New Star Venture

10spd

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I read Rider Magazines ride report last night on the new Venture. They absolutely love the bike, but did mention it was throwing some heat off. Every ride report i have read or watched on Youtube has mentioned the heat issue. This is exactly what we were all saying would happen if Yamaha didn't water cool the bike.

Big Lenny

That really is a shame about the heat issue. It is also unbelievable to me that they released the bike with a heat issue with no apparent attempt to address it. Its probably the number 1 complaint of HD V twin owners and Yamaha had a well known heat issue with the FJR ( liquid cooled) that didn't get fixed until 2006,so Flyin is spot on with the 3 year wait for a fix (if it comes at all). Makes you wonder sometimes.

I've spoken with two dealers who say they will not be bringing the new Venture in unless a customer pre-orders it. Both mentioned the price tag. If the dealers don't have it in the show room to sell....people can't see it, can't test ride it....they won't buy it.

That really is a shame about the heat issue. It is also unbelievable to me that they released the bike with a heat issue with no apparent attempt to address it. Its probably the number 1 complaint of HD V twin owners and Yamaha had a well known heat issue with the FJR ( liquid cooled) that didn't get fixed until 2006,so Flyin is spot on with the 3 year wait for a fix (if it comes at all). Makes you wonder sometimes.

My 2¢... They had to have known about the heat issue, and they chose to do nothing about it. All those promo videos, ads, and testimonials, and the test/riders never mention it?? C'mon who are they trying to kid?? They took an existing bike.. Stratoliner.. and put on another suit of plastics, and added a bunch of glitzy electronics that will probably go bad or get outdated in a few short years. Nope..all they did was build a cheap clone of what the rest of the industry is selling. The only problem is Yamaha has never held value, or had the heritage, like a Harley or Indian here in the US. Yamaha's market is in innovation, and they dropped the ball on this one... :sign cmon:

I've spoken with two dealers who say they will not be bringing the new Venture in unless a customer pre-orders it. Both mentioned the price tag. If the dealers don't have it in the show room to sell....people can't see it, can't test ride it....they won't buy it.
Oh Canada. :canada: :depressed: :bang head:

I rode one twice last week at Redwing (STAR Days). Ambient heat was mid to high 80's. Heat from the bike was not noticeable, once I turned off the seat heater from the previous guy. lol.

It has pretty nice air control while moving. Knee vents keep heat off you feet. Big plexi side wings control your body cavity flow, nicely.

I've had a Roadstar, Strat, RSV and RSTD (still got that one). I found nothing to complain about on the bike.,,,,, but I already gone to a GW trike for my two up ride and the wife is happy with that.

And my solo is the RSTD and this new bike is to much a mega bike to be my solo ride. So, for that reason, I will not get one. If I was 10 years younger,,,,, yes I would fro two up.

Has the comfort of the RSV and the handling of a Strat. And, stands up easier than the Strat. Has more doo-dads than I could keep up with.

And my inseam is 29" and it fits me fine, no lowering would be needed. Even a 5'3" friend rode it fine.

I like was I saw, like what I rode. They did their work. Suggest you test one. If it was priced like the RSV,, yeah, might.

As for dealers, the Yamaha tech said they will be working with bigger dealers who move inventory. They don't want them sitting on a mom/pop dealer floor for two years like the RSV did.

(So, I think that means that Yamaha will broker the bikes with the movers but the smalls would probably have to buy to get them in. Not sure how they market them out. Just his comment was made.)

As for V-twin, air cooled. That is what is for sale,,, soon.

Mike G in SC

If Tip, Tweeks and I are able to make Sturgis this year (currently lookin pretty good for it to happen) - I am planning to take my infra red thermometer along and my video camera (of course).. Understanding that the new Ventures are going to be available there for demo and, hoping the temps are above the 100 mark like they were when we came thru there a week ago I am going to ask one of the factory demo guys to leave the new Venture idling in the parking lot next to Tweeks = simulating two touring bikes stuck in traffic in a high temp zone.. Then I will take temps with my infra red from Tweeks side panels and the new ones exposed engine closes to where the riders legs would be and see if there is any big difference thereof.. I will try and make this as fair as possible in an effort to once and for all (at least in my mind) solve the question as to whether or not heat is going to be a problem for folks actually wanting to use these new machines in a full touring capacity..

I will also tale video of the under side of the rear fender as I think I remember someone asking for info pertaining to hooking up a trailer hitch..

After calming down some since the unveiling, I am actually looking forward to test riding these new ones.. If possible, I/we will do some "pulls" in different gears on different locations while recording and then come back with Tweeks and do the same pulls to try and get some perspective of performance differences between the 119 inch twin and the lowly 74 inch v-4 - could be a TON of fun!!!!

Anyone have any other request they have for us (or any one else that might be getting to rub shoulder with one of these new scoots) in the form of doable research?

I doubt they will let the new Venture sit and idle. It ain't designed for that and will overheat regardless of whether your legs get hot. The fins and the oil cooler might keep the engine cool while riding but it just isn't possible for it to stay cool sitting and idling.

I

Anyone have any other request they have for us (or any one else that might be getting to rub shoulder with one of these new scoots) in the form of doable research?

If you make it out there (I did the 50th), the only question is how easily she handles in twisties. IE, like the 2nd gen or 1st gen? If it's like the 1st gen...I'm good.

I called my local dealer to get on one of these demos they won't be doing that but they ordered one.... I asked about test ride they told me they don't do that so I ask how they do they sell a bike then and basically you have to buy the bike... Wth kind of stealership is that...

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

Edited by snyper316

I doubt they will let the new Venture sit and idle. It ain't designed for that and will overheat regardless of whether your legs get hot. The fins and the oil cooler might keep the engine cool while riding but it just isn't possible for it to stay cool sitting and idling.

I have a hunch that you are probably correct on this assumption Sky BUT,, with video documentation running - I plan to ask them to then show me how the GPS that directs you around all traffic jams, including natural and unnatural works so you never get caught in traffic and I am also going inquire into how exactly the special licensing works that allows a person to utilize the "Authorized Vehicles Only" turn arounds on the interstates that one would have use in the event that an accident happened somewhere before the GPS could plan the riders escape to avoid getting caught in the same...

I know one thing,, Tip/Tweeks and I were down riding the Dragon with a buddy and his wife on their Harley a couple years ago and we all got caught up in a big traffic jam - came out of no where.. It wasnt all that warm - maybe 100.. Even with the rear cylinder shut down - My friends wife was getting burned so bad we had to pull off and wait for traffic to clear before proceeding.

Cowpuc, one thing I'd really like you to ask the Yamaha rep is what is the specification for maximum allowable oil temperature.

There is an online LA Sheriffs dept test of potential police bikes back in 2009 as I remember and oil temp is one of the things they checked to see if it was within the manufacturers specification. According to the test report, the two Harley's that were tested had a maximum allowable oil temperature spec of 410 degrees F! That it amazing to me. As I remember the BMW R bike had a maximum oil temp spec of 300 degrees F. I think the R bike has partial or supplemental water cooling. The rest of the bikes were water cooled and were speced in the range of about 260 degrees F maximum.

Cowpuc, one thing I'd really like you to ask the Yamaha rep is what is the specification for maximum allowable oil temperature.

There is an online LA Sheriffs dept test of potential police bikes back in 2009 as I remember and oil temp is one of the things they checked to see if it was within the manufacturers specification. According to the test report, the two Harley's that were tested had a maximum allowable oil temperature spec of 410 degrees F! That it amazing to me. As I remember the BMW R bike had a maximum oil temp spec of 300 degrees F. I think the R bike has partial or supplemental water cooling. The rest of the bikes were water cooled and were speced in the range of about 260 degrees F maximum.

Rock n roll brother = think what I'll do is make a copy of this thread and go down the list lookin for answers.. THAT is a REALLY good question Sky!!!

Well I'll be horn swoggled..!! I just received an email from Yamaha and they are going to have one of the new 'tourer's' available for a test ride at a dealer right here in River City... Yep, Roseville Yamaha is on the list for Aug 18/19. There's going to be one close enough that I'll be able to make it water cooled... :whistling: My right knee is actually been feeling fairly good lately. Maybe I'll ride the '04 Venture/Voyager over to take a look...

2014-06-05 18.06.44 (Medium).jpg

Well I'll be horn swoggled..!! I just received an email from Yamaha and they are going to have one of the new 'tourer's' available for a test ride at a dealer right here in River City... Yep, Roseville Yamaha is on the list for Aug 18/19. There's going to be one close enough that I'll be able to make it water cooled... :whistling: My right knee is actually been feeling fairly good lately. Maybe I'll ride the '04 Venture/Voyager over to take a look...

If you have an MK1, you should ride that over there. I will be riding my 84 to test ride the 18 whenever one gets semi close to me. show everyone where the bike came from.

If you have an MK1, you should ride that over there. I will be riding my 84 to test ride the 18 whenever one gets semi close to me. show everyone where the bike came from.

Wish I did. That would be a hoot... Unfortunately all my 1stGens are non-op's. Wish I still had my '83VR. Here's a pic from better days.

83vr 009 (Medium).JPGattachment.jpg

If one comes near me, I will take the 1st Gen for sure! Then maybe show up on day 2 on the 2nd gen!!

Funny!!

Really? :doh:

There in nothing on the new Yamaharley that came from either a Gen 1 or a Gen 2. It's a ploy, the evil low life Yamaha mad men harvested the name for its creds. Not a very honest thing for Yamaha to do.

Really? :doh:

There in nothing on the new Yamaharley that came from either a Gen 1 or a Gen 2. It's a ploy, the evil low life Yamaha mad men harvested the name for its creds. Not a very honest thing for Yamaha to do.

Rear end definitely hails from the 2nd Gen. I was riding behind a couple with the trunk wing light and if you squint a little...you can see the resemblance.

Front end...frame mounted fairing, pockets/bins...but it is definitely "futuristic".

Personally I still think someone,, Arlen Ness?, from Polaris jumped ship and sprinkled some Victory pixie dust on Mom Yam or something... That thing sure looks more Victoryish than Yamaha to these ol Cowpuc eyes!!

I am hoping to do EXACTLY what @CMCOFFEY suggested and gonna take Tweeksis in all her glory and park er right out front of the Yam Shop in Sturgis during the Rally,, again, and go climb on one of those new ones to do a little shadow boxing!! This will be the second time Tweeksis has chased this this thang - first one out in New York didnt fair so well (no test riding) but I gotta hunch this time will be different!!

• 2 weeks later...