10spd

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The

00GTL is as close to the perfect touring bike as you can get in my opinion. I'd love to have one. Bring More Wallet! And it weighs about 200lbs less than the new Stratoliner.

Im onboard with you. Its got all the right stuff in all the right places. 160 hp, 130+ tq. 40+mpg. One thing BMW does is make a world class inline 6. When I heard a bike that had one I was inside out with want. I threw a leg over one and lemme tell ya, like a damn glove and build quality 2nd to none. I declined a test ride because it was around 23k and I seriously would have signed on the dotted line. Its really not a good time for me to drop $2X k.

I have asked owners what they think when I see them and all I hear is fast as hell and comfortable as hell with magical handling. I look at this bike the way I looked at the Vmax in 1985.

My only reservation is the knowledge that BMW cars/bikes can be finicky and tricky to service. One guy I talked to had a Remus system and described mind boggling torque from 1500rpm on. On paper and according to those who have spoken to me its as close to perfection as a performance tour bike can be. I super want one. I thougbt the gen3 Venture was going to be the Japan bike to call the K1600 out to the mat with a nasty V4 and Yamaha reliability. Boy was that a grave miscalculation! When I saw the mosaic headlamps I thought we had a real bruiser from Yamaha to rival the lone German missle.

The gen3 is in a class with most bikes on the road but it would appear that the K1600 has no stable mates and resides in a class by itself. Ever hear one with exhaust? Man, I think I shat myself when I heard the one with the Remus blaze the onramp.

Ok, I just talked myself into test riding one. When I'm done working this week I'm going to BMW, since I now know the Yamaha is a real let down. Air cooled, Phhssssss! Phuuu-effen-lease! Its 2017, its time to bury obsolete HD tech, not emulate it! If imma drop 20+ large on a damn scoot it better plaster an irreversible grin on my face!

Imma take that cutting edge I6 for a spin through Spearfish Canyon!

I lile the new Trophy too but something intoxicating about that rediciously overpowered I6.

Did I say I was going to move on and not rant about this anymore, sorry I lied, but this time its for realsies!

I like the looks and feature set. I am disappointed in the air cooled engine.

Here's a link to the product brochure. https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/content/common/dpg/files/2018_yamaha_Star_Venture.pdf

Dennis

Hey Everybody, Long time VR member, and want to clarify "Air cooled new Venture" Engine is same as Stratoliner/ Roadliner family even more defined. As many of you of you who know me, I owe very firs production year 2006 Stratoliner, and I can tell that's incredibly reliable engine. Yes is stated that is air cooled, but the truth is dual cooling with air and OIL. Strat use 5 quarter of oil which is more than most of the cars I owe. Dont be fulled and compare Yamaha 113 engine with Harly's 107, and Indian's 111 engine, it's whole different story. I have few Iron But's rides with Stratoliner, and was in mid summer in Utah 100+ F, never have any issue with overheating, or engine even didn't sweat. Most likely other VR members who owe Strat will state same. Vishing they build Venture Round V-Max's 1700, but hey it's better than Indian's 28K+ Bike

Just My 2c

Edited by stardbog

Let me sum up why Yamaha did what they did, and let's all recite the secret mantra together, CHEAPER, BETTER, FASTER ​(CHOOSE ONE).

So if it were liquid cooled it would cost closer to $30-31,000? :mo money:

I know there are some reasonably snappy reliable air cooled twins out there but it is dated tech that gives up plenty to their liquid cooled counterparts. Cyl head temps can go crazy on air cooleds, especially if you run hard or start milling and decking to tighten up the comp. Not to mention if head and cyl temps are lower than charge temp can be kept cooler as it enters the cyl, thats more free power. For the price of the bike I dont think modern cooling would be to much to ask for given all the pros and inconsequential cons. It just seems odd for Yamaha to go this direction on a top dollar machine.

Well after thinking about this new bike for a while I will see what they are when I see one up close. Every thing I have owned up to the RSV has been air cooled and I do not think that there are very many on this forum that has never owned one. I am not too good with all the tech stuff so that will be new also. I will get one out and ride it before I totally say no to buying one.

Ok, been around awhile and mostly hide in the bushes and follow everyone else. My thoughts are hit and miss on new Venture. Wanted V4, water cooled, shaft drive MPG. Like the looks, Infotainment, lights, and sure park. FYI, a buddy of mine that rides a 2017 Roadglide Ultra says our Infotainment system beats his. Always been a big fan of the Victory Vision looks. Who wants a bike that looks like everyone else??? Still fan but test road one a few years back and was not a fan. Maybe biggest issue was going from V4 to V twin. I got from the manufacturing world and it does not matter what the product is, the more bells and whistles the more expensive it is!! Huge fan of Yamaha and their reliability and I bet this bike hits that mark. I'm going to hold judgement till I ride one and I will; just food for thought.

I haven't ridden a v-twin until it expired but generally v-twins are seen as being high mileage after 100k or so. Our v4's have gone over 300,000 miles and no one would consider the motor "high mileage" at 100k.

Good point about people with experience riding the Strat and no issues with heat. This engine has been modified or redesigned so it may not be identical and hopefully improved but the fairing/cowling might alter airflow. Someone with a Strat, at what point do you consider that v-twin to be high mileage. High mileage means that the value of the bike is significantly lower, more expensive to maintain, becomes less reliable.

I average 10,000 miles a year. Currently at 60,000 miles....my 2nd Gen motor will out live me.

Im onboard with you. Its got all the right stuff in all the right places. 160 hp, 130+ tq. 40+mpg. One thing BMW does is make a world class inline 6. When I heard a bike that had one I was inside out with want. I threw a leg over one and lemme tell ya, like a damn glove and build quality 2nd to none. I declined a test ride because it was around 23k and I seriously would have signed on the dotted line. Its really not a good time for me to drop $2X k.

I have asked owners what they think when I see them and all I hear is fast as hell and comfortable as hell with magical handling. I look at this bike the way I looked at the Vmax in 1985.

My only reservation is the knowledge that BMW cars/bikes can be finicky and tricky to service. One guy I talked to had a Remus system and described mind boggling torque from 1500rpm on. On paper and according to those who have spoken to me its as close to perfection as a performance tour bike can be. I super want one. I thougbt the gen3 Venture was going to be the Japan bike to call the K1600 out to the mat with a nasty V4 and Yamaha reliability. Boy was that a grave miscalculation! When I saw the mosaic headlamps I thought we had a real bruiser from Yamaha to rival the lone German missle.

The gen3 is in a class with most bikes on the road but it would appear that the K1600 has no stable mates and resides in a class by itself. Ever hear one with exhaust? Man, I think I shat myself when I heard the one with the Remus blaze the onramp.

Ok, I just talked myself into test riding one. When I'm done working this week I'm going to BMW, since I now know the Yamaha is a real let down. Air cooled, Phhssssss! Phuuu-effen-lease! Its 2017, its time to bury obsolete HD tech, not emulate it! If imma drop 20+ large on a damn scoot it better plaster an irreversible grin on my face!

Imma take that cutting edge I6 for a spin through Spearfish Canyon!

I lile the new Trophy too but something intoxicating about that rediciously overpowered I6.

Did I say I was going to move on and not rant about this anymore, sorry I lied, but this time its for realsies!

I looked on craigslist and found a 2014 BMWK1600GTL with 4200 miles for $16,500 and a 2014 with 4900 miles for $15,500. Lusting!

Its all about heat.

An air cooled??? Touring bike just does not get it for me. A second gen RSV, will get 200,000 miles without doing anything beside a valve job(s) and routine maintenance. I expect more miles out of a top end touring bike, not less.

Have ridden with my BIL many times. He literally cooks when we come to a stop on a hot day.

Edited by Joe in WV

When is a Venture not a Venture? When it's an air-cooled V-twin.

1800cc - good.

Modern electronics - good

reverse - good

rest of it is a question mark. Its a Harley-lookalike price-matched to a goldwing because, I guess, that's where they expect it to sell.

I'm retiring in 2 years and I've been thinking about what to give myself as a retirement gift. I'll look at one of these when my dealer brings it in, but brand loyalty only carries minimal weight.

I looked on craigslist and found a 2014 BMWK1600GTL with 4200 miles for $16,500 and a 2014 with 4900 miles for $15,500. Lusting!

If they are such good scoots, why are they selling? They aren't old, don't have any mileage on them..... What's wrong here?

Don't get me wrong, they are great bikes... But I'm curious....

If they are such good scoots, why are they selling? They aren't old, don't have any mileage on them..... What's wrong here?

Perhaps the low mileage tells the story. They haven't been ridden much. Not unusual at all for motorcycles to not be ridden much and then the owner sells rather than keep paying insurance and suffering depreciation or making payments in one of those situations. One owner did say he was in the military and was being transferred as his reason. When I bought my 85 Kawasaki in 2009, it had 1k miles on it. When I bought my 89 Venture in 2014, it had 6k miles on it.

The drawback to buying a BMW in my opinion is that they are expensive, parts and labor are very expensive and overall I don't think they are as reliable as a Japanese bike. The good part is that the engineering is top notch. I've never test driven a BMW auto because I've been afraid I would buy it! LOL!

Edited by BlueSky

When is a Venture not a Venture? When it's an air-cooled V-twin.

1800cc - good.

Modern electronics - good

reverse - good

rest of it is a question mark. Its a Harley-lookalike price-matched to a goldwing because, I guess, that's where they expect it to sell.

I'm retiring in 2 years and I've been thinking about what to give myself as a retirement gift. I'll look at one of these when my dealer brings it in, but brand loyalty only carries minimal weight.

It's not a Venture. It's a Stratoliner!

You might as well ask why low mileage Ventures are often offered forsale. Saying 'whats wrong' is misleading, imo.

there's a hundred possible answers.

I don't ride enough

I'm too old

I want another bike

My wife doesn't like it

I need money for my kids college

I want a sportbike

Its too fast for me

I don't like the seat.

Its time to change the oil so I'm buying a new bike instead

etc

You might as well ask why low mileage Ventures are often offered forsale. Saying 'whats wrong' is misleading, imo.

there's a hundred possible answers.

I don't ride enough

I'm too old

I want another bike

My wife doesn't like it

I need money for my kids college

I want a sportbike

Its too fast for me

I don't like the seat.

Its time to change the oil so I'm buying a new bike instead

etc

My ex-mother-in-law (RIP) would never consider a used car because she figured they got traded in coz there was something wrong with them .... I could never convince her there are many other reason's similar to what you list.

I saw one Listed in the Ozarks somewhere for $13.5, the deals are out there. I was really starting to seriously consider a new Venture before its unveiling. Im glad not now because I would like to get a house paid for first. By 2019 I should be ready to go with a new or new(er) tourer. That fits in better with my financial goals.

Unless someone comes out with something better than the K1600 thats likely what I'll go for. Ill bet by 2019 I can have one for under 10k. I will also bet that its still going to be baddest tourer on the roads. What can I say, I demand ample (even obscene) high speed passing power with my $30,000 (by the time you pay the taxes and get the plates) bikes. Even though I want one for a measly $10k:biker:

Perhaps the low mileage tells the story. They haven't been ridden much. Not unusual at all for motorcycles to not be ridden much and then the owner sells rather than keep paying insurance and suffering depreciation or making payments in one of those situations. One owner did say he was in the military and was being transferred as his reason.

I saw an ad for a used BMW once that had that story line and turned out to be a scam. The guy could not show the bike "because he was on a military base. Wanted me to pay through a fake ebay site. I answered him I could look at it because I am a vet working for a military contractor and would be on his base soon. Never heard back. Didn't think I would.

Im going to guess that one that comes up that nobody talks about is trying to get out from under the financial obligation. Lets face it, $25-30k is a great deal of money, even for the comfortably well off. Think about a used RT and putting the other 20 large into an IRA or invest. My feeling is when folks see and ride it becomes a must have item inspite of better financial sense. A purchase is made with passion and emotion. But down the road when the calculator comes out the burdon becomes clear. Im also going to guess that it is too much bike for some riders, im not sure off the top of my head but I'll bet the cost of maintainance is up there too, which is a reservation I share.

I might have made such a decision had the new Venture been a more serious effort at a world class tourer and now I'm glad it wasnt. Im sure many reasons but ill bet this is a big one.

Here;s "Rider" magazines preliminary take on the new Venture

http://ridermagazine.com/2017/06/05/2018-yamaha-star-venture-first-look-review/

Interesting ... adjustable handlebars? Up or Down but that's about it.

Also interesting but not about the bike is the "flip-flop" reference to capacities .... 144 LITRES of storage capacity and 6.55 GALLON fuel tank.