IGNORED

1st Gen exhaust crossover

Stanman

I'm wondering if anyone has a decent exhaust crossover from a Gen 1. The pipes on my '86 are starting to burn through where the mufflers attach. What is a used one worth? There is a complete exhaust system on e-bay, but I don't need all the extra parts.

I'm wondering if anyone has a decent exhaust crossover from a Gen 1. The pipes on my '86 are starting to burn through where the mufflers attach. What is a used one worth? There is a complete exhaust system on e-bay, but I don't need all the extra parts.
The part you refer to is actually called a collector. When my 90 experienced this issue I took the collector in to my local muffler shop and had all of the pipe stubs replaced. This worked out to be less expensive than buying an old used one which may need to be repaired anyway.

The part you refer to is actually called a collector. When my 90 experienced this issue I took the collector in to my local muffler shop and had all of the pipe stubs replaced. This worked out to be less expensive than buying an old used one which may need to be repaired anyway.

Thanks! I have to admit I didn't think of that. I will have to look into this next spring as my bike is already i storage for the winter

Thanks! I have to admit I didn't think of that. I will have to look into this next spring as my bike is already i storage for the winter
Winter storage??? What's that? :snow: :sun:

Keep in mind, replacing the pipe stubs is not a normal muffler shop duty. They will need to have enough time to focus and think of what is necessary to get the job done. Best to get the collector to them during a time when they are not too busy. After the rush to get winter tires on and before the rush to get the studs off. Might seem a bit odd but around here, at least, the local muffler shops do more than just exhaust systems.

Winter storage??? What's that? :snow: :sun: It's actually maintenance season.

Keep in mind, replacing the pipe stubs is not a normal muffler shop duty. They will need to have enough time to focus and think of what is necessary to get the job done. Best to get the collector to them during a time when they are not too busy. After the rush to get winter tires on and before the rush to get the studs off. Might seem a bit odd but around here, at least, the local muffler shops do more than just exhaust systems.

Keep searching ebay every day. That's how I found one. Look at the pix closely. Don't buy a rusty one.

And I second the idea of taking it to the shop and see what they can do. some welders are amazing.

I took the one I got off ebay to the welding shop i like and had them touch it up. Was cheap and so far so good.