LED Headlight

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Leo,

I ordered a pair of H4s on Saturday and they just now emailed and said they don't actually have them and want to refund my money. How about you?

Yup ... same here. Got my email overnight I think. Which is just ridiculous because they told me they had actually shipped.

ill definitely be leaving some feedback

I got the same notice of refund, and for now gave up on LED for the headlight. I had an HID I revived for Christmas 2 yrs back sitting in the workshop so that got wired in this weekend while the front end was off for steering head bearings. Sealed LED spots were delivered yesterday from Amazon. Now I'm just waiting on the new tire since my 1yr old front tire had a 1-1/2" gash ACROSS the tread that is leaking.

A lot of those LED adds still bother me.

When they list the amp draw as a nice small number, and then list the wattage as a big number because many people equate wattage with brightness, but the numbers do not add up.

One place they say 2200 lumens per bulb and another says 4000 per bulb.

They say there are 3 LEDs per bulb, the LED that they are using draws 1.2A each, so 3.6A per bulb,

The LED outputs light at 120° but they claim 360° beam pattern, yet the picture shows the 3 LEDs all in a row pointed the same direction mounted in a metal heatsink, Last I checked Scotty has not yet given us the formula for "transparent aluminum", for the light to shine 360° thru the heatsink.

And now with telling you it is shipped, and then later telling you that it is not in stock. That seller is raising red flags.

For those interested in all the technical dodo here is the data sheet for the LED chip they claim to be using.

When a LED bulb supplier tells me which LED chip they are using, I always look up the specs. If the math don't work, then I have a hard time trusting the parts of their claims that I can not check out.

The LED technology does exist today to equal and possibly exceed the output of a HID system. But I doubt that it will be found first in the bottom end of the price spectrum.

I am hoping the LEDs actually do get as good or better than HID, before my 6 year old HID burns out. They are getting real close.

Unfortunately the place I got my HID from (HID Country) started out as a great place,I bought 7 HIDs from them for various vehicles and they were all great. But they went down hill and changed to all China systems and started ripping people off till they went out of business, reopened under a new name but kept the poor practices and shoddy Chinese junk and again went out of business. Not sure if they have again reopened or not under another new name. Really a shame, they originally had great stuff.

Unfortunately the place I got my HID from (HID Country) started out as a great place,I bought 7 HIDs from them for various vehicles and they were all great. But they went down hill and changed to all China systems and started ripping people off till they went out of business, reopened under a new name but kept the poor practices and shoddy Chinese junk and again went out of business. Not sure if they have again reopened or not under another new name. Really a shame, they originally had great stuff.

I did some research and it looks like they are open now as The Light Pros. I have no info on this new place good or bad. Only that when I entered the HID Country web address this place is what opened.:confused24:

So the broview seems to be the lamp of choice? However in the video it shows that the bulb is rotatable, how do you know if its clocked correctly for you application?

H4 lamps should be a "fixed" for rotation as there are three tabs and one tab is of a different size.

Did all prep work today. Install new LED headlight tomorrow. Had to cut and patch rubber boot a little to accommodate LED housing.

Turns out LED's are not at the top and bottom. Two LED's to left and two LED's to right... Not touching factory alignment.

LED1 (2).jpg

LED2 (2).jpg

Two LED's to left and two LED's to right... Not touching factory alignment.

I was going to make that comment but wanted someone to verify. The original photo the LED's appear to have a "hood" to give a vertical cut-off to the light output.

All right Leo!!! You got your fairing split and back together again!! I knew you could do it!!!

I've been considering a LED headlight for a couple of years now, but never got around to it. So now maybe yours is enough encouragement for me to get around to it!

So I finally got around to installing my HID that had been sitting in a drawer for 2 years and guess what, it has an internal short and drained my battery. LED arrived yesterday. Since I already have a dedicated power feed from the battery to the fairing to power the HID and Spots I guess I'll make a jumper to use the factory socket to trigger a direct feed to the LED; I did the same thing years ago on my old bike running an 80/100 halogen so the battery always got 12v.

• 1 month later...

Revisited headlight today. Ever since I bought RSV, 40K miles ago, headlight has always pointed to the left. Since I don't drive much at night, was not too pressed to address problem. With the changeover to LED headlight, felt pressing need to adjust headlight before going out West for a month. Had to take fairing apart to center the beam, then used external knob to lower the beam. Will see how it looks at night.

Leo, Just curious​ what you had to do to adjust the beam sideways. My 06 has an adjustment screw with a phillips head that you access behind the fairing to the right of the steering neck. (Opposite of the vertical adjuster).