IGNORED

New Venture???

loehring

Did anyone else get the email about the new unveiling?

Dear Yamaha Motorcycle Enthusiast:

Join us for the unveiling of our incredible, new transcontinental touring machine June 5th at Americade in beautiful Lake George, New York.

Or, if you’re unable to attend, see it via live streaming on our website – and witness history in the making.

I got this from Yamaha today. Anyone have any information?

that suggests a "dual sport touring" design.

Exactly - THAT is what I am counting on!!!!! I got these high hopes that they read jfman 's transcontinental dual sport ride report on his 1st Gen Venture and FINALLY realized how adequate our MK1's really are and BINGO,,,, the new detuned 1700cc Vmax motored - fixed fairing Venture dual sport transcontinental touring bike is born!! COME ONNNNNN 5 JUNE!!!!

Exactly - THAT is what I am counting on!!!!! I got these high hopes that they read jfman 's transcontinental dual sport ride report on his 1st Gen Venture and FINALLY realized how adequate our MK1's really are and BINGO,,,, the new detuned 1700cc Vmax motored - fixed fairing Venture dual sport transcontinental touring bike is born!! COME ONNNNNN 5 JUNE!!!!

fixed fairing dual sport transcontinental touring bike

You know that Suzuki has been making one of these for years. It's called a V strom, and you can get it in 650 or 1000 cc's. Got a 650 myself that is now my cross country tourer, and it does it very well. It'll be interesting to see.

fixed fairing dual sport transcontinental touring bike

You know that Suzuki has been making one of these for years. It's called a V strom, and you can get it in 650 or 1000 cc's. Got a 650 myself that is now my cross country tourer, and it does it very well. It'll be interesting to see.

The Vstrom in all it's subjective aesthetic glory is by many accounts one of the finest all-purpose bikes on the road. I was looking for a 1000 before I stumbled upon the Vmax and had an emotional response. If Yamaha makes a liter class dual sport it will have to compete with the BMW GS, Tiger, KTM, TL1000/650 and others I'm forgetting about. I could see more room in the market of large caliber dual sport before another narrow angle twin cruiser/tourer though. It would make more sense.

I don't think there is a need for that. They already have the Super Tenere and the FJ1300. I think that one of those already occupies that space.

Transcontinental seems to be a subjective term, but I think my interpretation of it matches yours. The videos were definitely not eluding to a dual purpose tour machine. I looked to me like they were talking to gen2 owners and HD owners looking for something better.

With Polaris doing so well right now against HD maybe they want to throw their hat into that ring. It is a saturated market but there seems to be many buyers for these things.

Creating a new model with this much hype for liter+ tour bikes that can do single tracks seems like an exercise in futility considering the narrow demographic and extremely competent competition. If Yamaha introduced a cheaper, less finicky model to compete with a GS1200 it would have my attention, but I think the buyers they are trying to get excited about this would be seriously disappointed in a dual sport of any kind.

Edited by CaseyJ955

Personally, I can't see a dual sport being any good at all for real touring. Transcontinental is not the least subjective, it means transiting the continent and since we in North America have paved roads that go all the way across and up and down the coasts and even diagonally, no off road capabilities are required.

As I have said before, the FJ 1300 could easily be factory modded into a very capable touring bike. With better HP than the Venture, 140 HP, although a bit high revving is probably quite adequate for long distances. All it would take is to make the rear longer to fit a real passenger seat with trunk and drop those silly exhausts down to parallel to the road so decent sized side bags could be attached close to the bike instead of 6 inches out. Not to forget about moving the foot pegs to a more neutral position. Yamaha would then have a modern version of the great idea they came up with in 1983. Probably the same could be said for the V-Strom.

Not to deny the value of a cruiser style MC like the RSV, with a lightened up fixed fairing with the V-Max engine would work very too.