IGNORED

New Venture Model?

craigatcsi

Later?

The Dallas show was not very promising for folks who like touring cruisers with "real" liquid cool and shaft drive. As far as "real" liquid cool with shaft drive and what I would call a real tourer I only found BMW RT1200 (it is only liquid in the heads) and K1600. There wasn't a Goldwing there. Large local Honda dealer has not seen a 2017 GW yet but assumes 2017s are on their way. So if Honda is still in the touring market there is the Goldwing for a tourer with true liquid cool and shaft.

There were shaft drive, liquid cool cruisers there by Suzuki.

Of course Yamaha still makes the FJR1300 that is a good sport tourer. I probably would buy one if I was not so damn short.

I heard mention of a new Venture model in a previous topic but am unsure if they were joking or not.

I did google New Yamaha Venture but found nothing.

Or, is it still dead?

craigr

A little early for April Fools are you kidding? :rotf::rotf::rotfl::rotfl:

I heard mention of a new Venture model in a previous topic but am unsure if they were joking or not.

I did google New Yamaha Venture but found nothing.

Or, is it still dead?

craigr

Yamaha rep at Edmonton Motorcycle show claimed a new touring bike announcement June 2017. Maybe for 2018 model year??? Or 2024??

I have a friend who has a friend who is married to a girl who is a cousin to a Yamaha rep and he says she says Yamaha will be introducing a new Venture last week. For sure.

Mike

Mike is right. I have seen it - I paid them a visit next week and had a look. It is a very nice bike !

Well, from 1993-1999.

And that is why I haven't given up on a new Venture from Yamaha. It's not due for another year.

From what I remember about the Japanese, a small team worked on specific items. They took their time researching market, testing, etc.. i worked with Hitachi on their broadcast cameras for a year. A very small team, one young man with my small company and a small group in LA, were responsible for the United States version of their best camera. We tested, made changes, got a new version, tested, etc. Changes were sent to Japan, a new version was sent back for testing. It was an interesting way to make a product. Because they listened to us guys in the field using their cameras!! I was under an NDA for a year... But got to use the very latest $40k camera.

So is Yamaha works the same, they have a small team working on the Venture, with an even smaller team testing in the US.

So I don't expect anything for a while yet. But who knows? If the spy pics showing two bikes taken a while back are the new Ventures, and they sure look like Yamaha parts on them, the new scoot may come out this year. But that would be early in my thinking.

The other side of all this is... If the company changes their mind before they gear up to run the manufacturing line, very little $$ is lost in the process. So a shut down could come at any time...

And I would be ok with a VTwin version as long as it's liquid cooled and shaft driven. The V4 is fantastic, but expensive to build. A VTwin has more appeal, more torque and far easier to build and repair. Just sayin....

:biker::beer:

And that is why I haven't given up on a new Venture from Yamaha. It's not due for another year.

From what I remember about the Japanese, a small team worked on specific items. They took their time researching market, testing, etc.. i worked with Hitachi on their broadcast cameras for a year. A very small team, one young man with my small company and a small group in LA, were responsible for the United States version of their best camera. We tested, made changes, got a new version, tested, etc. Changes were sent to Japan, a new version was sent back for testing. It was an interesting way to make a product. Because they listened to us guys in the field using their cameras!! I was under an NDA for a year... But got to use the very latest $40k camera.

So is Yamaha works the same, they have a small team working on the Venture, with an even smaller team testing in the US.

So I don't expect anything for a while yet. But who knows? If the spy pics showing two bikes taken a while back are the new Ventures, and they sure look like Yamaha parts on them, the new scoot may come out this year. But that would be early in my thinking.

The other side of all this is... If the company changes their mind before they gear up to run the manufacturing line, very little $$ is lost in the process. So a shut down could come at any time...

And I would be ok with a VTwin version as long as it's liquid cooled and shaft driven. The V4 is fantastic, but expensive to build. A VTwin has more appeal, more torque and far easier to build and repair. Just sayin....

:biker::beer:

I am hearing ya brother!! Just cant get my head around belt or chain drive for longgggggggggggg distance CTFW fun - sort of a step back in time and way to spoiled by my experiences having worn out 5 shaft drive 83's... On the other side of that coin though,,,, it is sort of disconcerting to know that Honda REALLY took a HUGE shot at the "shaft drive, water cooled, Big Twin" with that VTX1800 and it just didnt work (lousy seller). Have seen LOTS of em on the used market for cheap!! Maybe a full blown fixed fairing version of such a gritter would be able to compete,, for some reason I have my reservations about it.. Bottom line though for me (like you),, I would have NO PROBLEM putting such a sweetheart to the test cause I am always open to easier maintenance, be rid of the carb issues, loving on the sound of V-Twin and feeling the freight train like TORQUE of a massive pistoned Big Twin water cooled Mom Yam Venture!!

:scratchchin:,,,, Mom Yam - if your reading this,,,,,,,, would rather have a 175 horse, 1700cc, V-4 V-max motored 3rd Gen Venture though :178::witch_brew::crackup:

It's true!

Earlier today photographer captured this picture of a Yeti riding a prototype of the 2018 Venture.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=108260

:scared:,,, I have seen a picture of that lop eared varmint before,,,,,,,,, isnt he one of our Club members?

:scratchchin:,,,, Mom Yam - if your reading this,,,,,,,, would rather have a 175 horse, 1700cc, V-4 V-max motored 3rd Gen Venture though :178::witch_brew::crackup:
What is it about displacement that gets guys excited? I've mentioned this before, in my opinion the FJR 1300 would make a good baseline for a new touring bike. If you are reasonably happy with The Venture which has only 90 HP then how much better would you like it with 145 HP? Not to mention a lower center of gravity and all the necessities for a good touring bike... except that it's too short and has crappy seating and and even worse storage. Yamaha could take the front half of the FJR and attach the rear end of a MkII and create a new touring bike with everything needed. Wouldn't be too difficult to lower the seat a bit to fit the inseam challenged. Not too much new engineering needed to produce that hybrid. Probably the biggest negative to doing this is it would not have cruiser styling. Yamaha has the Star brand which offers cruiser styling and a V-twin so they would be covered on both fronts.

On another front, too bad Motus doesn't put their engine into a cruiser for either cruising or touring. Listen to that 1650 cc 160 HP bad boy on the link just below the pic of the engine. It even gets my worn out old heart going pitter-patter. For the adventurous, Motus sells crated engines. Wonder how hard they would be to put into an RSV?

Yamaha has done a good job in the past building motorcycles from a parts bin so why not build a modern touring bike from the left over bits from the Venture.

What is it about displacement that gets guys excited? I've mentioned this before, in my opinion the FJR 1300 would make a good baseline for a new touring bike. If you are reasonably happy with The Venture which has only 90 HP then how much better would you like it with 145 HP? Not to mention a lower center of gravity and all the necessities for a good touring bike... except that it's too short and has crappy seating and and even worse storage. Yamaha could take the front half of the FJR and attach the rear end of a MkII and create a new touring bike with everything needed. Wouldn't be too difficult to lower the seat a bit to fit the inseam challenged. Not too much new engineering needed to produce that hybrid. Probably the biggest negative to doing this is it would not have cruiser styling. Yamaha has the Star brand which offers cruiser styling and a V-twin so they would be covered on both fronts.

On another front, too bad Motus doesn't put their engine into a cruiser for either cruising or touring. Listen to that 1650 cc 160 HP bad boy on the link just below the pic of the engine. It even gets my worn out old heart going pitter-patter. For the adventurous, Motus sells crated engines. Wonder how hard they would be to put into an RSV?

Yamaha has done a good job in the past building motorcycles from a parts bin so why not build a modern touring bike from the left over bits from the Venture.

I hear ya Cammy and I really have no answer for the solution to your question of why........ I always filed my issues with those issues under the heading of "some kind of flaw in my charecter" :big-grin-emoticon:.. I do know this,,,, someday when Tip aint looking ,,, Lord willing and the creek dont rise,,, a v-8 powered Boss Hoss is gonna follow me home to seek refuge in my garage :missingtooth::biker::biker: cause I got and have suffered all my life with the "there is NO replacement for displacement" syndrome..... :witch_brew::witch_brew::witch_brew::stirthepot::stirthepot::stirthepot:

For those that don't know, a couple of years ago, I did the Hannigan Trike conversion on my Blue / Black 07 Venture.

Anyways, this thread got me to thinking more..... Now that I have invested 20k on the conversion, on top of the 15k that I paid for my bike, I am kinda stuck with her for a bit. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Trike, I wish I had done it in 07! But.... Say they do come out with a new Venture and I really like it. After investing all of that money on the conversion, plus the other accessories, I am going to ride her for awhile to get at least some of my money out of her. And, I doubt that I will ever trike another bike. They lose the value of the conversion so fast, that I would probably just look for one that has already been converted.

craigr