New Star Venture

10spd

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Motorcycles have been around for a long time. Longer than the V-4 and Flat 6 have been around. What did bikers do before that? TOURED the country. With T bags, windshield bags, etc. They rode, and rode. People get caught up and lose track, that despite the motor, it's still fun to ride. From a purist point of view, the new venture should have had the V4 but it doesn't. Again, prior to that what did we do? We rode all around the country.

Back when I was maybe 5 (I'll say prior to 1962 lol) My brother was stationed in Tampa in the USAF. He had an old BSA maybe 500cc Might have been a one lunger I forget. But he rode that thing from Tampa to Detroit. That was before they even invented interstate. LOL Duffle bag and Levis jacket.

Another year I was stationed out in Oklahoma and I get a phone call on morning. It's my brother, and a couple of his work mates. They had been layed off during production change, so he thought it sounded like a good idea for a road trip. He was living in Detroit at the time. He was west of Amarillo when he called. Hey can we swing by visit a day or so. Sure no problem. He and his buddies show up and the biggest bike between the 3 was a 750 Honda 4.

I fully enjoy my bells and whistles and comforts.

Motorcycles have been around for a long time. Longer than the V-4 and Flat 6 have been around. What did bikers do before that? TOURED the country. With T bags, windshield bags, etc. They rode, and rode. People get caught up and lose track, that despite the motor, it's still fun to ride. From a purist point of view, the new venture should have had the V4 but it doesn't. Again, prior to that what did we do? We rode all around the country.

Good Point! Back in the 30's riders rode bikes with air cooled V twins. Now it's 2017 and Yamaha comes out with their new touring bike that has an air cooled v twin. Hilarious depending on your sense of humor!

I went a checked out a Victory Forum like someone mentioned. For the most part they're pretty stoked.

There's a few saying that this is the touring bike that Victory should have built!

I'll have to check out a few more forums and see what they're saying!!

This is my first time if memory serves of me jumping out of my own thread so I hope sincerely not to upset or cause anyone some distress. I see what Yamaha was thinking with this bike and I somewhat agree with why they did what they did. I come from a H-D family going back to the post wwII era. To state that my family is against change is an understatement, these guys refuse to even acknowledge the new Indian let alone a revolution motor from H-D. So believe me I can quite sympathize with the love of the v-4, shaft drive, liquid cooling. For many it has the same appeal as a v-6 powered corvette with a turbocharger that has an electric motor backup. I say this not to demean the love of the setup. I have an 86 Royale that I can outright say is a work in progress and have at times been tempted to load up onto a trailer and push into Ladybird Lake.

I too was born in 1977 so while many of you were out riding around yes I was in my Superman underoos, eating a fudgesicle while trying to figure out how many more Acme products Wile E. Coyote (super-genius) would have to order to nail the Road Runner (meep meep). The one thing I never forgot while cruising around on the back deck of my parents car trying to watch for my dad to slam on the brakes to launch me onto the floor was the massive bikes that I saw on the highway that had bags, a trunk, a windshield, and looked oh so comfortable. These bikes for the most part were Harley's Electra and Tour-glide, the Yamaha Venture Royale, the Suzuki Cavalcade, Kawasaki's Voyager XII, and the Goldwing. Many of you may have memories back in the day of riding these Clydesdales and still smile at the mere drop of these names and the good old times that you had on them. I envy these memories, truly I do. I genuinely wish that these names in spirit carried forward to this time thirty years after the fact. Unfortunately for us Suzuki fell off to the wayside, the Venture was next, followed by the Voyager. Only the Harley and Honda have made it through with uninterrupted production and even then, the Road/tour glide was interrupted with the Electra following suit with the Goldwing.

Harley and Honda gave Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha a bloody nose with the touring market so badly that they had to back out and recalculate the game. The Cavalcade had serious comfort in it's day and age, the Yamaha had handling and adjustable controls, the Voyager had serious power and a price point to boot. Prior to acquiring MY Venture (and I was only able to do so because it was free) I was saving up for a Goldwing myself. Any manufacturer entering the touring market has to immediately go up against the double barrel of Harley and Honda. Both brands have true die-hard loyal riders and are household names. To enter into this market everything has to be set up correctly from the start and when you do go to jump in, it must be a cannonball.

Suzuki, Kawasaki, and Yamaha found a work-around in the 90's with the cruiser touring market. For those riders out there that truly want to go from Los Angeles to New York on a whim, the Wing is the only applicant with the occasional Harley FL thrown in for good measure and a BMW or two. The cruise-tour market was it's own niche for quite a few years since it gave the ability to do occasional long runs but could still be cruised around without too much hassle. Between Suzi, Kawi, and Momma Yama enough attention was able to be drawn that Honda once again got into the game with the Valkyrie tour which at least in my opinion fell off the ugly tree, caught every bunch on the way down and managed to land in the overpriced rosebush as it tried to sneak into the niche. This little window gave us the C90 tour, the Vulcan Voyager and the one that seems to be beloved to members here the Royal Star Venture.

While I understand wholeheartedly the desire to keep that v4 with the shaft and everything else this bike has that has endeared us, the Royal Star, the Tour Classic, the Tour Deluxe, and the Venture Royale had reason to keep the facility open that produced said v4. Yamaha eventually phased out the Royal Star, the Tour, the Deluxe and finally the Venture Royale and moved it forward to the Roadie and Strat. We're coming out of a global recession (or so our government tells us) and even still corporations and people feel the pinch, that's everyone from Joe Schmuck to Acme enterprises. The cruiser love is still all over the place. There are many out there myself included that balk at all this techno gee wizardry and will always view it as a distraction while we're riding that we have fought with the cagers for decades about because when these items are used, it takes attention from the driving that is supposed to be at the forefront of our minds. There will always be those of us that look at this and imagine what happens if something electrical goes out in one of THESE babies especially when you consider how much of a rat's nest even a gen 1 venture's wiring harness is.

So why in the name of all that is unholy in this and every other universe did Yamaha not only cancel the v4 and the shaft drive and go to the Harley rallies to get information on the bike they were building rather than (for example) here to us? The answer's simple and right in front of our faces....the almighty $$$$. I get it even though I don't like it. Along with many of you I feel that the v4 is as iconic to the Venture as that flat engine is to the Goldwing. A vtwin that's in production on multiple bikes vs a v4 on a single model? If Yamaha had renovated the Venture sooner while they were still cranking out the Royal then yes, an argument could be fiscally made. Shaft drive vs belt drive? No brainer especially with less power loss from the crank to the rear wheel. The styling for me is more hit than miss simply because I feel that in it's own way it is a hybrid front and rear of a Wing with some cruiser touches in the middle. Likewise (yes I am also a member of the vog) I wanted to purchase a Victory and was trying to buy a Vegas so yes I'm disgruntled at Polaris for yanking the rug out from under my feet.

The Indian will only pull away from Harley and those of us that recognize the name (consider it a protest vote for the time being). The cost is far too extravagant still and won't go down in value for a few years. Suzuki has no contenders in this market and I don't see them stepping up. Kawasaki's Voyager is due for a remodel sometime in the next three to five years. BMW is in a league of it's own. Harley's still plagued by recalls and the overheating issue and the transmission issue and so on as Harley is known. Triumph has it's Trophy but I'm more than willing to bet that even if you'd heard the name it's doubtful it would even have been considered.

So where does this put Yamaha? A perfect spot to snipe with a slightly lower price point but the same slightly updated technology due to being the new kid on the block. Styling lines that will get the Victory guys going and a name that warms the heart in all the right places. For many of us, this is like countering a Hemi Charger with an 80's Charger, it might have the same name on the body but it ain't the same head to head. So what's the choice? Take your pick how many of you when you went out to your Venture for a ride pressed the button on the right grip and knew you'd need a new Venture? Much as I hate sounding like the C.E.O. of Polaris industries, enjoy your bike, love the bike that you ride now. She might not very well be the new hotness out on the dance floor, but she does know how to make you warm in bed at night, cook your favorite meal and even cares enough about you to wash the skidmarks out of your underwear while still kissing you on the lips.

For the next generation that doesn't remember the 80's 90's Ventures, the name still gets to carry forward and they have the ability to forge their own memories with this bike. I've seen so many of you that claim that this bike will be your last and as someone that could easily at one time have referred to you as "Father" "Uncle" "Grandfather" I'm honored to know that there are riders here that have survived the asphalt jungle without loss of life. Likewise it's difficult to watch time tick away as I'm getting older but there's nothing like the "good ol' days" stories to ignite that passion in the next generation.

Maybe I'm getting too damn sentimental and making too much of this. Maybe I should join the *****wagon about the motor and shaft drive and the styling. I still haven't ridden my Venture since it's being built and don't know the sensation as of yet of a V4 but who knows. For someone out there, this is their dream. For someone else, it's their nightmare. For me it's another rider that I get to wave to as I pass down the road.

Gotta say there are a few design features I like. Like the front end except, I think, the scoops are too large (maybe design, maybe functionality I don't know) a bit too Goldwingie. Although it looks as thought they've put some storage in the left scoop area, which could be nice. The Pods in front of the floor boards are, In my opinion, kinda overly large (another nod at the Goldwing) wonder if these serve a function other than a place for the optional lights. All of this matters from the front view but, kinda goes away with the side view.

I really like the lines of the tank, bags and the rear end. It reminds me of the older (70s, 80s and 90s) Japanese bikes that had that cute little upsweep on the rear fender. Not as obvious but still that same sweeping lines look that I always loved in the bikes back then.

I don't like that you'll have to spend another $300 or so to get a heel-toe shift accessory. Dang if I haven't gotten to love the heel toe!! Don't like that the bugger weighs in about 100 lbs more than the 3rd gen. And, honestly, in the side photos of the bike being ridden, the rider really doesn't look all that comfortable (handle bars too far forward). Guess we'll have to wait on test rides to find out if that's true. There will be a "tall backrest option" (doesn't really look all that "tall" to me) that will be nice. I'm sure an aftermarket company will come out with something better.

Looks like, if you want the CB, dual zone audio, GPS you HAVE to get the Transcontinental package. The way I read it, to get rear speakers you have to get the Transcontinental as well. So no speakers in the rear for the base model.

Wonder about serviceability of this bike. How easily is the Tupperware® removed? How easy is the engine/bike to work on? (change plugs, tire changes). Will this be less costly to maintain or more costly because you'll have to let Yamaha service do it all?

Unfortunately, by the time I could afford one, or for used ones to show up, I will probably be out of the market. Probably will test one out but don't know that I'll ever buy one.

Who knows though, my old "you only live once" may rear it's ugly head or some rich relative may leave me a huge estate and keep me riding and buying longer. ;)

Just my :2cents: from what I've read and observed.

I did not take the time to read all 11 pages of this post, I confess. Personally - I would never buy a brand new, first model year of anything. I'll give it 3-5 years to get the gremlins worked out, read the reviews and road test comparisons, then sit on them and see which ones I can touch the ground on and wait for the lightly used one of my choice to show up on Cycletrader. I am not a "brand loyalist" nor a "brand basher". Every machine has issues & problems - 'cuz it's a mechanical machine. Most of these new touring bikes can last a lifetime if cared for. Most will break down somewhere sometime. Most have all the power you will ever need, plus. I don't really care about styling features or color or chrome levels or the name on the tank or the amount of electronics in the dash or what bike my buddies ride. I like my 2000 RSV, and I've had great luck with it, put a lotta miles on it ~ but if I was buying another bike - I'd check them all out. The used ones, that is.

Reliability, handling, can my feet touch the ground safely, price and does my wife approve of the rear seat - those are the selling points for me. Probably should have moved the "rear seat comfort" up the priority scale. The rest is eye candy.

Just my $.02.

Somewhere in the vast commentary above where features and bells & whistles are being debated, someone had a "back in the day" post - how bikes and bikers used to ride. Not to get too far afield, but a couple of book by Mark "Tiger" Edmonds - "Longrider" and "Ghosts of Scootertrash Past" are worth reading. If you like that sort of thing.

51AIc15-ABL.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=dp_byline_sr_ebooks_1?ie=UTF8&text=Mark+Tiger+Edmonds&search-alias=digital-text&field-author=Mark+Tiger+Edmonds&sort=relevancerank

Seems to me the disappointment we are all feeling is not so much about touring bikes or about the value of V-Twins over V-4s, it is due to Yamaha not giving us the new 3rd generation Venture so many of us wanted. I'm sure in time we will get over it.

Instead they gave us a totally new bike with a V-Twin. This new bike looks like an awesome touring bike and will likely handle better than the Venture. Despite the "fake news" and the misappropriated name, this new bike has no DNA from the Venture and can never be the 3rd generation Venture except in name. The Venture line is done and the new bike should have been honored with a new name. It's like an adopted child and we can still love it.

Ya know bro,, my Dad was a Police Officer and I used to snag his cuffs to play with when I was a young varmint.. He had real deal genuine Cop Cuff's with the little tiny hole on the bracelet that you would push the pin on the end of the keys into to double lock them (not sure if these are still used today). I messed around with a bobby pin on his cuffs and got good enough pickin those things that I could even release the "pin" lock with a bent bobby pin = true story!! My dad was always amazed that he could lock me in em and, as long as I had a bobby pin - within a couple minutes I was free!! We make good partners in grime bro :hihi:

Dad also carried a sawed off pump 12 gauge in his squad car - it was a strange weapon with a "slide" that slid out of the back of the receiver when you racked it = no idea of brand but Dad loved the thing.. One time he left it out and I got my hands on it, was showing my little brother how it worked = racked it and it ripped a bunch of skin off the back of my hand - told my little brother = DONT TELL DAD as I wrapped my hand in towels!!

That night when my dad got home from bowling I got my back side WHOOPED (he used to wack my so hard I felt like my body was a pin wheel).. I kept screaming "what did I do" = after the whoopin he showed me the blood on his gun and asked me to explain the slide action marks on my right hand :doh:

cuffs not hard to open after you pay with tem a few thousand hrs!! Double Lock on most Good cuffs. I have Peerless. External slide I seem to remember but cain't name. Nothing sweeter than a 870 Remington with Double 00 and Slugs!!!

Hey, uhh, speaking of old, you younger ones do realize that if it weren't for some of us more seasoned ones here, you wouldn't have dirt because we were around to invent it?!!?

That's good Bob👍

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

Back in 2010 when I was thinking about buying a Kawasaki Voyager XII I was reading the info on the Voyager site. One thing I read was a detailed post with photos of two guys who rode on the Florida to Alaska annual ride. One was riding a 250cc Suzuki and his buddy was riding a 600cc Honda Silverwing Scooter towing a trailer. So yeah, we can ride and tour on our bikes no matter what they are. Some are just easier to live with than others. But there ain't no perfect anything out there.

I've only ridden briefly 3 touring bikes or baggers, a 2002 Kawasaki Voyager, a 2006 Honda Goldwing, and my current 89 Venture. My favorite is the Goldwing, followed by the Venture and then the Voyager. The Wing was easy to handle, smooth, quiet, and I had no complaints except for the price. The Voyager had very little leg room, was top heavy, and had the loudest transmission I've ever heard. The Venture comes in at number two in my opinion. It's top heavy, has a cheapy feel about it, but has the best sounding engine I've ever heard when the throttle gets a little love!

V-Twin; V-4. This or that. Good features or bad. It really doesn't matter. The only thing that counts is "will I plunk down MY money for it?" This new bike has a lot of features on it. But not the ones I want. So the answer is no. Good as it may be I will not spend my money on it.

Mike

I just went in to my local Yamaha dealer to pick up a few parts that were on order. While there I ask when they would be getting in the new bike and was told mid Sept. or early Oct. and if they would have one for test rides and was put on their list for a demo ride. I will decide on buying one after the demo and it will be a long ride when I do it.

I wonder what damage will be done if it drops in a parking lot? It has no engine guards/crash bars. Dealers will be doing a lot of plastic repair/replace for a lot of $$$. They are not even an option that I could find.

I wonder what damage will be done if it drops in a parking lot? It has no engine guards/crash bars. Dealers will be doing a lot of plastic repair/replace for a lot of $$$. They are not even an option that I could find.

What are these then?

CrashGuards.png

A crash bar / engine guard that is inside of the plastic will do nothing to protect the plastic and paint, and may even make the damage worse.

But then it does look like the plastic and paint will do a good job of protecting the crash bar from damage in a non moving drop. In a crash there is no protection for anything.