IGNORED

New Star Venture

10spd

Here is a interesting read on the new Venture you might be interested in.

I thought it interesting about the engine oil cooler that is built into the frame. I wonder how well that works to keep engine heat down.

:Venture:

That is a good read, I hope it works and I hope this bike is a win for guys waiting for a better twin. The luggage and analog instrumentation are looking pretty good. It will be interesting to see how cool it runs in hot weather or after being pushed up a mountain pass fully loaded, if they have developed an efficient oil cooling system that really works I'll be impressed.

It makes me wonder how the 3rd gen MKII will differ.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've tried to stop beating this horse but I can't resist....

Watercooled Engine's BTU's are the same as AirCooled Engines's BTU's. A watercooled engine usually has the heat-exchanger a foot or so away from you in the downtubes. This gives the BTU's a little more time to disperse before they get to you, so it might not feel as hot as a comparable aircooled motorcycle throwing off the same BTU's.

An Aircooled Engines BTU's... in a VTwin, usually has the heat-exchanger right below your family jewels. This close proximity of heat is concentrated in this area when no air is moving across the cooling fins, or you. I believe this is why the Aircooled engine feels much hotter. From the closeness and pinpoint concentration of heat.

In my opinion... for the money you are spending... you should get a water cooled engine in this class of motorcycle. In addition to no-brainer better heat management, you get several other benefits only a liquid cooled engine can offer.

This is not the first time that Yamaha has used the frame as the oil reservoir. I believe it was my old XT500 "Thumper" that used the frame. It will be interesting to see how effective it is. I have not seen anything about it having an oil jacket that some have mentioned. Maybe I just missed it.

Anybody seen it mentioned what size the stereo speakers are?

This is not the first time that Yamaha has used the frame as the oil reservoir. I believe it was my old XT500 "Thumper" that used the frame. It will be interesting to see how effective it is. I have not seen anything about it having an oil jacket that some have mentioned. Maybe I just missed it.

Maybe I'm reading the above wrong but from what I've read, the oil cooler is mounted between the front down tubes of the frame.

I think you are right but that is in addition to the oil reservoir being in the frame. I would think that would help also as it gets it at least a little ways from the engine.

If there really are oil galleys that encompass the heads and cylinders to some degree, possibly between the fins or internally as we have seen before, with an external heat exchanger. Oil cooling is nothing new but the volume and viscosity of oil vs that of proper liquid cooling has to date been pretty different. With a badass oil pump and a couple extra qts of oil I guess it could conceivably work somewhat. IIRC Buell was using the frame to store fuel on some of their models. I'm most anxious for one of our brothers or sisters to chime in after buying one.

• 4 weeks later...

I have ridden a big displacement V twin and I love them.Low revs , big torque and lots of power.I guess we will have to see how people will react to them. No one likes change.The price is ridiculous right now.I would wait a couple of years and buy a used one. Why are there Harley followers?They love the product. This is not Yamaha's first attempt at a big V twin bike.I really do like like it.I hope we can hear from the test riders. Ray

I have ridden a big displacement V twin and I love them.Low revs , big torque and lots of power.I guess we will have to see how people will react to them. No one likes change.The price is ridiculous right now.I would wait a couple of years and buy a used one. Why are there Harley followers?They love the product. This is not Yamaha's first attempt at a big V twin bike.I really do like like it.I hope we can hear from the test riders. Ray

Hey Ray

Are you doing the stage set-up for the Wasaga Beach Rally again this year? Yamaha is suppose to have the new Venture there, it might give you as chance to see it in person.

[TABLE=width: 100%, align: center]

[TR]

[TD=align: center][TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #F7F7F7, align: center][TABLE=class: templateContainer, width: 100%, align: center]

[TR]

[TD=class: headerContainer][TABLE=class: mcnImageBlock, width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=class: mcnImageBlockInner][TABLE=class: mcnImageContentContainer, width: 100%, align: left]

[TR]

[TD=class: mcnImageContent]
ec47ac74-8a52-436b-abd3-c44ff70cfddf.png
[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: center][TABLE=class: templateContainer, width: 100%, align: center]

[TR]

[TD=class: bodyContainer][TABLE=class: mcnImageBlock, width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=class: mcnImageBlockInner][TABLE=class: mcnImageContentContainer, width: 100%, align: left]

[TR]

[TD=class: mcnImageContent, align: center]
fa0ddf72-c264-4d3a-8b17-a4886bb4650c.jpg
[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE=class: mcnTextBlock, width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=class: mcnTextBlockInner][TABLE=class: mcnTextContentContainer, width: 100%, align: left]

[TR]

[TD=class: mcnTextContent]
Great Weekend for Riding, Rallying, and Beach Concerts!

WHAT: 2017 WASAGA BEACH MOTORCYCLE RALLY

• Check out awesome bikes, including Yamaha's all-new
    2018 Star Venture TC
    !

• Get your bike sparkling with the return of The Ride & Shine.

• Join the ride! Various expeditions including the VIP Ride, Mystery Rides, and the Veteran's Ride.

WHEN:
FRIDAY, JULY 14, 2017 - SUNDAY JULY 16, 2017

WHERE: VENDOR VILLAGE, WASAGA BEACH, ON
LOCATED OFF OF MAIN STREET

13 First Street North,

Wasaga Beach, Ontario

L9Z 2K2

(Psst! Find the Yamaha Motor Canada booth. We're giving away FREE swag!)
[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE=class: mcnButtonBlock, width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=class: mcnButtonBlockInner][TABLE=class: mcnButtonContentContainer]

[TR]

[TD=class: mcnButtonContent, align: center]
Learn More about the Event
[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=bgcolor: #333333, align: center][TABLE=class: templateContainer, width: 100%, align: center]

[TR]

[TD=class: footerContainer][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Hey Ray

Are you doing the stage set-up for the Wasaga Beach Rally again this year? Yamaha is suppose to have the new Venture there, it might give you as chance to see it in person.

Anyone planning on going? I'm off work tomorrow...tempting even if just to go look at one in person before they hit the showrooms.

• 2 weeks later...
Kind of disappointed like many. Harley came out with a water cooled V-Twin this year on their Milwaukee 8 engine for the Ultra Limited. Same price tag and all the buzzers and whistles for the most part. It's a good looking bike but I don't see dumping my RSMV for this. I have 140k on my '07 but I think she has another 100k left in her so I guess I won't be in the market for another few years. We'll see how this one evolves but I would be amazed if it had the life of the RSV design. Time will tell but this was a little ant-climactic for me.

I was looking to buy a roadglide but it would cost me 5-6 thousand dollars to get it to the venture level,here's what the roadglide would need.heated grips,seats,backrest,true dauls,forward and reverse,driving lights,tuner,power windshield,cb radio, dual radio,4 led headlights.also harley is not water cooled,it has wet heads water only goes to the heads to cool the exhaust coming out so the pipes are a little cooler.

I'm waiting on some longer term reports on the heat issues. I agree the heat from the rear jug is right where it shouldn't be!! Having said that' here is good old FLA the water cooled v-4 puts out some heat sitting in traffic!

I went to the HD store to drop off my bro to pick his bike up from the 1000 mile service, wandered the show room. Don't know what the deal is with options and what not. but there are bike not as fully equipped (infotainment and central locking) that go for $8K more than the yamaha. I also saw some touting custom colors or leather work with a lot of extra chrome approaching the $48K mark in that show room.

I see a lot of local Yamaha dealers are listing bikes at $1000-$3000 of MSRP as the new model year approaches.

So who know what next august will bring in the terms of pricing?

the wife and i went to star days last week and took several rides on the new venture.

i will share my thoughts but not argue them.

it is a very good looking machine, it has every gizmo that anyone could dream of and the lowest seat height in it's class at 27 inches.

it sounds fine the reverse and forward assist works well, there is plenty of leg room , and the tour pack is a huge improvement!! it's steering is lite and nimble and easy for the vertically challenged to handle

Now to the bad: it hits the rev limiter at 4000 rpm and falls flat until you back off the throttle.

it was 100 degree days and that v twin was getting no air and hotter than hello

it's not my new venture. $.02

Can't this be Bypassed on motorcycles in General? Or are they too technical these days to do such a feat?
With a big bore V-Twin I don't think you would want to rev much higher without risking it flying apart! Keep in mind the mass of those two big pistons as opposed to the mass of our smaller pistons. The displacement is a lot more cc's with half the number of pistons, so obviously, the bore is going to be a lot bigger...

Anyone planning on going? I'm off work tomorrow...tempting even if just to go look at one in person before they hit the showrooms.

Sorry, seeing this now. I did go to Wasaga.

Didn't know about the Yamaha Booth, so didn't look for them, and missed seeing the bike!:bang head:

With a big bore V-Twin I don't think you would want to rev much higher without risking it flying apart! Keep in mind the mass of those two big pistons as opposed to the mass of our smaller pistons. The displacement is a lot more cc's with half the number of pistons, so obviously, the bore is going to be a lot bigger...

To answer the question though, yes, it can be done. Most tuners have the option to raise the rev limiter. Like Bob says, there are certainly limits as to how high you want to raise it. Several of us here have replace the ignition modules on our RSV's with the Dyna2000. I did it on my '99 and have already done it on my '05. They will tell you to NOT raise it above, I think it's 7200, unless you install heavy duty valve springs. I have no doubt that somebody will come out with an aftermarket module for the new one pretty quickly. On the Harley Road Glide that I had, you didn't need a new module as it was fuel injected and all electronic. You just plugged a tuner in and reset things they way you wanted to. Rev limiter, air flow, even speedometer calibration. You could do it all with the tuner. I loved that. Of course the particular tuner that I bought was around $750.00 if I remember correctly and it was mated to YOUR bike. Meaning, I could not use it to tune somebody elses bike.

I read Rider Magazines ride report last night on the new Venture. They absolutely love the bike, but did mention it was throwing some heat off. Every ride report i have read or watched on Youtube has mentioned the heat issue. This is exactly what we were all saying would happen if Yamaha didn't water cool the bike. All the ride reports are ranting and raving about everything about the bike, from how well it rides and corners, to how comfortable it is in the saddle, to all of the tech stuff that is on it. But, that dude appears to be a hot one in high ambient temps.

They might have to address that like Kawi had to with their Voyager.

Big Lenny