IGNORED

New Star Venture

10spd

Unfortunately, Yamaha stopped trying to compete with the Goldwing in 1993. They could, they have just chosen not to, instead trying to follow the Harley business model of selling motorcycle lifestyle.

Yamaha builds a good motorcycle, the new one has ABS and retains the Star 5 year warranty, something still unmatched in the industry. If I wanted and were to buy a V twin air cooled touring bike, it would be Yamaha just based on the overall reliability, dealer network, etc. If I re-enter the motorcycle market, it will likely be a newer used FJR with cruise or a used 1800 Wing with ABS.

No longer 5 year unlimited warranty. 5 Year Warranty Coverage* -- *1 year limited factory warranty + 4 years Yamaha Extended Service = 5 years coverage.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Marvelous technology. I'm with those who think the bike is confused in its looks department. The air cooled V-Twin isn't appealing to me, it seems out of place on a bike like this. I think it'll do well but it doesn't grab me.

Extremely disappointed with air cooled and belt. I guess Yamaha likes to keep one foot in the past. I would have bet big money on liquid cooled as it is easier to control emissions. I can do the V-twin part but not air cooled.

Since it is air cooled what are the big Goldwing looking scoops up front for? Air intake for the engine or intercooler for a later turbo?

My RSV is looking even better. If I get to buy another 2 wheeler I'll have to look elsewhere.

Extremely disappointed with air cooled and belt. I guess Yamaha likes to keep one foot in the past. I would have bet big money on liquid cooled as it is easier to control emissions. I can do the V-twin part but not air cooled.

Since it is air cooled what are the big Goldwing looking scoops up front for? Air intake for the engine or intercooler for a later turbo?

My RSV is looking even better. If I get to buy another 2 wheeler I'll have to look elsewhere.

V twin air cooled, are not for me.

Dropping this one will cost you more than $5. I don't see any crash bars. I like the style and upgrades but wish it had a V4. I don't know if I see one in my garage or not. I still like my 06. FYI though, my 06 just toasted the regulator/rectifier at 54.400 miles. Beware.

I have calmed down a little now. I understand this from Yamaha's point of view.

You don't have to hit it into outerspace, you just have to hit it out of the ball park to win.

If Yamaha were to bring a VmaxVenture to market, they would be hitting for outer space.

Bringing the StratoVenture to market lets them win all the same, with lower costs to Yamaha.

Really, if you are looking for a Road Glide Ultra/CVO Road Glide Ultra/Electra Glide Ultra/Roadmaster then the StratoVenture should be on your "to buy" list. The StratoVenture will out-everything those previously mentioned models, as future magazine reviews will point out, and will do so at a lower price to you.

The VENTURE name is what gets me. They could have named it anything. But no, they went with "Venture". The "Venture" line is water cooled,shaft drive, V-4's since the beginning of time.

I felt the same disappointment when Ford relabeled Pinto's as MUSTANG II's.

Now that I have reconciled the naming problem... I'll just call them StratoVentures to make it OK in my head.

Yes... I will ride one the first chance I get.

I'm pleasantly surprised. With the transcontinental package it's got all the features I consider required in a touring bike.

Don't care that it's air cooled. I never understood water cooling a twin. Should be plenty of surface area on the engine to cool it.

That park assist stuff is probably because it's so heavy. I wonder if it works with the engine off so you can move it around the garage.... Could be a nice point for the folks that want a big twin tourer but can't push an Ultra around.

ABS is a must in my book, even though I haven't posted it in my other wish lists. ABS and motorcycles are made for each other and IMO it's a crime to design a motorcycle without it.

Not a big fan of dry sump engines, makes maintenance more difficult. Not a show stopper though.

The low red line is because it's got a big stroke and push rod valve train. Didn't dig through the specs but suspect hydraulic tappets so valve lash won't be a maintenance item. Not going to wind up like the V4 but should have a lot of low end torque. Not the kind of engine I like but the market seems to say that's what folks want from big cruisers and tourers.

Hopefully the trunk on this one is large enough for 2 full face helmets.

Don't care that it's air cooled. I never understood water cooling a twin. Should be plenty of surface area on the engine to cool it.

That park assist stuff is probably because it's so heavy. I wonder if it works with the engine off so you can move it around the garage.... Could be a nice point for the folks that want a big twin tourer but can't push an Ultra around.

ABS is a must in my book, even though I haven't posted it in my other wish lists. ABS and motorcycles are made for each other and IMO it's a crime to design a motorcycle without it.

The low red line is because it's got a big stroke and push rod valve train. Didn't dig through the specs but suspect hydraulic tappets so valve lash won't be a maintenance item. Not going to wind up like the V4 but should have a lot of low end torque. Not the kind of engine I like but the market seems to say that's what folks want from big cruisers and tourers.

Hopefully the trunk on this one is large enough for 2 full face helmets.

Harley has to drop the back jug when the bike gets too hot at idling speed due to lack of surface area to get rid of heat. It's called "Parade Mode".

StratoVenture has -electric- park assist.

StratoVenture has ABS.

StratoVenture has hydraulic & mechanical tappets just like the Strat the engine came from. You WILL have to adjust the valves.

StratoVenture is pictured with two helmets in trunk on Yamaha website. Dunno what size they are.

Looks OK but a Kawasaki Voyager is a LOT less! (Around Cdn$20,000) less if a holdover model.

At $27,000 (I'm guessing US$) the New Venture would be around Cdn$36,500 plus taxes so around $40k ROTFLMAO!!!!

I just looked at Yamaha Canada website. $31.999 for the TC model.

We shall see how it does on the market. I would like to see one in person, not that I could spend that much $$ on a toy. I'm married, and would like to stay that way 😜

Dale.

Kind of disappointed like many. Harley came out with a water cooled V-Twin this year on their Milwaukee 8 engine for the Ultra Limited. Same price tag and all the buzzers and whistles for the most part. It's a good looking bike but I don't see dumping my RSMV for this. I have 140k on my '07 but I think she has another 100k left in her so I guess I won't be in the market for another few years. We'll see how this one evolves but I would be amazed if it had the life of the RSV design. Time will tell but this was a little ant-climactic for me.

I am not sure why they have heated seats. They should get plenty heat from the motor. Didn't the Victory and Indian come with a 113 CU In air cooled and they have heat problems.

Folks mention Air cooled and equate that to engine heat and equate that to Victory, Indian, and Harley. Well I can't speak for the other two with any certainty but I can for the Victory.

To set the records straight .... the heat was NOT from the ENGINE ... it comes from the Catalytic convertor which are in the head pipes which are right under the rider and passenger's foot boards.

Get rid of the CATs and the only time you felt engine heat was either stopped or at slow speeds in 85+ degree weather. Even at that it wasn't all that bad. You will get that from any "exposed" engine, including the RSV.

I am sooooo relieved!!

After my '02 RSV clicked over 120k miles... I got the itch to get another bike. I was torn between waiting to see what Yamaha came out with to replace the RSV or just go ahead and get a 2015 Goldwing. I decided to get the Goldwing.

If Yamaha would have come out with something I would have wanted... I would be really pissed. Thankfully... that did not happen. LOL

If I wanted a air cooled, v-twin with belt drive... I would buy American.

I like that they went back to the frame mounted fairing like my '92 VR and Wing and some of the other features are just great. But an air cooled tractor engine??? I'll pass.

Been to busy messing around tonight to go to Victory site, but can only imagine. LOL Polaris shut down Victory bike just like this one. OMG Yamaha probably to deep into production when plug got pulled on Victory.

Dear Yamaha,

Thank you for my early Vmax and early Venture which most notably feature an amazing stompy V4 that is so good its still acceptable decades later. Great work. Also enjoyed the RD400.

A 3rd gen Venture, hell yea! Obviously this would be the amazing V4 already in production, what else could a Venture have? The answer is not so exciting, is it? You put a HD level engine in this bike. Did you look at the current market and see a vacuum or void that could be filled with an generic cruiser/tourer with dismal performance and economy. Really? WHAT THE HELL? Did you think adding BT and reverse was going to make that okay? Whos idea was that? You should have told us when you knew that this was no Venture. You let us get psyched for a machine based on the monotonously mundane, garden variety, generic (stop me if you've heard this before) air cooled (stop me if you've heard this before) Narrow angle (stop me if you've heard this before) Vtwin. REALLY?

Oh, wait, theres more, its priced like the truly magnificent K1600GTL. How do you justify that? Please regale me with tales of how now common technology and an engine more suitable to a log splitter, bilge pump or garden tractor justifies all the hype and secrecy. A bike nearly 1000 lbs damn near needs the V4 just to outrun a 52 passenger schoolbus, how could we be this far back 30 years later?

I thought we were getting a stompy touring bike clad with current engine tech, the next chapter in Venturedom, i started moving things around so that I could buy this bike if you hit the nail on the head. Yup. You hit it on the thumb. Exactly when did you think Venture customers/owners stopped caring about performance? I will likely be buying a new bike in the coming months. It will almost certainly be a Triumph or BMW.

Sincerely,

Lost customer.

There, done, moving on now. :cool17:

Well Doc said take two bottles and call me in the morning. So I am out yo, I guess I would have to test drive this but Seriously Belt Drive..... the yamaha touring bike will never be the same, However the shaft has been the show stopper for Trike Conversions, But I would have to cut alot of weight to even attempt one of those. If they have Cat converters that would be the first thing to go, however if its computer monitored that may be more trouble then its worth.

I could live with a belt drive, belts and chains dont loose as much power as a shaft drive so more of tbe juice hits the road. Shaft drive is still my preference but I would take a belt over a chain. They are lighter requiring less power to spin em fast, less maintainance, adjustment and oiling. Modern belts can hold the power and last a very long time. A belt wouldnt be a deal breaker for me.

I just read something that suggested 126 rw-tq and hp probably under 100. A redline somewhere south of 5k and cruising rpm of 2750@75 with a double overdrive gearbox. The double overdrive was on my original wish list but with a redline of a stationary diesel generator it may need those short ratios. On paper this bike looks like a serious pig in spite of impressive rwtq. I guess we'll have to see the reviews as they come out. Its clearly not aimed at me but Im still curious how it handles the 1/4, 0-60 and most importantly 60-100.

Im sure it will be a nice bike for the twin guys but I cant imagine the rev limiter cutting in at what will feel like off idle. I guess I see a couple glaring flaws, those being dismal MPG and a very lofty price. I guess it remains to be seen how it performs. Compression ratio is relatively low, as expected with air cooling. I would expect highway performance to be unexciting. Just for the sake of arguement lets assume it has 100hp, 100hp at a redline of 4700rpm is a fair bit pokier than 100 hp at the 8000 or so you can spin the gen1 up to. So it can be less less "powerful" with the same HP rating, other factors being equal.

Well, I haven't really looked at the new Venture closely. I've just been slammed with work and barely have time to eat, much less explore anything. I will say that I think it looks great. I actually love the front view. I think they did a great job on the fairing. I also like the design of the trunk, looks very sleek.

I will admit to being disappointed that it's not a V4 but I think that most of us knew that it wasn't going to be. That being said, I loved the low end torque of the 2013 Harley Road Glide that I sold early last year. The low RPM High Torque suited my riding style very well. I put a tuner on it and raised the redline as high as I felt was same with the stock components and it performed very well for me.

The belt drive doesn't concern me. They have proven to be pretty reliable and I had no problem with it on the Harley but in full disclosure, it only had about 20,000 miles on it when I sold it.

My primary concern with this new bike is the engine heat. The Harley was nothing short of brutal on a hot day. I got caught in heavy traffic a couple of times and was actually standing on the pegs in an effort to stop my inner thighs from burning up. My wife also felt the extreme heat on her feet. This was in spite of the fact that I had removed the catalytic converter and tuned the bike in the recommended way to lower the heat. Nothing worked, that bike would burn you up.

We will just have to wait and see how it does in regards to heat but the fact is, a 113 cubic inch air cooled V-Twin just has to create some heat. It's probably the major complaint with all the other bikes with the same configuration. Other than that though, I love the looks of the new Venture.

I would like to be the first to welcome any new owners of the third generation Venture to our family.

Well Doc said take two bottles and call me in the morning. So I am out yo, I guess I would have to test drive this but Seriously Belt Drive..... the yamaha touring bike will never be the same, However the shaft has been the show stopper for Trike Conversions, But I would have to cut alot of weight to even attempt one of those. If they have Cat converters that would be the first thing to go, however if its computer monitored that may be more trouble then its worth.

Shaft drive is a "show stopper" for trike conversions? There are many, many Goldwing trikes out there. In any case I believe Yamaha developed a brick but I do like the CCs.