Voyager, my preference is to stick with the best ancient bike, a Yamaha Venture Royale.

That saves me another $15,600 on top of the $10,000 I didn't spend on the Yamaharley. :mo money:

Yep, nobody has more fun on his bike for less money than Cowpuc and he sticks with the 1st Gen Venture. There's something to learn there I think.

I just saw and sat on 1 of these 2018s at Thunder in the Valley in Johnstown, PA., 2 days ago. I even got to start it up; but no test rides yet. The rep. said that it is only 1 of 3 at this point. The first ones should be available from dealers at the end of August. It did sound nice and has a lower center of gravity. I am not sold on it being a 2 cylinder and being air cooled but he said that in their track record, these engines don't overheat. I didn't research or ask, but I think that this is the same engine that they have been using on of the other RS models, so hopefully they have the bugs worked out of it. I did notice the extra wide rear tire, but it makes sense for keeping traction with the torque that it will put out.

It does have park-assist forward and reverse (which is long overdue), a little more cargo space, and driver's seat backrest adjustment. The heal/toe shifter is an upgrade/option. Still no arm rests for the passenger though. The rear shock is hydraulic (not air) and is adjustable, and the front shocks/forks are not air and not adjustable (without changing springs). And it's back to the fixed fairing as the first gens had.

I seen it also at thunder in the valley,sat on the bike and fired it up it felt perfect for me.I was planning to buy 2018 harley roadglide ultra in April but with the price on the yamaha venture it's a no Brainerd for me.with the harley I would have to spend between 5-6 thousands dollars to get it where the venture is.everyone complains about the weight but the roadglide ultra and Honda goldwing is only 30 pounds lighter.the new venture was built from scratch and took 6 years in the making,the cylinders are off set for better air flow cooling and ceramic lined cylinders to reduce heat.

The dealership where I buy my stuff is multi-brand. Did Yamaha unwittingly keep the Kawasaki Voyager alive? A Voyager is $16500.00. Kinda hard for Yamaha to justify a $10,000 price difference between the ancient Voyager and the new Venture. $10,000 could really deck out a Voyager that comes with a real 3 year warranty. (Not a 1 year warranty and a 4 year kinda warranty like the Yamaha). Now that the Venture is out Kawasaki may even raise the price on their bike.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=109705

The yamaha warranty is 5 years,first year is through yamaha the remaining 4 years is through a 3rd party but covers everything the yamaha warranty does.there is no deductibles either,even harley davidson warranty is a 3rd party after their is done.

Finally,, someone with connections to Mom Yam,, sounds like you may have some inside insite for us that could possibly help in some way.. I am a nobody with nothing but a fair amount of ride time out motorcycle touring America - by that I mean actually riding cross country on a motorcycle with very little to no interest in sparkle and bling.. I also have done the big rally's like Sturgis and Daytona for many years..

One of the things I have noticed throughout the decades of touring I have done is the constant decrease in the number of people actually out chasing the front wheel in the capacity of which I speak. Even the big rally's have seen a steady increase in the numbers of folks who trailer in - ride the area (maybe) - bar hop then load up and head home.. Dont get me wrong - I think its awesome that folks are even still interested in our sport but, again, IMHO,, things have changed HUGELY in the touring world. Personally I see the Big Twin Air Cooled bike market that HD owns the big piece of as a HUGE market in itself. Then there is a much smaller market that the RSV, Wing, Beemer and the like connect with - this market is TINY compared to the non touring but more bar hopper short range cruiser bling type of market that HD has sewn up IMHO..

Like others, I have toured on the air cooled scoots of yesteryear.. I had a shovel low rider that I wrenched my way to almost 200k of really fun cross country miles on.. Like all air cooled machines, it was HOT in the desert tempts that people liked to ride back then.. I wasnt married at the time and normally rode 1 up so the engine heat was workable, I was also young and able to be happy with the wind in my face and prickly skin from being slapped all day so the scoot was able to get a constant solid air flow with no fairing or windshield disturbing the air movement.. Problem is, now I am married and the woman who owns the rear seat on my Yamaha Venture REALLY does not appreciate being toasted back there..

Getting long winded here,, sorry about that... My point is,,, is this new machine aimed at the Harley market which Polaris with its recent Indian repop is aimed at and all the other V-Twins or is actually aimed at the smaller for real touring market that is dominated by the Honda Goldwing? Do you and/or Mom Yam see the difference between the two markets or am what I (and a few others like me) wrong in my preception? If a person were to take one of these new Ventures into tempts out west ranging well above 100 degrees for hours and hours on end would the passenger pay the price with burned legs and feet? Would high cross winds like daily seen in places like Montana, Wyoming, Utah and Nevada be a problem for the passenger as the winds blew thru the cooling fins on the rear jug and across the legs of the passenger?

Also, as a Yamaha dealership having dealt with a similar motor/tranny to this in the Strat/Roadliner and Raider (someday,, somehow I am gonna OWN a Raider = I DO love that motor but think it best to love it in a "chopper") - did you folks see an increase in your sales of bikes with that particular engine in it? In our area those scoots were more of a hard sell because they just could not compete with HD on HD turf.. Their only saving grace was price point - a person could buy a new Strat for half the price of a similar HD BUT - even at that - there were left overs for years and now those same bikes show the same in resale value - less then have the resale value as a similar HD..

Another ? I just gotta ask,, did Arlen Ness or someone else with Polaris jump ship to the Mom Yam design team? The second I saw that new one at the unveiling at Americade in NY visions of visions popped into my head.. Not trying to be a smarty pants or nothing,, just some questions that been buggin me...

Thanks for your time Night Wind and seriously,, I hope this new one really does turn the touring world upside down like Mom Yam said it was going to and that its not just another shot off the bow of The Motor Company!!

Puc

Edited by cowpuc

The yamaha warranty is 5 years,first year is through yamaha the remaining 4 years is through a 3rd party but covers everything the yamaha warranty does.there is no deductibles either,even harley davidson warranty is a 3rd party after their is done.

Hey Bigfraid. I think you missed my point. Did the introduction of the new Yamaha Venture save the Kawasaki Voyager? Did a Kawasaki boardroom meeting go like this?

Director North American Sales: Well... Yamaha just introduced a new touring bike. What are we going to do about it.

South Central Zone Manager: Almost all our dealers are multi-brand. Our Voyager would get free advertising when someone came in to look at the new Venture. Our Voyager would compare favorably against the new Venture especially on price.

Vice-President of Development North America: We wouldn't go too far wrong following Yamaha's lead. If Yamaha thinks there is a market for a $27,000 partial mechanical lifter, air-cooled, over-head-valve, push-rod, belt-drive, v-twin, with a one-year fact-toe-ree warranty like their new Venture, then surely there is a market for our Voyager, a $17,000 hydraulic lifter, water-cooled, chain-driven-over-head-cam, belt-drive, v-twin with a three-year fact-toe-ree warranty.

Director North American Sales: We were going to discontinue the Voyager but it will cost us next to nothing to keep the Voyager active. Let's continue to sell the Voyager. Yamaha is in bed with their new bike for at least the next five years depending on sales. We can discuss at the next annual meeting what to do with the Voyager then and use Yamaha's success or lack of it, to help us decide if we should keep selling the Voyager past 2019, develop another tour bike of our own clean-sheet, or get out of the large touring bike market altogether.

CEO Kawasaki Heavy Industries, LTD: The Voyager is staying in the line-up. Get 'er done boys.

• 2 weeks later...

Very extensive and complimentary review. Now we know, maximum of 76.9 hp at the rear wheels. Also noticed that max torque of 109 ft lbs occurs at 75mph so downshifting won't be needed to pass at highway speeds. I think I read that the lifters were hydraulic?