IGNORED

Member In Hospital

bongobobny

I read some shocking news last night on Facebook, our good friend Snaggletooth (Mike Knofler) is in the hospital! From what I understand his pacemaker is acting up, I didn't even know he had one! Anyway, his daughter posted on Facebook that he is doing OK and is resting in the hospital.

So, for those that remember him, I'm sure he would appreciate prayers and good wishes. I know I have enjoyed his friendship through the years! His daughter Ashley said she may join Ventureriders to keep us updated on how he is doing. She says they hope to get him back riding this summer!

I just got an email from Snaggletooth and he brought me up to speed. Back in 2014 he had a heart attack and another in 2016 when they did a couple of stents and installed a pacemaker. Well, somehow he wasn't monitored as well as he should have been, and adjustments were not made, so this February he had heart attack number 3. Also, due to some artery issues, he is also suffering from kidney damage. He is on the mend but still has a long way to go yet so please continue to pray for him!

For those that know him, you know Mike is a really decent guy and a pleasure to know. You may or may not know that Mike is also deaf! I did not know this until about 3 or 4 years ago when he told me. I have neve met him in person but we have been conversing for years through PM's and emails and I feel as we have become close friends! Mike is a very hard working and enthusiastic person and I'm glad to know him!

He promises to keep me up to date, and if he can't then I'm sure his Daughter Ashley will let me know!

I guess I'd like to add a lil to this.. Kind of a cautionary tale.

We've all seen the TV shows and the movies with people having heart attacks. Pretty dramatic to watch. The gasping and screaming. The clutching the chest and the arm thing. Laying on the ground foaming at the mouth. Enough to scare the daylights out of ya ain't it. We've been educated by the media. We know what to expect. The thing is...... after these last three heart events the doctors call heart attacks I've NEVER experienced ANY of these things. Never had ANY kind of pain. Nothing that registered in my mind as a heart attack or anything very serious at all.

The first time I had any problem was back in 2014. I was living out it a remote area here in Nebraska. Five miles from any paved road. At the time I'd been out on the bike for the day and had stopped back at the house and was a lil tired but figured I'd take a walk to stretch out and get a lil blood flowing. I remember sitting down along side of the road and then coming around some time later and i know something was not right. I usually don't take naps in the ditches. Ended up driving myself 20+ miles to a hospital. They told me I'd had a heart attack. Kept me two nights and turned me loose.

Then early 2016 I was with friends in Omaha and got real short winded. Not bad, just felt heavy chested like congested. Was sweating pretty good. My friends were concerned and stuffed me in their car and drove me to the hospital. Next thing I know I'm on my back on a gurney and they are shoving a magic marker note in my face saying "YOU'RE HAVING A HEART ATTACK". (That's part of the fun of being deaf. Always got to wait for the note). Yeah right! LOL. I was mad because somebody had stolen my pants. Again the endless questions about the pain I was experiencing. Again the Nada, zip, zilch. Nothing. But did have two stents put in to keep the blood flowing.

Then in June 2016 I was told I needed an implantable pacemaker to keep my heart in control. Had that done. They told me if there was any failure on my hearts part the pacer would kick in and keep me on beat. They said if when it kicked in it was fell like I got kicked in the chest... Something to look forward to right. They would not allow me to ride my bike because the pacer kicking in might throw me off the bike. Still waiting to feel the thing jump start. Nothing yet.

So this February 2017, another event. Bad enough to score an ambulance ride. Lights and sirens even. It started in the meal wagon.. Where's it hurt? How bad is the pain? On a scale of 1 to 10 how bad is your pain?

Nobody gets it... On that 1 to 10 scale it's a zero. Nuttin honey. Just short of breath and sweating a lil bit.

So this time I ended up in the heart cath lab. Got a full plumbing inspection. They did find one smaller artery 80% blocked and did another stent on that one. They found another larger artery 90% blocked and damaged but put that one on hold until the kidneys clear up a bit and then back to in to do a larger stent on that one. That will be 3 to 5 weeks or more down the road. Then MAYBE I'll start feeling better.

So all I'm saying is if you have any thought in your mind that you'll see it coming, You'll know if something is wrong you might be surprised down the road. Me, I keep track of my blood pressure. stays pretty close to average. I monitor my blood sugar. For a big guy Im usually around 90 to 110. I know where my cholesterol is. I don't drink alcohol, not even coffee.

So if there is any question about something that just don't feel right, some thing that just seems out of the ordinary for your body, any family history that might put you in a risk bracket, take the time to get a complete checkup.

All this had me reflecting on something my family doctor told me in my twenties after an accident that I got up and walked away from, and probably shouldn't have.

He said "You have the pain tolerance of a dead horse." It seems now there might be some truth in that.

I did not think about it at the time but after reading your story I realize it is more common than we think. A close friend of mine and his son were working in the back yard. He suddenly felt tired and decided to sit down for a minute when for no reason he keeled over. The next thing he was aware of was coming too in the ambulance. He was lucky his son was there because by the time the ambulance got there, he was for all intents and purposes dead and the paramedics were there just in time to revive him. He apparently died a second time on the table but was again revived. Not once did he feel anything other than that initial feeling to sit down and take a breather.

I guess I'd like to add a lil to this.. Kind of a cautionary tale.

We've all seen the TV shows and the movies with people having heart attacks. Pretty dramatic to watch. The gasping and screaming. The clutching the chest and the arm thing. Laying on the ground foaming at the mouth. Enough to scare the daylights out of ya ain't it. We've been educated by the media. We know what to expect. The thing is...... after these last three heart events the doctors call heart attacks I've NEVER experienced ANY of these things. Never had ANY kind of pain. Nothing that registered in my mind as a heart attack or anything very serious at all.

The first time I had any problem was back in 2014. I was living out it a remote area here in Nebraska. Five miles from any paved road. At the time I'd been out on the bike for the day and had stopped back at the house and was a lil tired but figured I'd take a walk to stretch out and get a lil blood flowing. I remember sitting down along side of the road and then coming around some time later and i know something was not right. I usually don't take naps in the ditches. Ended up driving myself 20+ miles to a hospital. They told me I'd had a heart attack. Kept me two nights and turned me loose.

Then early 2016 I was with friends in Omaha and got real short winded. Not bad, just felt heavy chested like congested. Was sweating pretty good. My friends were concerned and stuffed me in their car and drove me to the hospital. Next thing I know I'm on my back on a gurney and they are shoving a magic marker note in my face saying "YOU'RE HAVING A HEART ATTACK". (That's part of the fun of being deaf. Always got to wait for the note). Yeah right! LOL. I was mad because somebody had stolen my pants. Again the endless questions about the pain I was experiencing. Again the Nada, zip, zilch. Nothing. But did have two stents put in to keep the blood flowing.

Then in June 2016 I was told I needed an implantable pacemaker to keep my heart in control. Had that done. They told me if there was any failure on my hearts part the pacer would kick in and keep me on beat. They said if when it kicked in it was fell like I got kicked in the chest... Something to look forward to right. They would not allow me to ride my bike because the pacer kicking in might throw me off the bike. Still waiting to feel the thing jump start. Nothing yet.

So this February 2017, another event. Bad enough to score an ambulance ride. Lights and sirens even. It started in the meal wagon.. Where's it hurt? How bad is the pain? On a scale of 1 to 10 how bad is your pain?

Nobody gets it... On that 1 to 10 scale it's a zero. Nuttin honey. Just short of breath and sweating a lil bit.

So this time I ended up in the heart cath lab. Got a full plumbing inspection. They did find one smaller artery 80% blocked and did another stent on that one. They found another larger artery 90% blocked and damaged but put that one on hold until the kidneys clear up a bit and then back to in to do a larger stent on that one. That will be 3 to 5 weeks or more down the road. Then MAYBE I'll start feeling better.

So all I'm saying is if you have any thought in your mind that you'll see it coming, You'll know if something is wrong you might be surprised down the road. Me, I keep track of my blood pressure. stays pretty close to average. I monitor my blood sugar. For a big guy Im usually around 90 to 110. I know where my cholesterol is. I don't drink alcohol, not even coffee.

So if there is any question about something that just don't feel right, some thing that just seems out of the ordinary for your body, any family history that might put you in a risk bracket, take the time to get a complete checkup.

All this had me reflecting on something my family doctor told me in my twenties after an accident that I got up and walked away from, and probably shouldn't have.

He said "You have the pain tolerance of a dead horse." It seems now there might be some truth in that.

WOWZY WOW WOW WOW Snagster :scared:= been out taking care of the new grandkid, come back and read this = SO GLAD YOUR OK - got cha on my Prayers Up list brother!!!!!! Talk about an eye opener!!!

Kind of nuts cause I been thru a little bit of some of this same stuff.. Been chasing down some extreme tiredness myself, in and out of hospitals and surgeries.. Had the tuner (pace maker) installed late last fall.. Seems to be holding its own = nothing below 60 beats at rest (was down into the 30's before pace maker).. Follow up for my + Cancer byopsie showed things were doubling at 90 day intervals.. They hooked me right up and did a bunch of carving and removing stuff.. Jan 9 - On the way into the surgery room for the cancer surgery the Anisteezzologist walked over to me and said "did you know that your heart is working twice as hard on one side as on the other:doh:? and that you have "Pulmanary Hypertension"?" I said no,, I know I have been thru a LOT thru the last 3 years and finally ended up with a pacemaker but nothing like that was ever told to me after any of my tests...

Reading your story here reminded me that I gotta make an appointment with my Cardiologist to find out what in tar-nation that is all about.. THANK YOU for the reminder here my friend!!!:happy34:

Puc