IGNORED

Cruise control not working

I'm only bringing this up because I'm getting desperate I have put my third CPU on the cruise control now still not working so I have ruled out the CPU I put an ohmmeter on the wire from the read switch at the CPU and when I rotate the front tire it goes from 0 ohms to 4.7 k-ohms.if I measure it at the plug coming from the instrument cluster it goes from zero to infinity like the service manual says it should I assume the extra resistance is from the auto canceling blinker system has anyone ever measured the ohms at the CPU of their cruise control is it zero to infinity or similar resistance like I have . I have manually operated the vacuum pump with a battery and it all works great will hold the throttle ar wide open for 10 minutes if I allow it no leak downs . I just can't believe I can't get this working I feel like I have exhausted every Avenue there is

I took some pictures of the speedo area of my 89 while I was in there working on the lighting.

There are 2 wires coming out of the speedo area. Have you traced them down and see what they are? I "assume" they are the wires for the cruise control from the speedo/odo unit.

They go to two separate connectors a few inches down from the instrument cluster then into the wiring loom.

First picture I'm pointing to the speedo/odo portion of the instrument cluster and the two wires coming out.

20170520_133118.jpg

This pic is of the connectors. I wasn't smart enough to verify the color codes of the wires, (green/white and black???) but since there are only 2 of them, the wiring diagram should be able to tell you.

20170520_133140.jpg

Don't know if this helps.....but I'm at a loss as to why your system doesn't work. I keep going back to a pinched or broken/corroded wire/connector or a momentary glitch in the circuit that cuts off the cruise while you are riding. Has to be....can't think of anything else that will cause your symptoms....

Sorry I'm out of ideas...

I was rereading the thread and wonder, do you ever see the "ON" light on when you push the power button?

I was looking over the service manual for the cruise control system and thought we should verify the lights for the housing. You will need to remove the housing with the lights and power switch first and check to make sure the lights are in the correct location. The on light, which is blue light, has black wire connected to it, the set light, green light, has blue/black wire and the resume light, amber light, has a blue/green wire connected to it. It appears that power is supplied to the lights by a red/blue wire. I would check and make sure that the light bulbs are correctly plugged into their sockets so we know that we are seeing the correct lights lite. The set and resume light are routed to the cruise control unit which is that activates them by grounding the circuit.

I would also remove the wire connector from the cruise control unit and ohm out the wires for the set and resume switch on the handle bar. Connect on lead to the red/blue wire and the other lead to the green/white and see if you have an open or closed circuit. If it is an open, slide the to the set side of the switch and see what happens. It should show a closed/short/ 0 ohm, if not sounds like a issue with the switch or wires for it.

Move the lead from the green/white over to the green/blue wire and see if you have an open, if you do slide the switch over to the resume/accel position and see if it is now a closed/shorted indicator.

I would also test the cancel button per the instructions on page 7-147 of the service manual. What you are looking for is 12 volts between the black/red and black wires and then pushing the cancel button, the voltages drops to 0 volts.

I am thinking we just need to start back at the beginning and see if we have missed anything.

Let us know what you find out and good luck.

Rick F.

So technically I'm not 100% ledhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170521/0facbfc73c4f6e4ea2f645f3a6acab18.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170521/9008c809d0b4c52689efcb5b81924ee4.jpg

Sent from my LG-K371 using Tapatalk

Good. thanks for the correction. So where are the wires on the cluster that head to the cruise control? Need to find those so he can do some more tracing...

Good. thanks for the correction. So where are the wires on the cluster that head to the cruise control? Need to find those so he can do some more tracing...

I don't know I have a silver lever for my cruise... Wonder if it is wired thru the canceling unit of the motorcycle I know there is some kind of sensor there so the bike knows when its in motion...

That item is the Speedometer sensor what is use to detect how fast you are moving. It appears to be a reed switch that makes and breaks the circuit to ground. The speedometer have a magnet in it that is closing the circuit and the cruise control unit is counting the pulses to determine speed. This enters the cruise control unit on the white/green wire.

Rick F.

So technically I'm not 100% ledhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170521/0facbfc73c4f6e4ea2f645f3a6acab18.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170521/9008c809d0b4c52689efcb5b81924ee4.jpg

That item is the Speedometer sensor what is use to detect how fast you are moving. It appears to be a reed switch that makes and breaks the circuit to ground. The speedometer have a magnet in it that is closing the circuit and the cruise control unit is counting the pulses to determine speed. This enters the cruise control unit on the white/green wire.

Rick F.

I honestly thought this was a light. It really looks like one, so are you saying I am 100% LED

Yes it does go to the canceling unit, least on the 86-93 MKII as that is the only manual I have to check with. But I would venture to guess that it is that way on the 83-85 MKI also.

Rick F.

Well my apologies, Now why would I need a speed sensor or is this what goes to my cancelling unit for the turn signals?

• 2 months later...

Not sure if you fix this or not have the same problem took off the blinker on the right side as it turns out the hose that goes into the pump was cracked and off once I plugged it in cruise control started working but every time I hit a bump it goes off but it does set

• 1 year later...
I'm only bringing this up because I'm getting desperate I have put my third CPU on the cruise control now still not working so I have ruled out the CPU I put an ohmmeter on the wire from the read switch at the CPU and when I rotate the front tire it goes from 0 ohms to 4.7 k-ohms.if I measure it at the plug coming from the instrument cluster it goes from zero to infinity like the service manual says it should I assume the extra resistance is from the auto canceling blinker system has anyone ever measured the ohms at the CPU of their cruise control is it zero to infinity or similar resistance like I have.

I noticed the same thing in my troubleshooting. If I stab the cruise control connector and spin the front wheel, it varies from 0 ohms to 4.7K ohms rather than infinity. I'm using a Fluke digital multimeter so I'm presuming that's a digital fluke (no pun intended) rather than the reading one might get while using an old analog needle multimeter.

Cruise2.JPG

• 2 years later...