IGNORED

Starter question

I picked up a 1990 Venture last week for $50! I got it started and the engine sounds good. However, it sounds like either the starter or starter clutch is bad. It sounds like a car starter drive gear that kicks out. I have never worked on these starters so does it have a bendix gear or do I have a starter drive issue? Thanks

:scared:Fiddy bucks = OUTSTANDING!!!!! My kinda,, YEEEEHAWWWWW - LOOK TIPPY - 50 BUCKS AND WE ARE RIDING FOR ANOTHER 250K deal!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

:big-grin-emoticon:,, to get to your question,,, no, unfortuneatly our scoots dont employ a bendix in the starter system - Mom Yam tried that in the Virago line and it didnt fair very well.. Godlover, with our bikes and the V-max (probably others too) Yamaha went with a starter clutch system. Basically your starter has a spline on the end of its armature shaft, that spline drives a couple idler gears which mate with a large gear which spins inside of,,,, easier to show you = heres a link to it: http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1989/VENTURE+ROYALE+-+XVZ13DW/STARTER+CLUTCH/parts.html

If it was mine I would start the repair by pulling the stator cover like I was putting a new stator in it.. I might be an idler but more likely the clutch (starter clutch) assembly. Prepare to do battle with flywheel removal if thats the case - that will be the funnest part of the journey IMHO..

GOOD FIND and God bless in the repair journey!!

Puc

If it is the starter clutch that went bad, it usually sounds like someone is inside of the engine with a hammer trying to get out. It does this while cranking.

You can replace all of the starter clutch parts with OEM, but you will be back in there replacing them again, and again. OR you can contact member @Dano, he replaces the stock 3 roller clutch with an 18 roller clutch and it will never fail again. Costs a bit more up front, but pays for itself by the second start clutch replacement. I have the 2nd one that Dano ever did many years ago.

If it is the starter clutch that went bad, it usually sounds like someone is inside of the engine with a hammer trying to get out. It does this while cranking.

You can replace all of the starter clutch parts with OEM, but you will be back in there replacing them again, and again. OR you can contact member Dano, he replaces the stock 3 roller clutch with an 18 roller clutch and it will never fail again. Costs a bit more up front, but pays for itself by the second start clutch replacement. I have the 2nd one that Dano ever did many years ago.

I figured that's what it was and now I need to decide if the bike is worth dumping money into. I got it running but don't know if it has other issues. Apparently it sat outside some. Seat shot, paint ugly, and so on. We will see! It is a bit rough.

Make sure you have a good battery and the connections are good. I have had a bad sound because of a bad battery before.

If you jump start it to test it from a car or truck don't turn the car or truck on could overpower the bikes systems.

IF the battery is not it, see above.

Make sure you have a good battery and the connections are good. I have had a bad sound because of a bad battery before.

If you jump start it to test it from a car or truck don't turn the car or truck on could overpower the bikes systems.

IF the battery is not it, see above.

Brand new battery. When it catches it turns over plenty fast.

$50 !!!!

What a find......

I think it would be worth putting a few bux in it, to check it out. Even with $500.00 in it, you should be able to get that back from selling parts.

Here's hoping you found a gem, and very little effort brings lots of smiles!