IGNORED

Victory Motorcycles is dead

Mover

DAMG IT !!!!!!!! Finally found a bike that fits me, handles well for me and is fairly easy to maintain. So now I will probably loose my A$$ on a possible resale. Well at least they have to keep parts stock for 10yr. Bad news is they can charge what ever the heck they want for them because once they are gone....... The way I read it (granted may be some between the lines) Polaris is cutting Victory to spend the money they made selling those bikes to try to keep a "old name" bike producing. But if any of you have priced out those Injuns they are WAY pricey. For a comparable Victory touring bike the Indian is like 7k more. I like the edgy look of the Vic and thats kind of what led me that way because they look different and set out from the crowd. To me a 1980's Glide looks the same as a 2017. I see no design apearence, I realize there had to have been frame improvements. The XCT is a sport bike compared to the RSV. Well once again I get to own a lame duck vehicle. Guess I can add pictures of this bike to the ones of the RSV, the AMC, and my Trans AM.:95::95::255:

Exactly the reason (well, one of them) that I bought Victory. The looks (speaking for the XCT, not the Vision). The RSV, Kaw Voyager, Harley EGU, and now the Indian ... all big touring bikes that all have similar lines. Only the Vic XCT stands out from the crowd IMHO and frankly, it out performs and out handles all of those bikes and is super simple to work on. Dropping this product is sad, sad news IMO.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is some sad stuff in my humble opinion. The few times I've test ridden Victory's, and especially the CCT and Visions, they turned me on. I was highly impressed with their smoothness and nimble handling. I coveted the CCT and was severely jealous of SilverT for quite some time. Lol.

As far as their styling, well, thats what mad them appealing to me. They weren't the same ole design that the other bikes are. I'm still kind of stunned while I'm typing this.

The only thing we can hope is Polaris will now double their efforts at making the Indian line a world class bike. They're nice, but nowhere near on the level of what Harley is offering when you compare all the technology stuff and such. Maybe Indian will now come out with bikes that don't have fender skirts, studded seats, and leather strings hanging off of it for folks that don't want that kind of stuff.

I don't know. I'm just babbling because I'm stunned. Sad.

Here's some retro styling that Yamaha can't match....sorry couldn't get picture to rotate

IMG_0034.jpg

I've owned both the Victory and the so called Polaris Indian they dropped the wrong bike. Engine and transmission design is superior in the Victory compared to the Polaris Indian. Polaris Indians shift hard when cold and spark knock even using premium gas when cold or hot.

Let's face it, At the end of the day, it's all down to the bottom line! Polaris obviously think they are making or will make more from the Indian brand.

I suspect that Polaris are looking to cash in on nostalgia & the "Indian" name, (Ha! It surprises me that they've not had to change the name & the logo with all the PC crap that's around)

We walked into a Victory dealer some weeks ago & my wife fell in love with a used "Vision Ltd" they had in. That one sold, but we've been back a few times looking at new ones. Just don't know now.

The Victory models are imho superior in every way. Looks, specs, handling, & feel, &... for my wife to love one they must have "something". But what do we know? Sad to see Victory name disappear. Let's hope someone with Vision (pun intended) will buy the name & take on the brand, it has been known to happen!

They probably had to license or pay someone to use the "Indian" name. Who cares how much they spent on designing and developing the Victory's. It's all about the name. Their profit margin is probably greater on the Indian bikes as well so some bean counter said to keep the Indian line.

They probably had to license or pay someone to use the "Indian" name. Who cares how much they spent on designing and developing the Victory's. It's all about the name. Their profit margin is probably greater on the Indian bikes as well so some bean counter said to keep the Indian line.

Yup! ... it all boils down to profit margin and they're not the first mfg to drop a line due to that ... Pontiac, Oldsmobile come to mind. Now with Polaris it's "sorry, we don't sell Victory any more but hey, we got a great deal on this Indian over here..." and all of a sudden Indian motorcycle sales skyrocket!

A few years later, when Indian is practically dominating the market .... "Polaris announces the return of the Victory line...." .... It's nothing but a F%$&ing game!

:Bunny2:

This comes as no surprise. Stock holder news letters and factory reps have been talking at this subject without coming righteous and saying it for at least 2 years. What is interesting is the chance that the "Octane", "Cross Tour" and "Vision" may see new life as models under the new LOGO. The issue has been, R&D as well as tooling for two different platforms. Just as mother yamaha decided to close out the "Star" line and bring those bikes back under the crossed forks. As far as the future of the "Slingshot" and others? Indian logo on the slingshot is a long shot, However don't be surprised to see the "Scout" name badge on a quad with in the next year. There may also be some names lent to the snowmobile division as well as the Watercraft division.The buying of the "indian" name was because it took so long for the Victory name to gain traction in a piss poor economy, and now they are going to push just one cart. I for one would have prefered to see the Indian line under the Victory label

It seems the winds of change are blowing across corporate america it could just be timing of the long 11 year economic cycle or the change of resident at 1600 Pennsylvania ave. I advise everyone to perk up their ears, both the two wheel and four wheel industries are going to see significant changes in legislation to allow more rapid deployment of new concepts to the street.

I posted a comment over on one of the Victory boards. I suggested a rally of the riders at corporate HQ let the big wheels know we were there and when they come out to make a "thanks for supporting us in this change" kind of thing. Give them a:rasberry: big ol raspberry and the finger.

My opinion doesn't count since I will never buy a new bike that expensive but I didn't like the swoopy design of their bikes. They should have had one model that looked like a Harley since that is what everybody is copying anyway. All the other bike manufacturers aren't selling that many bikes seems to me except for Harley. Makes me wonder how they are staying in business. Probably from selling smaller bikes internationally.

If they are going to concentrate on the Indian and Slingshot then the first thing they need to do is lower the price on the bikes. I priced out a new Roadmaster and with tax and all...........over 36K. That is ALOT of cash. As far a another posy on here claiming that Indian is out selling Harley, I call horse hockey on that. I can get a reeeeeeaaaally nice Harley for about 7K less than the Indian. If they were out selling Harley, there would be a boat load on the road. I have only seen less than a dozen on the road last summer here in Michigan. But......I could be wrong. Nah...I am never wrong.

Polaris messed up when they designed their on engine for the Indian. They have a good handling bike with a inferior engine and transmission. They should have used the S&S engine as Indian did before.

Polaris intended to give Indian it's own identity, thus a unique engine that obviously will go through growing-pains in the first few years of implementing a brand new design. Using an S&S crate engine like the Gilroy bikes would have made it "just another Harley clone."

THis is just me. So, please don't go crazy and jump on me for saying this:

I have never understood why old looking styles are loved by so many people in the cruiser/tourer motorcycle world, and when somebody comes out with a fresh new look and design, ie: Victory, these such people chastise it and such. This thought pattern doesn't hold true in almost 100% of rest of our lives. You don't hear people saying, "that 50" flat panel high def sony tv is just plain ugly! Give me an old 1980 style Sony 36" tube tv, now that is beautiful, and it looks like a real TV". Or, you don't hear folks ranting and raving that that new GMC, Ford, Dodge crew cab truck with all the cool angles and features they have nowadays are just plain atrocious! Give me an old 1977 single cab pickup with no air and drum brakes. Now thats beautiful, and it looks like a truck! Our houses look and function way better today. We don't wear bell bottom pants and leisure suites today because, they were once cool, but looking back now, theyre kinda silly and old looking. I haven't ran across anybody recently (or ever) that thinks the looks and functions of our phones today are worse than the old rotary dials with 20' phone cords we used to have. Etc, etc, etc.

People in general want advancement and sleeker, new looking stuff in all of their other possessions, except for the cruiser/touring motorcycle world. Man, I gotta tell ya, there are some serious style stuck in the mud folk among our biker brethren. I think Victory offered an extremely cool, fresh alternative to the same old crap that has been forced down our throats for years. But, in the end, Victory way underestimated how style unconscious, and stuck in their ways guys are in general.

It's very common for products to be brought to the market "before their time". Victory is probably one of those products. They were far more advanced and forward thinking than the average cruiser/tourer rider is. I think it is both sad and hilarious that Polaris is having to change their focus to a bike that is a blast from the past to be able to stay alive in the market. With that reasoning in mind, Polaris oughta get into the kitchen remodeling business. They could sell a ton of our cruiser buddys a bunch of formica counters, linolium floors, and avocado colored non stainless steel appliances.

This is from April 2016 - http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/2016/04/22/polaris-indian-picking-up-speed-in-motorcycle-industry.html

"Polaris is competing for a bigger piece of a market long dominated by Harley-Davidson
, which controlled about 51% of U.S. motorcycle sales in the first quarter. Globally, Harley-Davidson’s quarterly motorcycle revenue increased 5% to $1.3 billion, far exceeding Polaris’ sales total of $188 million including parts and accessories."

From Sept 2016 - http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2016/09/13/harley-davidson-tough-times-ahead-in-the-domestic-market/#5c08974c4736

Also found this :

"What is the most popular motorcycle in the world?
Polaris, Ducati,
Honda
, BMW, and Harley Davidson are all popular and hugely successful motorcycle companies. But which one is the World's Best Selling Motorcycle Company? Surprisingly, the world's best selling motorcycle company is a
Honda"

Talking about stats or trends... (May 2016) - http://brandongaille.com/33-staggering-motorcycle-industry-trends/

http://www.freedoniagroup.com/industry-study/world-motorcycles-2972.htm

Edited by XV1100SE

Much of the Harley market is all about image. The aero looking swoopy motorcycle probably isn't the image most buyers are looking for. I'm not speaking for myself. I've never wanted a Harley. After learning to ride on my vibrating Honda CB350 parallel twin and then riding my 73 Honda CB750 Four back in 73, I could never be happy with the vibration no matter how cool I looked. Make mine a four that functions well. I never cared to be or tried to be cool. I might would be happy with a BMW R bike?

Look under thread 2016 Springfield Indian for my review on Polaris Indian. I'm not as handy on forwarding links on here as I should be. The input is the ninth one down.

Here's the link to WildBill's Post

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?119081-Anyone-have-info-on-the-new-2016-Indian-Springfield&highlight=2016+springfield+indian

Well I'm still peaved off on this deal. But I have calmed a bit I guess. When you look at it, its not much different than say Chevy discontinuing the SS after this year, or that pick up that looked like it was from the 40's they had a few years back that only sold for a couple years. Or any model car they stop making. Only a couple parts may concern me for replacement. Plastics of course, fuel pump and sprockets maybe. After dealing with the RSV and some other things I think there are smart enough folks around to come up with work arounds. Like maybe the fuel pump from an Indian made to work for a Cross bike or something like that.