IGNORED

hot weather riding...helmet and clothing

mcompton1973

OK, So one of my fears when I got my 1st gen bike was with all the fairings etc...riding in the hot weather.

I am wondering what kind of helmet you wear, and what kind of protective clothing do you ride in.

right now I ride in a 3/4 helmet....but its hot (it was also super cheap) I like the protection of full face...but do better brands allow more air flow?

OK, So one of my fears when I got my 1st gen bike was with all the fairings etc...riding in the hot weather.

I am wondering what kind of helmet you wear, and what kind of protective clothing do you ride in.

right now I ride in a 3/4 helmet....but its hot (it was also super cheap) I like the protection of full face...but do better brands allow more air flow?

Mcompton,

As for me and my wife, we wear all of the gear. I wear a Tourmaster vented jacket and Draggin Jeans. My wife wears a Firstgear vented jacket and dragging jeans. We both wear Nolan N43 helmets. I wear the chin bar, my wife is crazy claustrophobic and will sometimes wear the chin bar, and other times not. I always wear one of the 3 pair of high quality riding gloves. In the past few years, she has been wearing gloves as well.

The first few years we had our bike, we wore half helmets, and most of times wouldn't wear a jacket or anything. I wore riding gloves, but my wife wouldn't. We really bought into the notion that bike riding should feel free and open as much as possible. Well, what changed all of that for us was, we were out riding one day and came upon a couple that was riding 2 up on a Goldwing. They were in a medium sweeper curve running about 50mph, hit some gravel that had been spilled out into the road from a driveway and went down. When we came upon them, it had just happened, and they were both kind of crawling around in the road moaning and the lady was weeping pretty loud. She was only wearing a short sleeved shirt, and her arm from the elbow up to the shoulder was bad. All of the skin had been ground off, and it was for lack of a better word, gross. The palms of her hands were blistered red from sliding on the road without gloves. The man jeans had been torn open from the knee down to his riding boot, and his leg was skinless and bleeding horribly. They were both wearing half helmets with no face protection, and his chin had taken a hard hit from the pavement and it was going to require reconstructive work.

The whole scene shook us so much that we started from that point wearing the correct gear. Even when its hot. Yes, its miserable at times, but We've seen the alternative. It aint pretty.

Big Lenny

I will confess that when it gets warm I tend to loose the gloves and just go with jeans and boots. I always without exception wear a proper full face, Ive always spent the scratch on decent lids and they vent well but when it hits triple digits its way hot with or without a lid. I can only remember a couple times when It was just too hot to wear a lid, I then considered it too hot to ride. I live where traffic is only bad in town and all the open roads let you keep moving so even in heat its okay. I almost never put the visor down while riding the Venture. I like the fresh air coming in. There are no adult helmet laws in this state (as should be the case for all states) but I would NEVER go anywhere naked headed for any reason. Even a 3/4 leaves too much of your melon unprotected, but sure better than not. I will bend on some things, which I know is less than ideal but never compromise on head gear. A lot of guys here ride with chaps, vest and a dew rag and they look like members of the The Village People ( you young guys can youtube search that!) haha. I know that you didnt ask this but a white lid seems a little better in heat and much more visible than please-kill-me-with-your-car-cuz-u-didnt-see-me flat black.

I have a heavy leather with kevlar elbows and shoulders and for hot days a vented mesh jacket with se elbow/shoulder protection. Its actually better than just a sleeved shirt for comfort in heat. I guess if there is any take away here its that warm weather gear is very good and never buy a cheap lid, never buy only part of a lid.

I have no intention of riding without a helmet. I have a full face one now, but a cheaper one. Its hot...no other way to say it. lol.

What do you think of your mesh jacket? Can you wear something like that over a t-shirt?

I work in khaki shorts and a polo...(sales) wondering if I wore mesh if I could wear it right over my work cloths?

I am in Oklahoma...so 80-100 is pretty much normal temps. That said, almost zero stop and go...its an hour of highway to work and an hour back.

I have no intention of riding without a helmet. I have a full face one now, but a cheaper one. Its hot...no other way to say it. lol.

What do you think of your mesh jacket? Can you wear something like that over a t-shirt?

I work in khaki shorts and a polo...(sales) wondering if I wore mesh if I could wear it right over my work cloths?

I am in Oklahoma...so 80-100 is pretty much normal temps. That said, almost zero stop and go...its an hour of highway to work and an hour back.

You are forgetting about the horrid humidity....

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

All the gear, all the time. Whatever the temp, I wear kevlar long johns under my jeans, kevlar socks, armored jacket, leather gloves, and full face helmet. Total overkill until something happens. FYI - I've been riding for 46 years with no smashups.

As a bad example of what can happen, about a year ago my sister-in-law's brother was riding in a rural area when a truck pulled out of a field just in front of the bike riders. A few guys went down, including him. Leg and foot ground down and eventually amputated. Just got to see him and his new metal leg a couple of weeks ago. Kinda limps along with a cane. He was a professional truck driver and never wore anything special for riding his bike. He felt that it was under control and with his driving record, it was obviously true. Right until it wasn't.

Was out riding this afternoon with some friends and the road was blocked by cop cars and an ambulance. Bike down a few yards off in a field. No idea of the cause. Ya just never know.

I suggest that you find gear that you can live with. And then just use the stuff.

zag

Edited by zagger

Hi mcompton1973

I do a fair amount of riding in Arizona and I find the more I'm covered up the better my body is able to handle the sun and heat. I know that sounds counter-intuitive, but if you watch all the guys and gals that have "real jobs" working outside in Arizona they are not wearing shorts and halter tops, rather they are always covered from head to toe.

I'm currently in the process of preparing for a long ride this year from Alberta Canada to Phoenix AZ. Because of the diverse geographical locations, I'm trying to prepare for both chilly and HOT weather along the way. I'm using this trip as justification (or excuse as my wife calls it) to buy new gear.....but trying to find that happy medium between cheap price and high quality. Just to let you know I'm also from the "school of thought" to over protect as well as I usually spend the big $$ on quality gear in the past, so this "cheap but good attitude" is a departure from what I usually do. Example, I personally only wear Shoei helmets, but I really don't want to drop $1200 Canadian dollars on a new Shoei Neotec modular helmet if I can get a nice quality but economical modular for this trip to sweat in and abuse along the way.

Here is what I have purchased so far looking for quality, good price, and coolness for those hot miles in the dessart....hope you find it helpful:

1. New mesh jacket with full armour and removable waterproof liner. Super good price and great reviews on Amazon $89.95 USD https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X4XUEH4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 6.35.31 PM.jpg

2. New modular helmet (best of both worlds of a 3/4 and full face helmet at the same time) - I purchased a LS2 Stobe - Flip it up when you are going slow to stay cool - flip it down for protection with good ventilation and built in Sunshields.....DOT and ECER 22 - 05 Approved.....Incredible price on Ebay, ordered from England for $107 USD shipped http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS2-FF-325-Motorbike-Motorcycle-Scooter-Road-Crash-Full-Face-FLIP-UP-DVS-Helmet-/190894305191?var=&hash=item2c722fefa7:m:m1X2qyd_aeIdHon-10YYpBw&vxp=mtr.

For that price, I can get 10 LS2's for the price of a new Shoei! Great reviews on this lid and can go "head to head" (pun intended) with the expensive modular's anytime, check out the video review:

Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 6.41.11 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 6.44.37 PM.jpg

Review of ther best Module helmets for 2017

3. Gloves......I know it is hot but if you go down it is easy to "skin a hand" very quickly! Here are some fully vented gloves for summer riding I bought for the trip for an economical price.....plus they have material on the fingers so you can still use your touch devices (GPS, iphone etc) while you are wearing them. They are the "AGV Sport Twist Gloves" and they are relatively cheap and good quality at $49 Canadian Dollars (you can probably get them much cheaper in the beautiful USA!) https://fortnine.ca/en/agv-sport-twist-gloves

Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 6.55.08 PM.jpg

4. I'm using my "Old" motorcycle boots so I don't need to buy a new pair of those.

5. I'm still undecided about pants. I usually only wear a pair of sturdy jeans, but I think those will heat up pretty quick, therefore I haven't decided if I should buy a pair of mesh riding pants, special reinforced "riding jeans" or kevlar "long johns" under my regular jeans. I would love to hear what other members recommend on this topic as well.

Hope that helps with your gear decisions!

Edited by VanRiver

Let me know what you think of the LS2. I was looking at that very helmet as well.

Some people are not fans of the modular ones...I am not sure why not though

Some think it gives you false sense of having a full face helmet... I would hope the front latches good... I haven't found a full face that fits me had one but it got moldy? After flooding don't know if its fixable or not but it was hot and almost caused me to get plowed by a truck

.. So I been wearing half helmet. Would rather full face. But need to see cages coming off to the sides...

So far I like the helmet! I STRONGLY suggest you go one size bigger in the LS2 compared to what you usually wear in other brands. I take a perfect size "large" in ALL Shoei models, but I should have gotten the XL in the LS2 (that seems to be the feedback from most reviewer of this helmet online as well to up size, but I didn't listen). It still fits, just a bit more snug than I usually wear my lids....it will take some time for me to "break in" the pads to get it perfect.

Build quality is excellent especially for the price. The Flip mechanism is nice and smooth.......but I have been spoiled by past higher end helmets so I can definitely identify areas that could be upgraded including a better ventilation exhaust system out the back to draw more air out. But you can't expect the features of a $1000 helmet for $107 bucks!

I do like the flip down tinted "goggle" shades. I have never had a helmet with "internal sunglasses" before and I really like the concept!

I also have my Sena Bluetooth communicator installed on the left side and my Sena Prism tube video camera installed on the right, and even with all these accessories installed the helmet is comfortable, quiet, and very practical for different riding conditions.

Plus if you only get one season out of this lid or don't like it, then you don't have to kick yourself too much since the investment is minimal! You can always use it as a passenger helmet instead.

Let me know what you think of the LS2. I was looking at that very helmet as well.

Some people are not fans of the modular ones...I am not sure why not though

I have 2 helmets. A Bell Mag 9 and a Scorpion shorty. I use to wear the shorty a lot when I traveled 90 miles back and forth to airport for work. But on trips I always use the Bell, its a 3/4. I'm just so use to the Bell now and having the clear shield and drop down sun shade is nice. Shorty gloves some and some perforated leather jobs some. I have a mesh Tourmaster jacket I wear often but not all the time. I also have a neon green mesh vest I tend to wear or some of those neon green arm sleeves to keep sun off my arms.

We ride with full gear all the time. There are many mesh clothing options now available for hot period of the year. Also use evaporative clothing when extremely hot. Essentially its an undershirt that wicks water and slowly releases it through evaporation as you ride. As for helmets, mainly use a half helmet with good ear protection when its hot as full face is too hot.

Edited by Bert2006

I dumped my Venture at highway speed in 2012. I found some scratch-and-patch road construction that wasn't signed that I saw. I here because I was wearing full gear. Still spent 13 weeks in hospital.

After some extensive repair to the bike, BIG V and I are still on the road (still in full gear)

I've always ridden with a full face helmet. I'm used to it and don't feel restricted for visibility. I find Shoei fits me well - protecting my head is worth the cost. Nancy recently went to a modular helmet and seems like a good idea but as mentioned, how strong is the lock if you land on your chin?

I always wear Original S.W.A.T. boots, no matter how cold or warm it is. I find them comfortable, light, and provides ankle protection. I can wear them all day with no sweating.

Jackets are Tourmaster... mesh outer, rain and separate thermal liners. One jacket, multiple riding conditions whether hot, cold, or wet. I always wear my jacket even for short rides or extremely hot conditions.

When it is cold or distance riding I'll wear my chaps. Short rides (like to work or around town) it will be jeans but then it is usually city speeds.

Gloves - four options. Thermal for cold riding, full leather for intermediate temperatures, waterproof textile gloves for rain, and fingerless gloves for hot weather. Even the fingerless gloves provide an extra layer of leather for the palms which is what you'll instinctively land on if you go down.

Riding in hot weather on a 1st gen. Hmm...

1: Boots. Combat boots work as they usually can protect your ankles. The soles may be OK if they are oil resistant and have nice heels. You want the boots to grip. As tall as you can stand is best too. Ohio state troopers wear hard leather boots that go to just under the knee when bent. For a reason. I had a pair and went down hard in Boston traffic. The boots took most of the abuse as well as my dad's WW2 leather jacket. He was mad the jacket was shredded. But pleased my back was fine...not a scratch.

2: Helmet, modular at the minimum. I have 3, they are noisier than full face, but I love the ability to raise the front lid when fueling up. Or just taking a break. Ventilation doesn't seem to go with price. I have a cheap Bilt that has more ventilation that another helmet twice it's price. Who knows. Most important is the fit! If the helmet fits well, then a little heat is not an issue. If the helmet is to tight...throw it out as the headaches are not worth it! An added benefit to many new helmets today is the internal sun visor. Worth it's weight in gold! I love being able to raise and lower it as the sun and clouds change the lighting. Kinda hard to take off sunglasses at 70 mph!

3: Jacket. VanRiver has it right. I've lived in Arizona for almost 50 years(Yikes!) and always rode with full clothes. I own 2 leather jackets and 2 mesh jackets. What gets used the most is the mesh with the warmth liner. BTW, there is a study on the internet somewhere that shows how a full leather jacket is actually better for you in the heat than a mesh. Yes it's better for protection, but also supposedly better for heat. Yea you get hot in the leather, but the leather keeps the hot wind off of you. Hot wind will dehydrate you faster than anything else, causing severe distress. Seriously, it's better to sweat than get heat stroke. BTW, most people, having never had heat stroke...will get it without realizing it...and that's where the trouble begins....and ends. I know heat stroke and choose to ride with mesh. I simply stop and hydrate all the time and keep an eye out for symptoms of HE.

4: Pants. Two thoughts here: A: ride with under armor under your jeans or B: ride with leathers, chaps or reinforced jeans with armor. Neither one is going to give you air flow. So it's really your choice here. And the choice is road rash or broken bones. Only good leather or chaps with protect from road rash but not broken bones. And the under armor and jeans is great for bones but not so much for rash. See what I mean? I'm sure there are some clothes out there that will do both. But they are going to be pricey! Again your choice. Either way you will have hot legs....

5. !st gen. Install some highway pegs on her. That alone with help cool you off when riding. It puts your legs in the airflow as well as diverts more air to your body. Also, don't forget to close the vents on either side of the motor. They keep the motor heat off the legs when closed. I call those my heaters...as they work great to provide heat when open as I ride around in the winter!

6: Wet vest. Get one. Yea, the cheapies will work even if they initially get your clothes wet too. But lets face it, wet clothes with hot wind means cool! At least until it drys out. The higher priced spreads can be either water based or chemical based and last longer. Worth the price.

My .02cents....

What about boots?

I always wear my old combat boots from the Marines with steal toes.

Is that ok? Is there anything really special about "motorcycle boots" ?

I have been trying to find steal toe and plated so far I have taken 4 pair back due to poor design.. Need to find army surplus because I know they have to have good quality there..

My 86' never felt hot riding it, here in florida. As to gear, i ride every day almost every where except the supermarket and Legion nights. I wear a half helmet and good sturdy shoes. I don't know that boots are always necessary, but that's a personal preference. i have leather full gloves for cooler weather and leather palm half gloves for when its warm. But not always on.

I'll admit that I do ride in shorts and short sleeved shirts. Here again, I'm not against those that feel more is better. I've tried fuel face helmets off and on over the years and they just ain't for me. I think what you feel the most comfortable in is good. Being in control and aware is worth more than anything you can wear. I've seen too many squids wearing body arm full face helmets and jack boots doing wheel stands at 60mph, then see them on the news being scrapped off the pavements.

Well, I am amassing my gear.

I bought the LS2 Strobe in white off Ebay, it just got here.

I have my combat boots which are heavy leather, protection for the ankle etc.

Now I need to find gloves, and mesh jacket and over pants for the Summer.

I will probably switch to leather and chaps in the winter. In the summer there are times I would like to ride it to work, and my daily "uniform" if you will is a polo and shorts. So if I can wear protective gear over that, would be better than changing whole outfits probably.

Now I need to find gloves, and mesh jacket and over pants for the Summer.

I will probably switch to leather and chaps in the winter. In the summer there are times I would like to ride it to work, and my daily "uniform" if you will is a polo and shorts. So if I can wear protective gear over that, would be better than changing whole outfits probably.

My preference is chaps for year round riding protection. Not because they offer the best protection but because they are the most convenient way to get reasonable protection. It only takes a minute to put them on or take them off so after riding to work it is not necessary to get changed. Chaps are not particularly hot in summer because the body core is not covered. They are not at all warm in the winter for the same reason but do cut the wind. Can't see any point in getting lined chaps. They are not water proof and are particularly annoying in the rain because water running off your coat is funneled to your crotch.

To handle dampish weather a pair of splash pants under the chaps works well enough. For drizzle or light rain put the splash pants over the chaps. For real rain use rain gear for waterproofing over the chaps which still provide good abrasion protection. If the weather is hot enough to require shorts then chaps will also be a convenient and useful choice.

Chaps are great for commuting or short trips because they are easy. When on a trip perhaps the better protection of dedicated riding or mesh pants might be the preferred choice. To me, there is no difference between short trips or long trips when it comes to wearing protection because the unthinkable can happen at any time and is more likely to happen around town than on the highway.

I have been trying to find steal toe and plated so far I have taken 4 pair back due to poor design.. Need to find army surplus because I know they have to have good quality there..

S.W.A.T. makes green patch (construction grade) boots that are identical to the motorcycle boots but have a composite safety toe. Doesn't get cold or hot. Very comfortable boot. When I ride to work these are what I wear. They only weigh 51 oz. As for plated :

• LENZI® non-metallic L-Protection® anti-penetration board keeps your feet safe from puncture dangers with pre-treated ceramic and high tenacity fibers

http://www.originalswat.com/ca_en/product-classic-9-safety-black.html

Now those would be worth trying out, not a bad price for what they are. Now the reason I wanted steal plated bottoms, I have a habit of stepping on things that litterally ruin anyones day. Come on I was 13 and was walking around with a friend on his moms place and managed to get a jaw bone stuck in my foot and Doctor litterally had to use pliers to pull it out. Then another time simply off in a ditch somewhere taking a leak and ended up stepping on some kind of nail and that getting stuck in my foot. If its there to be stepped on I will step on it, plus a little less flex if things get hairy..