IGNORED

New Star Venture

10spd

I am not sure why they have heated seats. They should get plenty heat from the motor. Didn't the Victory and Indian come with a 113 CU In air cooled and they have heat problems.

That's my thinking too Chuck. An 1850cc air cooled is gonna kick off enough heat to have a BBQ....:scorched: Don't cruise Main St. in Sturgis.. :-) They haven't done anything different than a bunch of other manufactures have already done. You'd be better off picking up a used Stratoliner and making it your's.... Electronics are cheap and big profit items. Now if they had stuffed a re-cam'd water-cooled FI V-max 1770 in there they would have had a winner.... I do like the smooze styling, but it's not worth $25K. I pity the poor Y dealers that are required to buy one of these for the showroom. Give it a year and there are going to be a lot of bikes selling at cost... :witch_brew: :icon_lurker: MY 2¢ :2cents:

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shaft drive is a "show stopper" for trike conversions? There are many, many Goldwing trikes out there. In any case I believe Yamaha developed a brick but I do like the CCs.

Ok let me rephrase the shaft drive is what I was told by neosho fiberglass is why I can't get a true trike... Something about the hook up. I have only seen one truly triked and it had s10 rear end..

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

I am really disappointed with the air cooled VTwin engine. Trying to figure out what Yamaha means when they say emotional VTwin performance. I can live with most of the other stuff, but that engine just turns me off. Guess I will have to ride one to be persuaded otherwise.

Just for the sake of arguement lets assume it has 100hp, 100hp at a redline of 4700rpm is a fair bit pokier than 100 hp at the 8000 or so you can spin the gen1 up to. So it can be less less "powerful" with the same HP rating, other factors being equal.

Early guess from this article looks like hp will be in the upper 70s. I wonder what real world two-up mpg will be. It's going to be close to having a 200 mile limit which is weak considering it's supposed to be transcontinental. I also wonder what the GVWR of this bike is. So much of its carrying capacity is going to be gobbled up by the weight of that engine.

"The last time we dyno tested a Star ’Liner was in 2013, and the motor in that state of tune produced a healthy 82 hp and a staggering 103.5 lb-ft of torque at its rear wheel. Due to the Venture’s new intake, that horsepower number is likely to suffer the loss of a few ponies."

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/yamaha/2018-yamaha-star-venture-revealed.html

I am really disappointed with the air cooled VTwin engine. Trying to figure out what Yamaha means when they say emotional VTwin performance. I can live with most of the other stuff, but that engine just turns me off. Guess I will have to ride one to be persuaded otherwise.

If I may be so bold as to speculate. I know the emotion I would have when I grab the loud handle to pass a row of Harleys RVs going up the pass at 70 MPH with some gear and wife on the back. I think that emotion would be frustration and dissapointment followed by a wave of heat no longer seen on a modern motorcycle.

I think Don is right, it should satisfy those that like to cruise gently, I'll bet it leaves a stop light with authority amd has a very relaxed cruise, probably built with quality, but your emotional response may not be healthy if you've come to appreciate a bike that can pull fairly hard well into triple digit speeds while revving angerly. I have always liked quick bikes, and fast bikes, performance is part of the appeal of a bike to me.

Not bad looking but rather generic side view. I like the front and rear views. I called my broker a while ago and told him I was going to need cash for a new bike. If it had a V4 I would have gone for it but as it is I just can't go for a Hardly clone. An air cooled, low revving thumper is just not what I want. The air cooled engine and low revs are the turn off for me. Guess I will be keeping the 02 for a few more years.

Not bad looking but rather generic side view. I like the front and rear views. I called my broker a while ago and told him I was going to need cash for a new bike. If it had a V4 I would have gone for it but as it is I just can't go for a Hardly clone. An air cooled, low revving thumper is just not what I want. The air cooled engine and low revs are the turn off for me. Guess I will be keeping the 02 for a few more years.

I was carving out some financial room too. Im actually relieved because im trying to move this year. There are other options out there tbst are quite nice but I was craving the power and revs of the V4, not the power and revs of a Road King. I still have the gen1 which is a fine road bike even with all the hears and miles on her. Im seeing a 1200GS in my future to satisfy the off pavement touring tendancies. IMHO Yamaha's biggest mistake with this bike was the secrecy and Venture name on a very unventurly bike. If motorcycle blueballs was not a thing before it is now. That was a long hyped wait for an air cooled twin that revs like my hydrostatic lawn mower.

Early guess from this article looks like hp will be in the upper 70s. I wonder what real world two-up mpg will be. It's going to be close to having a 200 mile limit which is weak considering it's supposed to be transcontinental. I also wonder what the GVWR of this bike is. So much of its carrying capacity is going to be gobbled up by the weight of that engine.

"The last time we dyno tested a Star ’Liner was in 2013, and the motor in that state of tune produced a healthy 82 hp and a staggering 103.5 lb-ft of torque at its rear wheel. Due to the Venture’s new intake, that horsepower number is likely to suffer the loss of a few ponies."

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/yamaha/2018-yamaha-star-venture-revealed.html

The above article answers all the questions. Nice. Thanks!

I wonder if @cowpuc has dried the tears enough to be able to see for the ride home?

I think I could here him crying during the presentation.

Did anyone catch how many times they said "See, we do listen" then talked about all of the predominately Hardly rallies that they went to for input. No wonder they came out with another Hardly wanabe.

I like everything about this new bike except the Hardly engine. At least the 2nd gens should have another bike they can beat up on, and the 1st gens will still rule the roost. :stirthepot:

My truck has fly by wire throttle, I absolutely hate it. I can really feel that extra half second of delay in throttle response when trying to hold a controlled slide around a corner and steering with the gas peddle. I would hate to have any delay on a bike where that half second could make the difference as to whether or not you can zip out of the way of the jerk that just ran the red light. There are also times that the computer and I are in disagreement as to how far the throttle should be open for the immediate circumstances.

They said it has a 750 watt electrical system. I wonder just how much is left after all of the built in electronics are powered. for those that like extra lights or other toys that we just must have. It has 4 headlights and 2 driving lights to power already. The Headlights are LED, BUT all of the "bright" headlights that I have seen use the same or more power than the comparable halogen bulbs.

Was doing some more digging.

Tires this time. With the bike being a half ton at the curb it is not unrealistic to expect it to weigh 1400-1500 lbs going down the road with 2 real people up, in full gear, and a load of luggage tent etc.

The spec sheet calls out a 130/70R18 Bridgestone Exedra front tire, this has a 63 load rating of 600 lbs and a "H" speed rating of 130 MPH. The rear tire is a 200/55R16 Bridgestone Exedra, I have not found this tire listed anywhere, so there is no way to tell what its load and speed ratings are. This also means that if you ride a lot there is no new tire available.

I was trying to find a back door way of estimating the GVW since the specs do not say. Since it is such a heavy bike at 963 Lbs curb weight, I was wondering if they remembered to leave room for people and their things. I can see 2 people, plus riding gear, plus luggage and camping gear and stuff to add 500 Lbs to the bike.

Unless there is REAL good reason to jump like placing the VMAX 1700 V4 in it, I'll still take the old school tech of the RSV or Gen 1 over this unit. Too many goodies like Fuel Injection, ABS, Traction Control yadda yadda doesn't do it for this veteran.

Remember the potential headaches that go with maintaining those systems.

Lastly, there is something to be said for a Nascar V4 rumble over the all too common pop of a v-twin.

Edited by Liptoss

One of the first places i went to last night after the announcement was the Victory owners site theVOG.net. These are people who ride belt drive, air cooled v-twins all over the nation, and don't think twice about it. As stated on the post above, these folks are crazy excited on what they saw from Yamaha yesterday. They will buy it and not think twice about it not being a V4, or water cooled. This is the market Yamaha wants/needs to pull buyers from to stay in the full dresser market.

If they had went the other way (V4, shaft drive, water cooled), they would be trying to pull buyers from Goldwing, BMW K1600GTL, and other assorted sport tour bikes. They simply aren't going to pull very many of those folks. And, the market isn't very large with those bikes.

When I go on vacation, and I went on one again this past March to Key West, the ratio, and I'm not over estimating this at all, of v-twin, air cooled, belt drive full dresser touring bikes on the road is easily over 80% of the bikes I see. And, I think really the percentage is higher. And, the vast majority of those are Harleys. Then the remaining 20% is made up of Goldwings, and other non v-twin bikes. It appears Yamaha believes, and I think I agree with them, that they must tap into the huge V-Twin market to stay alive in the full dresser touring market.

So, what Yamaha has created is a beautiful bike that has a honkin, high quality, torque filled V-Twin to appeal to the vast V-Twin market, but they also designed the bike to look a tad more futuristic, which might just draw a few folks from the Wing, and the K1600GTL. We'll see.

Having said all of that, I too wish it was a V4, water cooled, shaft drive beast. But, I'm beginning to start to understand why they did it.

Makes me wonder why new Venture is SOO... heavy. RSV looks much heavier with V4, water cooling, drive shaft, mass in general...

Frame mounted fairing and 500+ more cc's to begin with might have some contribution to that.... and as we all know, looks can be deceiving ...

I think I like this bike, it looks very good, and the reviews say it's a peach to ride. I'll want to read a few full tests, and of course I'd love to try one out myself. The price is a real blocker for me, over 30k here in Canuckland. No chance I can spend that kind of money. Especially on a bike that is pretty much only designed for long haul riding. I'm not saying my first gen is perfect for running errands or even just quick trips, but I think it might be better than this behemoth LOL. The fact is I don't have time for a real long haul right now anyway, and in my mind that's what this thing is exclusively designed for. Paying over 30k for something I'd only really use to it's full potential once a year is just not gonna happen in my world. So Yamaha, I'm sorry, but I won't be buying one. I'll expect to see a bragger version of it soon as well, but still way too expensive for me. I think I'll keep my first gen, and maybe find a smaller bike or scooter for running errands/riding to work.

Pity though, as it sure is pretty.

I think I like this bike, it looks very good, and the reviews say it's a peach to ride. I'll want to read a few full tests, and of course I'd love to try one out myself. The price is a real blocker for me, over 30k here in Canuckland. No chance I can spend that kind of money. Especially on a bike that is pretty much only designed for long haul riding. I'm not saying my first gen is perfect for running errands or even just quick trips, but I think it might be better than this behemoth LOL. The fact is I don't have time for a real long haul right now anyway, and in my mind that's what this thing is exclusively designed for. Paying over 30k for something I'd only really use to it's full potential once a year is just not gonna happen in my world. So Yamaha, I'm sorry, but I won't be buying one. I'll expect to see a bragger version of it soon as well, but still way too expensive for me. I think I'll keep my first gen, and maybe find a smaller bike or scooter for running errands/riding to work.

Pity though, as it sure is pretty.

Might I interest you in my 3rd gen venture. 100+ in town if you don't mind some exercise other wise 60 mphg that's miles per half gallon...661a39c36e3d6f8807af732685f9e230.jpg814c5b472b7ad5d1e74e8e4f1a2034b9.jpg

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

Looks like a major headache trying to clean all the bugs that front end will scoop up !!

Looks like a major headache trying to clean all the bugs that front end will scoop up !!

You must have missed that detail in their specs ... you can get an accessory bugsplat wiper that senses when there's bugsplat and automatically activates.

Its to heavy for my old keester.:yikes: I hope momma yama sells a billon of them.:happy65: If I was a younger man I'd say sure why not.:biker: It is a YAMAHA one of the most reliable brands on the road.:happy34: If that was not true these old Ventures wouldn't still be running.:bowdown: As the boss said WELCOME to any new Venture owners when they show up here.:sign green with env