IGNORED

AGM Batteries

GeorgeS

Shopping for a --- DEKA AGM --- battery this morning. Just stumbled on the fact that " LOWES " is

carrying the DEKA agm batteries. ( at least here in the seattle area )

Who would have guessed that

They have the YTX -20LBS for $87 bucks. These are the U.S. made good ones.

Made in Pa.

Shopping for a --- DEKA AGM --- battery this morning. Just stumbled on the fact that " LOWES " is

carrying the DEKA agm batteries. ( at least here in the seattle area )

Who would have guessed that

They have the YTX -20LBS for $87 bucks. These are the U.S. made good ones.

Made in Pa.

And Vets get 10 per cent off!!!:Avatars_Gee_George:

Good Info... So I do a DEKA Lowes google and the first thing that pops up is a 1000amp Marine battery. I just bought an El Cheapo marine from a local store to get things started on the boat project... go figure!! So Lowes will be my first stop when it comes time to put in some real cajones batteries... Thanks for the heads up George... I wonder how amps equates into CCA's??

Another source for the Deka is Mills Fleet Farm as their Road Runner line of AGM batteries is also manufactured by East Penn Manufacturing who makes the Deka line of batteries. I peal a sticker off the Road Runner box to find a Deka label under it on the box just to make sure.

Rick F.

Good Info... So I do a DEKA Lowes google and the first thing that pops up is a 1000amp Marine battery. I just bought an El Cheapo marine from a local store to get things started on the boat project... go figure!! So Lowes will be my first stop when it comes time to put in some real cajones batteries... Thanks for the heads up George... I wonder how amps equates into CCA's??

But at the bottom of the listing it says they will not be in stock until, 7 May, 2017. I missed that the first time I saw the listing.

I just typed in the search " batteries" , scrolled down thru all the flashlite batteries, and it is shown at the bottom of the page.

Looks like they have

As to Amps, or CCA, I have not found a battery that is higher then the DEKA, AGM's. The ETX-20L size for Venture's, is listed

as a 310 CCA. The largest they are going to carry is the 400 CCA, they have 4 size's, the 310 is the smallest size.

Also, of note few years back I bought an AGM for my son's CX-500, it came from China, only lasted about 3 months !! and crapped out.

The DEKA's from Penn. are the ones you want !!

Edited by GeorgeS

But at the bottom of the listing it says they will not be in stock until, 7 May, 2017. I missed that the first time I saw the listing.

I just typed in the search " batteries" , scrolled down thru all the flashlite batteries, and it is shown at the bottom of the page.

Looks like they have

As to Amps, or CCA, I have not found a battery that is higher then the DEKA, AGM's. The ETX-20L size for Venture's, is listed

as a 310 CCA. The largest they are going to carry is the 400 CCA, they have 4 size's, the 310 is the smallest size.

Also, of note few years back I bought an AGM for my son's CX-500, it came from China, only lasted about 3 months !! and crapped out.

The DEKA's from Penn. are the ones you want !!

I believe the EXT18 DEKA's, for the 1stGen's, are rated at 330 cca's. A little higher than the EXT20L, and it's probably because of the height as it's taller than the 20 so slightly larger plates??. But who's quibbling over a few cca's... :-) BTW the 20 will fit in the 1stGen's and give a little more room for another do-dad.... I just find it strange that the industry has gone to an amp rating rather than the old CCA. The old Interstate that I pulled out of the boat was rated at 1000 amps. So it's been going on for a while...

Maybe the CCA vs. total amp capacity is based on whether it is a starting battery or a deep cycle battery? One needs to be able to discharge quicker (safer) and the other need more total storage.

Maybe... But the Marine Interstate that I replaced was labeled as a starting battery and rated in amps??.... I guess the question would be is... how long will an amp last at a particular load?? Confusing...

So I did a little poking around and found this:

The standard BCI CCA rating is at 0 degs. F (about -18C) whereas Marine Cranking Amps are at 32 degs.... Deep cycle batteries are generally rated in amp-hours at a C/20 discharge rate, which means 1/20 of the battery capacity for 20 hours until the battery reaches 1.75 volts per cell.

Edited by Condor