IGNORED

Help What Did I do wrong

Rick Haywood

I replaced the friction plates on the bike today and put it back together and now the clutch handle will not pull. The bike is a 2007 RSV. It does not ever set. I did not touch the clutch lever untill i had the clutch all put back together other than the housing put on. Any hel would be appreciated

I replaced the friction plates on the bike today and put it back together and now the clutch handle will not pull. The bike is a 2007 RSV. It does not ever set. I did not touch the clutch lever untill i had the clutch all put back together other than the housing put on. Any hel would be appreciated

Also I can take all the clutch plates, frictions plates and the clutch spring out and it still will not pull

Rick, if you dont have all the notches lined up right, it wont work, had the same problem on mine. there are a special set of notches on the friction disc that all have to line up right for it too work. Copied this from freebirds writeup.

To reassemble start with one of the 6 friction plates that have the two round notches, alien the two notches with the two marks on the clutch housing, now place a metal plate on the clutch boss, repeat this until you have replaced the 6 plates then take the last plate with the large square notch and alien it with the two marks on the clutch housing . When you put the pressure plate on, alien the mark on the clutch boss with the hole or mark on the pressure plate then place the 6 springs or the diaphragm spring and retainer and tighten the 6 bolts evenly. replace the clutch cover and torque the 5 mm bolts to 8.7 ft-lb. most of the information in this article can be found in a Yamaha service manual that can be purchase through M.T.A. Remember to replace the hydraulic fluid with dot 3 once a year or if turns dark.

Rick

Here is the link to Freebirds write up. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?10518-Clutch-Upgrade

Just follow Freebirds instructions and you will be up and rolling.

Be careful not to tighten the bolts for the spring plate to much. I have written down in my notes that they only need 5,8 f.lbs. but Dragonslayer says 8,7 f.lbs. and he might be right - if you overtighten and brake the bolts/strip the threads (it doesn´t take much) you could be looking at replacing the clutch boss.

It is also a good idea to check the bearing in the pressure plate. Last time I did this upgrade I noticed it was not rolling freely due to som residue/sand sitting in it. I replaced it but most likely it would have been enough to clean it with air and WD40.