IGNORED

Things you don't see in the city

Sailor

We have a welcome sign at one side of our front door and a couple fake palm trees wrapped in lights at the other side. About 3 years ago hummingbirds built a nest on the welcome sign which is just a few feet from the door. Last December a cougar killed and ate half a deer then stashed the rest under our deck intending to return for it later. The cougar was probably pissed off when Janet made me take the carcass to the dump. Now I am watching two birds building a nest in the fake palm trees. They are right next to the door. Can't wait to see what happens next.

I see deer, turkey, rabbits and squirrels sharing the same patch of ground to eat crumbs and seed on my deck. I hear quite a few things at night although its usually quiet. I hear the breeze in the pines, if its still I can hear the creek babbling. The sky is blue, really blue and I can see the stars at night as if they were low enough to touch. The air smells and taste great. Woodpeckers do attack my house and chipmunks eat vacuum lines and wires but its a small price. I will never ever move back to a city, ill do all that I can to avoid even visiting a city. Some folks are able to bear it but im not one of those. Every moment in a city is like extreme punishment, maybe the most unpleasant thing I have to do is go anywhere big enough to have a walmart.

Life is too short to be unhappy with where you live.

Deer eating the crab apples in the side yard, wood peckers echoing thru the neighborhood,Great horned owls calling. Sandhill cranes, mountain lion taking a walk with us( I was a little nervous on that one).Elk down in B-i-l's hay field. Great. Eagles in Migration, did you know Vultures migrate?

We have a welcome sign at one side of our front door and a couple fake palm trees wrapped in lights at the other side. About 3 years ago hummingbirds built a nest on the welcome sign which is just a few feet from the door. Last December a cougar killed and ate half a deer then stashed the rest under our deck intending to return for it later. The cougar was probably pissed off when Janet made me take the carcass to the dump. Now I am watching two birds building a nest in the fake palm trees. They are right next to the door. Can't wait to see what happens next.

LMAO... Wonderful story Sailor! :beer: Ya! that deer might have gotten a bit smelly! lol

We are currently looking at real estate listings in the hopes of moving to SSI but wow! some of the prices! :no-no-no:

Where we live now in Mission, we do get Humming birds, (saw one in Feb. poor little guy) very occasional deer, black bears (often), coyotes (often) & frogs (every year), love to fall asleep with the window open & the ribbit ribbit in the background. Love 'em all.

One year we watched a black bear eat a LOT of our windfall apples, we could see him getting more & more "drunk" till he literally just fell over & went to sleep, he was there for four or five hours "sleeping it off"

Also had woodpeckers hammering on our metal Flue pipe to announce his presence to all the "ladypeckers"

We get a lot of eagles and some Ospreys out on the lake. There are beavers, turtles and swans there as well.I loved my job in the city (Vancouver) but I just could not stand living there any more. Have never regretted moving to Saltspring. City slickers who come to visit are unnerved by the silence, overwhelmed by the stars and delighted by the deer. Us country folk sure have it good. One of my favorite songs is Valdys " Country Man". Gotta watch out though, might be a "silver tongued devil"

banging on the door sometime this summer.

My home town doesn't have a paved street, all gravel. River 2 miles from my house is starting to flood. Fisherman are on every bridge. Saw a newborn calf tonight at my cousins farm. Watched 100's of thousands of geese migrating through last week. That means several bald eagles following the geese. Had to stop in road tonight and wait for 5 deer the walk into my trees.

Pretty random observations, but I wouldn't trade where I live for anything.

We get a lot of eagles and some Ospreys out on the lake. There are beavers, turtles and swans there as well.I loved my job in the city (Vancouver) but I just could not stand living there any more. Have never regretted moving to Saltspring. City slickers who come to visit are unnerved by the silence, overwhelmed by the stars and delighted by the deer. Us country folk sure have it good. One of my favorite songs is Valdys " Country Man". Gotta watch out though, might be a "silver tongued devil"

banging on the door sometime this summer.

ya think? LOL

He'll be looking to park that big new camper on your front lawn! :banana: :canada:lol

I was born in Galahad Alberta. Dirt street and board sidewalk. On Saturday night they would pin a bed sheet on the back wall of the store and show a movie. When my dad was overseas in the war we lived with relatives in Alabama which is where I learned to talk. When he came back we returned to Canada but on the coast. Dad was from England so had an English accent. When that got crossed up with my Alabama accent everyone thought I was from Australia. Love the small towns. Last October I had a full knee replacement in the Hospital in Duncan. When I went in the anesthetist said " I know you, broken ankle, last year, motorcycle accident". When I went into the recovery room the nurse said the same thing.

He'll be looking to park that big new camper on your front lawn! :banana: :canada:lol

His "front lawn" (or maybe it's his back lawn as I don't recall there was much of a front lawn) is a field that is not exactly level as I recall. (and I stand corrected lol)

As for fields, one experience is one too many! LOL

IMG_7258 (Medium).jpg

Last October I had a full knee replacement in the Hospital in Duncan. When I went in the anesthetist said " I know you, broken ankle, last year, motorcycle accident". When I went into the recovery room the nurse said the same thing.

Kerry, you are simply an unforgettable person :whistling:

I was born in Galahad Alberta. Dirt street and board sidewalk. On Saturday night they would pin a bed sheet on the back wall of the store and show a movie. When my dad was overseas in the war we lived with relatives in Alabama which is where I learned to talk. When he came back we returned to Canada but on the coast. Dad was from England so had an English accent. When that got crossed up with my Alabama accent everyone thought I was from Australia. Love the small towns. Last October I had a full knee replacement in the Hospital in Duncan. When I went in the anesthetist said " I know you, broken ankle, last year, motorcycle accident". When I went into the recovery room the nurse said the same thing.

Had to smile at that, I'm from England too but sometimes get asked if I'm Australian. I don't think I sound anything like an Aussie. Lot of folks think people from South Africa are Aussie too. Funny thing accents, in the UK you can drive 40 miles & people have a different one.

SilvrT that field sure does look messy.

Was in the Midlands, England several years ago. Stopped in a little pub in a small town. I do mean little, the bar was all of 6 ft long and it had one table with just enough room for a couple pints. Git talking to a patron there. Had such a heavy accent I could not understand a word but kept smiling and talking anyway. We enjoyed ourselves. When he left the bartender asked if I had understood any of it. I said " Not a word." He said "Oh thank goodness, he has been here 5 years and no one can understand a thing he says"

Hey Rick, you can park in our yard if you don't mind being at a 40 degree angle.

Hey Rick, you can park in our yard if you don't mind being at a 40 degree angle.

heh, I don't think my leveling jacks can adjust that much!

SilvrT that field sure does look messy.

@Kretz

yup, we got stuck in it. That was the first day when we took delivery. We were taking it to a storage area but it turned out to be this wet, muddy field in some guys back property. NOT what I had envisioned.

Here's the details of that "incident" in case you missed it LOL

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?126605-I-was-gonna-buy-a-Harley-but&p=996492#post996492

Thanks for the link, I had missed that, Just in case, there's a storage lot here in Mission just in the industrial area, almost next to the rail crossing on London Ave. Boats, trailers, other stuff in there. No idea what the costs are, but maybe you have it all sorted now.

Isn't that always the case if you'd wanted to pop that PS hose, it would be impossible to do, but a bit of wood just knocks it off. Anyways glad you got it all sorted out. Have fun!

Thanks for the link, I had missed that, Just in case, there's a storage lot here in Mission just in the industrial area, almost next to the rail crossing on London Ave. Boats, trailers, other stuff in there. No idea what the costs are, but maybe you have it all sorted now.

Isn't that always the case if you'd wanted to pop that PS hose, it would be impossible to do, but a bit of wood just knocks it off. Anyways glad you got it all sorted out. Have fun!

We bought the trailer in Chilliwack ... that storage area was in Surrey/Langley area down around 200th and 36th ... after that incident we hauled it home and parked it overnight in our guest parking area. Next morning I started phoning around ... only place I could find to store it was...... Chilliwack! LOL So it's sitting there in a nice, graveled, secure compound for a nominal fee of $99/month (which, incidentally, was what the jerk with the cow pasture wanted to charge me).

Reason I chose that place (the cow pasture one) was right next door is a large RV storage compound and looking at the address via Google maps, that's where I thought I was putting it. I now wonder how many others have been fooled by that!!